Opinions regarding the ASQ Certified Calibration Technician (CCT)

T

TIMMYS - 2010

Greetings,

I am interested in opinions regarding the Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) testing offered by ASQ.

I have reviewed the training information that I bought and only see information that is already published including some information that I don't necessarily agree. I really think that a Certified Calibration Technician should be certified to perform actual calibrations. I have an entire bookcase of reference materials that include calculations, standards, etc. This certification does nothing for my lab personnel other than to create anxiety over paying for a certification that they will only be reimbursed for if they pass.

I will look for posts. If anyone wants to reply privately to this post my email address is TIM.STEFANICatATKdotCOM.

Thanks,
TIMMYS

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Duke Okes

Re: Certified Calibration Technician

In order to certify techs to actually do calibrations it would have to be specific as to type of calibration (e.g., mechanical, electrical, optical ...). The CCT is more about the basic knowledge that underlies calibration techniques and managing a calibration program.

If it doesn't fit to what you want you can develop your own internal calibration technician certification, if that's what you're after.

T

TIMMYS - 2010

Thanks for your response. I realize that the certification is only the knowledge and not the hands on training. However, my director of quality who is an ASQ member feels that the certification promotes the same value as the ASA mechanics certification that is found hanging on the walls of auto dealership service centers. I don't agree with him on this. My techs can always refer to the Metrology Handbook and Jurans Quality Control Handbook along with many other published items that we keep for reference. Basically, what I am looking for is hands on training like the type that is offered by Mitutoyo Corporation, Fluke and others. I agree that most of that type of training is specific to the applications.

I again thank you for your response and feedback.

Regards,
Timmys

C

crendfrey

Greetings Timmys,

The only true certification I have personal knowledge of is that offered by ISWM.
International Society of Weighing and Measurement.

They offer Handbook 44 certification as well as Weighing Technician, Weighing Salesperson, Weighing Professional certifications. They are fairly well regarded in my industry.

This may not be what you are looking for, but it could be a place to start.

Should you find anything more suitable to your industry, please pass it on…..

Thank you.

afuller

Registered
My boss was the same way. If I got the CCT then I should be fully certified to perform calibrations. That's certainly not the case, nor has ASQ ever sold it as such. I found the information to be very helpful to my job as a calibration technician and it does help with our ISO audit.
I would recommend getting the CCT to get a good ground knowledge of the basic information needed.
As far as hands on, I've never really been able to find anything out there. If you do I'd love to know what and where it is.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
A number of folks here are correct, the CCT does not mean one is able to perform one type or another of calibration.....the certification is general and is a knowledge exam.....

That was the goal of those of us that were part of the development for this exam.....follow-on discipline-specific and practical exams were discussed, but I am not sure of their status.....

What CCT will do for you is provide a measured level of knowledge.....if you are an accredited lab that may save some time of your assessor going through training records.....it also provides evidence that your people are true recognized professionals.....

The Mexican certification PROCERH includes both knowledge and practical exam.....but the budget has that one stalled right now.....

CCT is not perfect, but it IS the first Metrology industry-developed, nationwide and even international certification....

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Top Bottom