Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining

Satellite

Involved In Discussions
I'm looking for opinions on the "best" CMM for high accuracy machining. I have features with tolerances of .010mm to as small as .005mm. GD&T, complex geometry, medium size 140mm long x 75mm diameter to small 6mm long x 2.5mm diameter.

I have a controlled and fairly stable 24 hr temperature - not HVLP. We do have established soak times.

There is a company preference for one brand but we have problems finding programmers. I'm looking for other options. I'm looking for a .5m cube measuring envelope.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I've seen both MicroVu and OGP work well in that range.

I have a preference toward MicroVu for ease of programming and automation of repetitive tasks.

Lots of systems out there...these are the two I've played with...HTH

normzone

There is a company preference for one brand but we have problems finding programmers. I'm looking for other options. I'm looking for a .5m cube measuring envelope.

I had a very negative experience with the last CMM I was involved with - no technical support and very little training available from the distributor, and no user manual so you could go it alone.

I would be very cautious going into a relationship with a CMM supplier again - once they have your money you may be left on your own. This could be a contributing factor to your difficulty finding persons knowledgeable with the machine.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We use two Zeiss CMM's with Calypso software. Both are scanning heads with rotating heads. You can do a ton with them. Calypso is also an incredibly nice approach to CMM programming. If PC-Dimus is G-Code/M-Code programming then Calypso is Conversational programming (sort of). As far as tolerances, you can run CMMs like ours to check millionths and tighter. But the room you check it in will cost more than the machine you buy. It's all about temperature control at that point, walking up to the machine can change results due to operator body temperature. These CMMs would be plenty.

If you would like good training and great sales support let me know. We purchase from a supplier that gets it done well. I can also answer more questions if you have them, I've learned a ton recently :).

Edit: I nearly forgot. One super handy approach. Find out what your customers and suppliers are using. Some will share CMM programs with you, not all obviously, and it helps to use the same programming software. Plus it's added guidance on research.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
It's been a long time since I've worked with CMMs, but at those tolerances, you will also want to look closely at your styli (e.g., ball diameter, stem length, ball and stem material, etc.), lobing error and cosine errors.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Find out what your customers and suppliers are using. Some will share CMM programs with you, not all obviously, and it helps to use the same programming software. Plus it's added guidance on research.

Totally good call !

This can also make future PPAP's with the customer go smoothly as well.

When the customer engineer tells his own QC guy "that's the exact same way we do it"...it shuts off a lot of avenues of debate.

O

oldmanian

Having just been through the purchase of a new CMM we looked at all the brands available in Australia. Zeiss was by far the most accurate with a price to match, Mitutoyo and Sheffield also have good machines. The decision came down to the dollars available and it was decided to go with a Perceptron machine from COORD 3 in Turin. This machine will do all we need in our inspection processes.
We also are trialling the software PAS CMM which is a CMM programming software and this will help us very well in preparing the programmes. So far it has worked well but we are still a long way from being totally on top of it.
Temperature control is as you said important so best of luck with your decision.

Kingsld1

Involved In Discussions
All the major CMM OEM's make equipment in the size and accuracy you need.
It seems the real problem is finding someone who can do the measurements.

Maybe flip things around and look for your measurement guy first.

All the high tech inspection equipment in the world is worse than useless in the wrong hands.

C

chandaraasekar

We use Zeiss-1X1 m with calypso , Renishaw Equator , Faro 1M Free arm CMM all these 3 can work with SATELLITE's range of measurements.
The real challenge is application of the software by the CMM-operator.

I would recommend , you first find a CMM operator then search a machine that you need to buy.

D Scott

Registered
I have been programming and running CMM's for over 15 years. I haven't run a lot of brands, mostly Zeiss. B&S and Mit too. Hands down I prefer Zeiss, And within Zeiss's stable of machines the Micura is just incredible ! At 500 X 500 X 500, it is not a very large machine but, it's a .7 micron machine. from 0.7 + L/400 μm to be exact ! We are a precision grinding shop servicing a variety of customers in a wide variety of industries. Up until now a CMM for our shop was usually considered " not accurate enough" to meet our needs. The Micura is tighter than we imagined. It calibrates at roughly 1/2 the guaranteed .7 microns. Repeatability is beyond words. We have a temp probe that checks the actual temp of the part and applies the COE of the material to adjust the size to 68 degrees . At approx $150,000 it's not super expensive and in my opinion worth every penny. We purchased a second machine 6 months after the first one.

And NO, I don't work for Zeiss

Top Bottom