Opus Magnum (Latin-"The Work of Life"): QMS/Processes Efficiency Analysis

Organisation should analyse, measyre, improve it is stated in standard...
The question is of methodology... What can you as a consultants sugest as a methodology for MEASURING PROCESS efficiency?
This seems more complex than implementing all the rest QMS requirements! It must include process financial, techniological (benchmarking, best practice etc) analysing. One must study economics/management/engineering for years to do this correctly!
And what is the best consultant could do about this when implemetning ISO 9001? The average implementation is about 6-12 months! how can a single person NOT knowing industry (mostly) and not being professional economist (he may have mba, but he is not working as an economist) can CORRECTLY IMPLEMENT such tool in 6 months! Impossible! The best that can consultant do is give orider to economics department (if any): guys, work on process analysis!
Do you agree with me? If no, what methodics do you use? I can share methodology that i currently use (i am not satisfied with it ofcourse)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Andrej

Involved In Discussions
MD wrote: "The question is of methodology... What can you as a consultants suggest as a methodology for MEASURING PROCESS efficiency?"

I found it useful to observe process as a part of a closed-loop control system. When analyzing processes, I try to find all the data presented in a figure below (see appendix). The result is well defined and documented process.

Person responsible for setting up methodology for measuring effectiveness and efficiency of a process is "Process owner". Consultant job is to give general order, explain requirements for measurement, shows some examples form similar processes, forms a team if necessary and review methodology.

Efficiency of process = (results achieved) / (resources used)

From ISO 9001:2000 7.1 b) "the need to establish process, documents, and provide resources specific to the product"; there must be of course also a prediction of resources to be needed by the process.

Efficiency can be measured (for a certain process) by using resources used vs resources planned.

Regards, Andrej

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Attached (FDCLP.doc) is from Andrej Trebar - originally titled Functional diagram of a closed loop process.doc

Good thought processs.

Attachments

Andrej

Involved In Discussions
You are absolutely right Jim,

An example:

Efficiency = Percentage indicator measuring an operator's performance on an operation = ((Earned hours) / (Actual hours)) × 100%

rgds Andrej

E

energy

I'm out of it

Jim Wade said:

Agreed... and a darn sight more useful and meaningful than ISO 9000's "Model of a Process-based QMS" diagram, wouldn't you agree?

One comment, Andrej: I don't think 'resources planned/resources used' is as useful a measure of process efficiency as 'resources used/output achieved' type of measures.

rgds Jim
Jim,

Well, we found a chart that you appear to be pleased with. I'm really interested in "Why?". Marc says, "Good thought process", I think.
How may a chart like this chart be used? Is it merely to be used to get the juices flowing for those unfamiliar with ISO/Business requirements, or is it something that may be used in, say, a QA Manual to describe overall process interaction? I guess I'm confused with the "Interaction of Processes" shown at the end. Am I to assume that this would meet the requirement of describing "interaction" in the QM as required for ISO?
In other words, is there a practical use for a chart such as this? If so, where? Training? Forgive my ignorance as to it's purpose. Stuff like this, where everyone is in agreement, usually leaves me wanting. It's pretty, though. :bonk: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
E

energy

Re: Re: I'm out of it

Jim Wade said:

Hi Bill

In the champagne-induced lull between a spectacular new year celebration and my preparation for a foreign trip, I'll assume your interest is genuine, as opposed to being feigned in order to mock.

Why do I like it? Because it seems to me to be an aid to communication. I think such a chart would help a team of people interested in a more formal and complete description of their processes (as opposed to procedures) to agree on a common view of what, specifically, they are dealing with.

I hope Andrej and Marc will also answer.

rgds Jim
Jim,

The last example of mockery was yours and Tonto's, I believe. Don't get nervous.

Andrej,

Great explanation and additional information. The file size was prohibitive for posting, I think, so I really appreciate the response via e-mail. I think you will be flooded with requests for this excellent attachment. With your permission, I will help you with requests, if needed. As for your English, it's excellent. I wouldn't know where to begin in your homeland. happy New Year to you and yours. :agree: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Re: Re: I'm out of it

energy said:

Jim,

The last example of mockery was yours and Tonto's, I believe. Don't get nervous.
**** Nailed that one on the head!

Andrej,

Great explanation and additional information. The file size was prohibitive for posting, I think, so I really appreciate the response via e-mail. I think you will be flooded with requests for this excellent attachment. With your permission, I will help you with requests, if needed. As for your English, it's excellent. I wouldn't know where to begin in your homeland. happy New Year to you and yours. :agree: :smokin: [/QUOTE]

What did I miss? Care to share the explanation and additional information with the rest of us who wanna learn? How can we flood for requests if we don't know what it is we're requesting?
:confused:

E

energy

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm out of it

Mike S. said:

What did I miss? Care to share the explanation and additional information with the rest of us who wanna learn? How can we flood for requests if we don't know what it is we're requesting?
:confused:
Mike S.

Andrej addressed all my concerns and then some from my original post asking for the use of such a diagram. Jim says the file is too large to post as an attachment. I'll take a crack at it later today. It's in Word so I may be able to just tuck into a post. maybe in pieces. Later, Tonto! :vfunny: :smokin:

E

energy

Good Job, Andrej!

Please bear in mind that this e-mail was in response to the use of the PDCA Loop chart that Andej posted previously. What is in the attachment goes beyond simply answering my silly questions. It's a tutorial regarding defining processes as well as another example of how to approach management and sell them on the idea of the importance of defining processes. I know that most of you will enjoy it. There are other charts contained in the attachment that prohibit posting the document as is in this thread. But, it's in Word and simple to understand. I need that. Simple. Momma says "Simple is as simple does".:vfunny: Thanks Andrej.:agree: :smokin:

Attachments

Top Bottom