SBS - The best value in QMS software

Operational QMS (Dubai) vs. compliant QMS (UK)

P

Peter West

Dear Coveists,

Happy Easter. I hope you are all having a good one. I unfortunately am working as there is no Easter bank holiday in the Middle East. Grrr.

I have been charged with leaving our UK offices (where a certified QMS has been up and running for many years) and moving to Dubai to set up the foundations of a QMS.

I have noticed that in order for procedures etc to be followed here in Dubai, they need to be simple to such a degree that I wonder how much of a structured system can actually be implemented.

I see little problem with filing systems and document management however the introduction of new procedures and documents (i.e. a quality project plan with details such as scope of project, sub-consultants to be used, key personnel involved in verification) is going to be a lot more challenging.

I have been told "if it is complicated, people won't use it, if it is too different, people won't use it, if it is too detailed, people won't use it".

I am almost stumped as to how I can simultaneously cover the ISO's requirements, provide benefit to the company's operations AND ensure/keep people working to the procedure. 2 out of 3 at the moment is all I can get.

Any experience of similar problems, or of handling different work mentalities (internationally) would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Re: Operational QMS (Dubai) vs compliant QMS (UK)

I have noticed that in order for procedures etc to be followed here in Dubai, they need to be simple to such a degree that I wonder how much of a structured system can actually be implemented.
I can feel your pain and its quite common in the non-English speaking world.

Wouldn't it be better to:
1. Get them to document what they do and how they do in a simple manner such as bullet form and in their language.
2. Identify any weaknesses and correct it
3. Identify any gaps w.r.t ISO 9001 requirements and fill it.
4. Discuss, explain why changes are necessary, get agreement and pass it back to them for implementation.

Sorry, I am assuming that you are trying to get them to implement a workable system transplanted from else where.

On second thought, you could be trying to extend and implement the system from UK to your Dubai office - in which case, you need to also fill the gap between what they do there and your HQ (if you desire to have one common system). Common flow charts could be one way to overcome this because flow-charting interpretation is quite universal. I had done this for our quantity surveying arm.

Last edited:
P

Peter West

Thanks for that I like the idea of using our existing flowcharts along with a gap analysis I am completing at the moment.

I am trying to use as much of the UK's existing system as possible here so we can maintain a degree of international uniformity. I expect to be implementing the QMS in a few other places after this.

I am off to print out the charts and sit with a few people.

Thanks again

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource

Thanks for that I like the idea of using our existing flowcharts along with a gap analysis I am completing at the moment.

I am trying to use as much of the UK's existing system as possible here so we can maintain a degree of international uniformity. I expect to be implementing the QMS in a few other places after this.

I am off to print out the charts and sit with a few people.

Thanks again
Peter

One problem you may find is that (I am told) that there is a cultural "challenge" in the Middle East whereby there can be a reluctance to see in black and white that "I am responsible " for doing something. Nevertheless, we do have a UK user who opened an office in Dubai a couple of years ago and have used the same (flowcharted) system for both offices.

S

Sam4Quality

Originally Posted by Peter West

Dear Coveists,

Happy Easter. I hope you are all having a good one. I unfortunately am working as there is no Easter bank holiday in the Middle East. Grrr.

I have been charged with leaving our UK offices (where a certified QMS has been up and running for many years) and moving to Dubai to set up the foundations of a QMS.

I see little problem with filing systems and document management however the introduction of new procedures and documents (i.e. a quality project plan with details such as scope of project, sub-consultants to be used, key personnel involved in verification) is going to be a lot more challenging.

I have been told "if it is complicated, people won't use it, if it is too different, people won't use it, if it is too detailed, people won't use it".

I am almost stumped as to how I can simultaneously cover the ISO's requirements, provide benefit to the company's operations AND ensure/keep people working to the procedure. 2 out of 3 at the moment is all I can get.

Any experience of similar problems, or of handling different work mentalities (internationally) would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the jungle, Peter! Contrary to the quality-responsible countries like Europe, America, India and others, unfortunately, Quality as such is conspicously in its nascent stage here in the Middle east. I am working in Kuwait for the past 5 years, and what can I say about the quality culture here! Its absolutely pathetic and irresponsible here to say the least. There are definitely a few internationally recognised companies here who do follow the norms and standards; however, they too are dragged into the vortex of the so-called 'chill' culture here!

No matter how much you try to get them in line :whip:, difficulties are abound. I am not discouraging you here, just trying to tell you build a strong ethical wall around you to avoid being sucked in by the 'vortex'!

Yes, you will need to develop a very simple system here, and despite the simplicity, you will need to constantly be on your toes to make them implement it and maintain it. Though, I cannot say in the same sense as Dubai, where you are based. Unfortunately, ignorance still triumphs here!

Inspite of all that I cribbed above, you CAN develop a fine system, non-complicated and simplistic for everyone to understand. Use these simple rules:
1. They have to be spoon-fed on the QMS
2. They all hate paper work, especially writing what they are already doing. I have a Maintenance guy here who does not maintain machine maintenance records (for mfg plant) despite repeatedly throwing NC's at him. Reason? If the machine is running, what's the paper for! :mad:
3. Use the 'I-am-your-friend-lets-do-it-together' approach, not the 'You-have-to-do-what-I-say' approach. 'I' can also mean 'standards'. :D
4. Despite their ability to read procedures and use a simple form having the entire process link, you will need to explain them how to use it.
5. After repeatedly telling them, the QMS is everyone's responsibility, they still feel it is the MR's responsibility. Why else do we have a QA Dept then?

I have not touched, technically how simple a documentation you can develop, but these pointers will help you to develop the forced relationship with them to implement the system, I ....hope!

Hope this helps!

Ciao.:cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L OpEx (Operational Excellence) Documents in QMS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I ISO 22000:2018 - Operational Prerequisite Program Examples Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Z Operational Qualification for Injection Molding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
O Air Flow - Which is the operational difference between LAF (vertical and horizontal) and RLAF? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational UK – Brexit operational readiness guidance for the health and care system in England Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
T Operational setup of how FIFO / Process Map on Lithium Batteries is done Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C AS9100D, Clause 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J Installation Qualification (IQ) and Operational Qualification (OQ) for Laser Marking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Management control Procedures & Operational Control Procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R AS9100D Cl. 8.4.2 - Identify Raw Material as a Significant Operational Risk AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
L Heated Sealed Packages - Sample Size for OQ (Operational Qualification) and PQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
A Quality Department - Operational Framework Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A Operational Procedure for an IT Service Industry Quality Department Service Industry Specific Topics 1
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A IT Managed Services Company Quality Department - Operational Document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G How have you addressed Cl 4.4.6 Operational Control ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
E Operational Qualification of a Drug Box Coding Device in Production Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J OQ (Operational Qualification) for Liquid-Water Isotope Analyser Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
B Usage of Parts from OQ (Operational Qualification) Mold Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B OQ (Operational Qualification) of a Freeze Dryer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
I Quality and Operational Excellence Training Institutes in Europe Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
W ISO 14644 Cleanroom Validation - "Operational" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Quality Manual - ISO 17025 required Mandatory and Operational Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
S Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Requirement Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
J OHSAS 18001 Clause 4.4.6 Operational Control Example Procedure Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
M Determining Sample Size needed for Operational Qualification (OQ) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 24
G Evaluation of Training for Operational Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
K Operational Prerequisite Programmes (oPRP) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S What does "Operational Review" mean as tool - Effectiveness of Internal Control Risk Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
L OQ (Operational Qualification) for Electropolish - Orthopedic Cutting Tools Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Packaging / Heat Sealer Validation - IOQ (Installation/Operational Qualification) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 15
A ISO 14001:2004 Clause 4.4.6 - Operational control (in English) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
D Good operational definition for Schedule Variance Software Quality Assurance 2
A Sample Documented Procedures that satisfy 4.4.6 Operational Control wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
Q Operational Qualification of a CNC machine ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Laser Weld Operational Qualification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Operational Qualification for injection molding process Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
D Procedures in Communication, Operational Control, etc. - ISO 14001 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C CNC Machine Operational Qualification Recoverability Testing Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Identification of Operational Prerequisite Programs (oPRP) for ready to eat products Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
W IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PPAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H Basic questions about Installation, Operational & Performance Qualification - PCBA Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
S Operational Excellence Assessment of multiple sites - Seeking examples Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
T DFT - Demand Flow Technology - Operational Sheets (WI) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C ISO 13485 and IQ (Installation Qualification), OQ (Operational Qualification) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30