Organization Chart Document Numbering

D

Dallen378

This may sound like a silly question, and perhaps the answer is as obvious as I think it is. As I am developing a new Org Chart for our company, I am surprised to find that our previous one was not assigned a document number or controlled. So my question is, in creating this new one and creating our new quality manual along the 9001:2015 standard, I would like to control and reference the org chart within it (5.3 Organizational roles...). It's not an OP, it's not a WI.

My assumption is that an Org Chart is a Technical Aid or a Visual Aid

Or does it even matter. Is this left to my own discretion?

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Document type and document number do not matter. What matters are content and accessibility. A QMS document should be useful and should be easy to find when needed.

With a good system, numbers and doc types could be omitted or be invisible and no one will miss them. And documents can still be controlled as required by the standard.

Q

QAMTY

What I do,it is to name to these kind of documents,reference documents.
E.g. for procedures PRO-PUR-001 (procedure for purchasing ), RED-HR-001 (organizational chart, belonging to human resources).

Randy

Super Moderator
And it's more of a document as it's subject to periodic revision and an old one becomes a record of what used to be.

Numbering and all that stuff eventually becomes a self inflicted wound "Org Chart" Rev "#" or Rev "date" for instance is sufficient as long as your document control procedure allows it.

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
Try defining a record series of "Organizational structure", purpose: high-level authority/responsibility (as applicable).
Then have single record validity defined as valid until superseded, making the latest record in the series always the current one. It also shows the developments over time by the fact that the records are retained.
Core rationale: the organizational chart reflects decisions made in the past about who/what function has authority/responsibility. Making it a document can mean, especially when names are included or identical functions are not noted as single-box, that revisions go up quickly.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
FWIW, we use document number and revision as a big part of Change Management.

How do people know the document is the most current without these?
They don't without the revision indicator. But Pancho didn't say that didn't matter. There needs to be a unique identifier, which may or may not be a document number, and a revision indicator.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
FWIW, we use document number and revision as a big part of Change Management.

How do people know the document is the most current without these?
Custom software and wikis make those numbers near invisible to users. You'd hardly ever need to locate a document by its number, as its much easier to jump to it through menus or search. And the software manages changes automatically. You are always served the current version except when you specifically need to review change history.

These tools are not expensive. Document control without them is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Where is Quality on your Organization Chart? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Organization Chart - Level of Details? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G Creating an Organization Chart - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Organization Chart and Job Descriptions - Responsibilities within a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Quality Team Job Description and Organization Chart wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Please critique my Organization Structure Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Level of Management Representative in Organization Chart Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P Level of Management Representative in an Organization Chart Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
A Organization Chart Control and Quality Manual Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Process Based Organization Chart that lists processes instead of departments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
J Has Process Managment Changed the Organization Chart of your Company? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
ScottK Organization chart for two manufacturing facilities under one corportate umbrella Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M Change of Organization Chart - The effect on existing procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
I Company Safety Officer required for a German subsidiary of a Medical Device Organization? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Q IATF 16949 organization context IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Purchasing for Design and Development Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P The suspension rule and de-registration rule for a certified organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J AS9100D Cl. 8.4.3d - The organization shall communicate to external providers... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Communication of CSR's throughout the organization and who they apply to IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Depth in the organization for Interested Parties and Risks & Opportunities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J What to add to our QMS for Clause 4 Context of the Organization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
V Leadership and Organization Styles in Different Countries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
R Scope of Certification for a Design Organization with Outsourced Mfg. - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.2 Interested Parties - Not-For-Profit Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Organization Treating One Business as an Internal Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A CSR - How do you share them within your organization? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Risk Assessment Technique that fits the Context of the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Does ISO 9001 Requirement for Document Approval (a service organization) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
dubrizo How do you handle damaged IM&TE in your organization? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Deficiency Taxonomy - Categorizing Deficiencies within my Organization Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
Q Informational Context of the Organization & Interested Parties Evidence - ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1/4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 82
Y Part 21-G organization - Compliance documents of received product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Definition GS1 - Healthcare Barcoding Organization Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
S ISO 14001 Clause 4.1 Organization and its context - What does an Auditor expect? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12