Opportunity to become senior 'Subcontractor Quality Management' Engineer

T

terranceyu

Hello to all folks,

Currently I am reading an interesting job ad which stated in the subject title, and it attemp me to apply me to explore new horizon and put my capabilities to test, since all my projects already came to fruition, which is now having pretty good and steady sales and excellent quality. However the job ad seems to have some different from the current job what I working which, which is more to supplier management.

Do you think I should tailor my resume to meet the needs?

Terrance

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Opportunity to become senior subcontractor Quality Management Engineer

Hello to all folks,

Currently I am reading an interesting job ad which stated in the subject title, and it attemp me to apply me to explore new horizon and put my capabilities to test, since all my projects already came to fruition, which is now having pretty good and steady sales and excellent quality. However the job ad seems to have some different from the current job what I working which, which is more to supplier management.

Terrance
It's hard to tell you how to tailor your resume and cover letter to get you to a face-to-face interview without seeing the ad and researching a little about the company offering the job.

If you are not afraid someone else will snatch up the job, you might give us the text of the ad and, if the company name is known, just delete it, saying, "name withheld." If you don't know the company, say that, too, and we can probably help you even more.

In short, the job title in the ad really is not enough to go on.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Hello to all folks,

Terrance
While it's possible to "tailor" a résumé to fit a given job solicitation, a résumé is just a detail of your employment history and particular skills. If there are skills that seem apropos to the position but aren't on your résumé, you should add them. But in general, a cover letter is the best place to succinctly describe how your skills and experience meet the needs of the employer as detailed in the advertisement, and gleaned from your own research on the company.

T

terranceyu

It's hard to tell you how to tailor your resume and cover letter to get you to a face-to-face interview without seeing the ad and researching a little about the company offering the job.

If you are not afraid someone else will snatch up the job, you might give us the text of the ad and, if the company name is known, just delete it, saying, "name withheld." If you don't know the company, say that, too, and we can probably help you even more.

In short, the job title in the ad really is not enough to go on.
Wes, thanks for your opinion. :applause:

Now I attach the job ad per your perusal, and deleted the company name, as it is really famous company.

Name withheld

Responsibilities:
  • Manage the performance of several critical categories including Mechanical, EMS and ODM, suppliers and components to organization:
  • Responsible for championing supplier's capability for quality and delivery of high risk or unique components awarded to their assigned suppliers
  • Responsible for qualifying the high risk components awarded to their assigned categories and suppliers using PPAP / PSO process.
  • Responsible for championing onsite supplier process characterization (continuous improvement) efforts, supplier yield & capacity improvement.
  • Responsible for performing periodic quality assessments of their assigned suppliers and sub-categories
  • Establish and carry out programs to assure supplier material quality and reliability levels will consistently be within levels required by a high technology product.
  • Travel to supplier sites should be expected as part of implementation of improvement programs and continuous monitoring of supplier progress.
  • Participate in program supplier selection with Sourcing/Category Management/NPI/Engineering
  • Assess potential new suppliers for that commodity and make recommendations on which suppliers should be on the Approved Supplier List (ASL)
  • Lead Quality Meetings with suppliers and develop and monitor continuous improvement plans.
  • The candidate should have good problem solving knowledge to be able to independently solve problems and be able to drive corrective actions.
  • As a working level manager, this position will also lead a group of SDEs to achieve the team goals

Requirements:
  • Candidate must possess an Engineering Degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, Process)
  • 8 yrs+ experience (Manufacturing, Development, or manufacturing process related Quality role)
  • Knowledge in Mechanical category, EMS/ODM, manufacturing process, product reliability, supply chain
  • Engineering knowledge in DOE, FMEA, SPC, Process Characterization, GR&R
  • Sufficient command of the principles of statistics and quality assurance systems, and PPAP is preferred.
  • Green Belt / Black Belt preferred
  • Applicant must be able to interpret component specifications for the purpose of anticipating design or part discrepancies that will lead to part quality or reliability problems.
  • Good written & verbal communication (English), Presentation, Interpersonal skills
  • Self motivated & passionate to drive zero defect quality culture
  • Experience of people management and strong leadership skill are preferred

Wes Bucey

Quite a laundry list they lay out. It would be interesting to know whether this is a new position or replacing someone who had the job before.

Frankly, it seems like I am not quite sure whether the "subcontractor" designation in the job title refers to the status of the person chosen to be the incumbent (is the engineer a subcontractor?) or of the status of the suppliers he will oversee (a full-time engineer overseeing subcontractor suppliers? - someone with the function we here in the USA, especially in automotive, refer to as "Supplier Quality Assurance" [SQA].)

I have some ideas about structuring your experience and a cover letter to put you in contention for an interview, but there are no guarantees - this list is very specific and reads more like something written by an agency rather than an experienced, realistic Quality Manager who would be overseeing this position.

I'm tied up through the weekend on a series of seminars and one keynote speech I am presenting, so any actual ideas from me will have to wait, BUT I would like to hear from some other folks on how they view this job listing - I could be just over-analyzing it.

harry

Super Moderator

this list is very specific and reads more like something written by an agency rather than an experienced, realistic Quality Manager who would be overseeing this position.
Yes, it looks like the work of some HR professionals whether from the in-house HR department or some agencies. More likely, it was reproduce wholesale from the job description (of an ideal candidate) section of HR documents.

T

terranceyu

Frankly, it seems like I am not quite sure whether the "subcontractor" designation in the job title refers to the status of the person chosen to be the incumbent (is the engineer a subcontractor?) or of the status of the suppliers he will oversee (a full-time engineer overseeing subcontractor suppliers? - someone with the function we here in the USA, especially in automotive, refer to as "Supplier Quality Assurance" [SQA].)
To clarify, it is supplier quality assurance (SQA).

I have some ideas about structuring your experience and a cover letter to put you in contention for an interview, but there are no guarantees - this list is very specific and reads more like something written by an agency rather than an experienced, realistic Quality Manager who would be overseeing this position.
Yes, I am agreed with what you said. I guess I need to get the "inside people" to get more information, so that the resume and cover letter I am going to draft will be hitting the points of requirements.

I'm tied up through the weekend on a series of seminars and one keynote speech I am presenting, so any actual ideas from me will have to wait, BUT I would like to hear from some other folks on how they view this job listing - I could be just over-analyzing it.
Thanks, and I wish you could be some light how to work on my resume, to make it a better impression to the employer.

T

terranceyu

Dear Covers,

There is a lack of focus on your core strengths, competencies and core career objectives. Your information is all over the place, and not helping to reflect your capabilities. There is a need to mention your career highlights, quantifiable achievements and career direction in greater detail.

This is an advice from a friend who is very skillful in resume writing after reading my resume, but I didn't get the chance to talk to him, as he is busy with some urgent projects, and only able to meet with him again in another few months time.

I need to get a head start / technical advice from you all how to rewrite/tailor the CV from you guys in order not to give impression my CV was that it is doing a disservice to myself – given my potential contribution to the would-be employer, so that i would help to improve my chances of getting more Quality Interviews.

Your help is indeed appreciated.

Terrance

Wes Bucey

Dear Covers,

There is a lack of focus on your core strengths, competencies and core career objectives. Your information is all over the place, and not helping to reflect your capabilities. There is a need to mention your career highlights, quantifiable achievements and career direction in greater detail.

This is an advice from a friend who is very skillful in resume writing after reading my resume, but I didn't get the chance to talk to him, as he is busy with some urgent projects, and only able to meet with him again in another few months time.

I need to get a head start / technical advice from you all how to rewrite/tailor the CV from you guys in order not to give impression my CV was that it is doing a disservice to myself – given my potential contribution to the would-be employer, so that i would help to improve my chances of getting more Quality Interviews.

Your help is indeed appreciated.

Terrance
Earlier , you wrote
Yes, I am agreed with what you said. I guess I need to get the "inside people" to get more information, so that the resume and cover letter I am going to draft will be hitting the points of requirements.
Have you done this yet? Were you able to get to inside people? I'm not sure what the job market is in the geographic location of this listing, but I can tell you no USA company would fill such a position without some long and soulful review of candidates' resumes IF they really and truly want and need all the attributes listed. Do we have any idea how long this opening has been advertised?

Have you tried any of the tips we've listed in the thread Tips to get past the "gatekeeper" when job hunting

Frankly, unless you have a real person to write to or call in the department where you will be working, even knowing the name of the company where the position is located is probably not enough to get you to an interview stage in the job hunt. Sending ANY kind of resume, no matter how good or compelling is still a hit or miss proposition, since you don't know what the "knockout points" are for the gatekeepers who do the first read of your resume.

In point of fact, the points your friend makes are valid, but you still need to research the company and its needs more to learn what to focus on.

I'm still busier than a cat with two mouse holes to watch, but it's obvious to me you are somehow missing the point that it is most important to learn

1. what the company really needs
  2. why they need it (something new? something urgent?)
  3. if there was an incumbent in the same position and why he/she is no longer in that position (there is a decided difference between applying toward new, never-before-filled position and replacing someone. In the first, you have to fulfill their dreams; in the second, you first have to know whether they have a bad taste from the previous person's work or lack of work.)
and then addressing those points in your cover letter and ensuring it gets to the eyes of an actual decision maker, not a gatekeeper.

Don't give up hope, but remember, the bulk of the work here is getting the research done - think of it as one of the most important root cause investigations of your life! After that, it's just a matter of writing the report.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Change Management vs Opportunity for Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) vs. AOC (Area of Concern) - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
J Can a risk be an opportunity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational USFDA – Digital Health Update: The FDA Announces an Opportunity for Test Case Volunteers for the Test Plan for the Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
C Do we need to make a new OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) for each document/form we update? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
Q Risk/Opportunity in a combined ISO 9001 & 14001 System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Risk & opportunity assessment - ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Difference Process Objective/Opportunity for improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Audit opportunity for improvement raised to nonconformance months after the audit General Auditing Discussions 7
Q Criteria to pursue an opportunity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N New company with opportunity to bid for Aerospace work AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Opportunity For Improvement - Customer to sign off or approve a new design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Cost of business lost / opportunity lost? How to address? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
S MBA Finance major & HR minor job opportunity in TQM field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
M Internship opportunity in the US - Possibilities and how to go about it? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna ANAB Stakeholders Survey - Your opportunity to voice your opinion ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
L Preventative Action vs. Opportunity for Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 21
Wes Bucey "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." - Einstein Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A Unique Opportunity for QM - 'Chief Quality Officer' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Marc Job Openings and Employment Opportunities forum - Who may post an Opportunity Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
P Determining Defects per Opportunity/AQL - Vehicle & Equipment Repair and Maintenance AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
W Process approach - Auditor issued OFI (opportunity for improvement) on clause 8.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Wes Bucey Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give a little bit back Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
Gert Sorensen QA or Lean opportunity in Thailand? How to find... Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Wes Bucey Oops! Opportunity for mistake proofing? Worker flicks wrong switch World News 14
D Should low volume supplier PPM comparisons consider level of opportunity for error? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
B How to decide the ?U? to calcuate DPU and "opportunity" of DPMO Six Sigma 8
J What is the difference between opportunity and defect in Six Sigma? Six Sigma 1
Wes Bucey Preventive Action Opportunity? Egg Carton Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
N Operations Management Opportunity- Any advice? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M Opportunity for Improvements, Auditing & Review Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
B Major vs. Minor vs. Opportunity for Improvement - Product as well as Office Processes Internal Auditing 27
Claes Gefvenberg Ford Focus recalls. An opportunity to discuss preventive and corrective actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Pollution Prevention in an EMS - P2 Opportunity Assessments Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
Marc Distinguish between problem and opportunity as follows Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
S DPM (Defect parts per million opportunity) vs. PPM Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
F ISO 21001 Educational Organizations Management - How to become an auditor Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
P ISO 10993-1:2018 - When will the European equivalent become a Harmonized Standard? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
S When does a Distributor become a Specification Developer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M AS 9100 - Requirement to become Certification Body (CB) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
K Do Forms and Templates ALWAYS become Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
shimonv IEC 60601-1-8 - When does an error message become an alarm signal? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
A How to become Certified CVE for Part 21J in Shortest Time EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
S How to become an Aerospace Auditor guidance Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
P What qualifications are required to become an auditor for a CB (BSI, for example)? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
ScottK Is there a point in your career where ASQ certs become meaningless? Career and Occupation Discussions 13