Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration

A

aqualpro

I am looking for quality standards-acceptable alternatives to including the organization chart directly in our quality manual. Our organization chart changes frequently enough that I can issue the (signed off) quality manual today and it could (technically) be out of date as soon as next week if the org chart changes.:mad:

What alternatives are there to be able to keep the org chart up to date without having to reissue the whole quality manual when the org chart changes?:cool:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

George Weiss

Re: Quality Manual and Organization Chart

Tag the org chart as a seperate document with rev. # and date. Then the changes will not effect your company's QM. :agree1:
Put into your e-QM an e-LINK to the PDF of your current rev. org chart.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Quality Manual and Organization Chart

I am looking for quality standards-acceptable alternatives to including the organization chart directly in our quality manual. Our organization chart changes frequently enough that I can issue the (signed off) quality manual today and it could (technically) be out of date as soon as next week if the org chart changes.:mad:

What alternatives are there to be able to keep the org chart up to date without having to reissue the whole quality manual when the org chart changes?:cool:
You should put an hyperlink in your Quality Manual that points to your organization chart.
This last document could be then considered as a controlled one, subjecting it to approval, revision and communicated apart as per your document control procedure.
:bigwave:

J

JaneB

Yes, this can happen. I sometimes think that org charts go out of date as soon as (if not as/before) they're signed off for release!

Both prevous posters have given good advice: break it out of the manual and issue as a separate document. You can hyperlink if you use online documentation; either way, you can reference it from your quality manual, as eg 'The current organisation chart'. (Of course, make sure you control it).

PS: there's no actual requirement in the Standard for either an organisation chart OR (if you have one) for it to be in your quality manual. It does say you have to define responsibilities and authorities; it does say you have to control documents relevant to the quality system. HOW you do that is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

adickerson

You can make your QMS Org Chart focused on Titles or Departments and not on the personnel. That way you have a basic outline for how things are organized without specifics that change frequently.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, this can happen. I sometimes think that org charts go out of date as soon as (if not as/before) they're signed off for release!

Both prevous posters have given good advice: break it out of the manual and issue as a separate document. You can hyperlink if you use online documentation; either way, you can reference it from your quality manual, as eg 'The current organisation chart'. (Of course, make sure you control it).

PS: there's no actual requirement in the Standard for either an organisation chart OR (if you have one) for it to be in your quality manual. It does say you have to define responsibilities and authorities; it does say you have to control documents relevant to the quality system. HOW you do that is up to you.
There is your answer in the PS: from JaneB ...
Perhaps you have seen some typical examples of Org chart in quality manuals and believe that you need to include one. There is no requirement to link Org chart to Quality manual.
For your quick reference here is 4.2.2 concerning the quality manual from ISO 9001:2008
4.2.2 Quality manual
The organization shall establish and maintain a quality manual that includes
a) the scope of the quality management system, including details of and justification for any exclusions(see 1.2),
b) the documented procedures established for the quality management system, or reference to them, and
c) a description of the interaction between the processes of the quality management system.

Anything else is extra

B

baynoli

re:pS, in defining responsibilities and authorities it does not mean it should be in the quality manual or in the org chart right? and this can be also done in a separate form/document right? like Job Description.

Currently im working with our org chart, would like to know if its ok to reflect only the executives and managers level? Will I be questioned by auditors why i didnt include the lower level of managers? They might say below manager level are not part of the org since its not reflected in the chart? How would i response to this kind of question. :D:D really hate this kind of auditors...:argue:

A

adickerson

Currently im working with our org chart, would like to know if its ok to reflect only the executives and managers level? Will I be questioned by auditors why i didnt include the lower level of managers?
If you have employee classes then it is easy to just org chart only particular classes. For example if you have managers as salary and line workers as hourly then you have a clear division. If some workers are management while others are union then you have another.

Avoiding these types of questions by an auditor can be as simple as having a description of what you are doing:

Org Chart
Senior Managers Only

T

tselalee

Organization change is inevitble :argue:. A solution to cope with constant org chart changes would be to use an org chart software. :agree1: Check out humanconcepts org chart software to manage transition!

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Organization change is inevitable :argue:. A solution to cope with constant org chart changes would be to use an org chart software. :agree1: Check out humanconcepts org chart software to manage transition!
Are you in any way associated with the company that you recommended?

Stijloor, Forum Moderator.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Organization Chart Document Numbering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Where is Quality on your Organization Chart? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Organization Chart - Level of Details? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G Creating an Organization Chart - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Organization Chart and Job Descriptions - Responsibilities within a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Quality Team Job Description and Organization Chart wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Please critique my Organization Structure Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Level of Management Representative in Organization Chart Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P Level of Management Representative in an Organization Chart Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V Process Based Organization Chart that lists processes instead of departments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
J Has Process Managment Changed the Organization Chart of your Company? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
ScottK Organization chart for two manufacturing facilities under one corportate umbrella Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M Change of Organization Chart - The effect on existing procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
I Company Safety Officer required for a German subsidiary of a Medical Device Organization? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Q IATF 16949 organization context IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Purchasing for Design and Development Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P The suspension rule and de-registration rule for a certified organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J AS9100D Cl. 8.4.3d - The organization shall communicate to external providers... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Communication of CSR's throughout the organization and who they apply to IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Depth in the organization for Interested Parties and Risks & Opportunities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J What to add to our QMS for Clause 4 Context of the Organization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
V Leadership and Organization Styles in Different Countries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
R Scope of Certification for a Design Organization with Outsourced Mfg. - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.2 Interested Parties - Not-For-Profit Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Organization Treating One Business as an Internal Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A CSR - How do you share them within your organization? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Risk Assessment Technique that fits the Context of the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Does ISO 9001 Requirement for Document Approval (a service organization) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
dubrizo How do you handle damaged IM&TE in your organization? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Deficiency Taxonomy - Categorizing Deficiencies within my Organization Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
Q Informational Context of the Organization & Interested Parties Evidence - ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1/4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 82
Y Part 21-G organization - Compliance documents of received product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Definition GS1 - Healthcare Barcoding Organization Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
S ISO 14001 Clause 4.1 Organization and its context - What does an Auditor expect? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12