Organization Treating One Business as an Internal Supplier

nacnack

Starting to get Involved
Good Day all,

I will try and explain this as comprehensively as I can. Hopefully it won't become to convoluted.

I need insight on the requirements for AS9100D and from the industry on how to treat an organization that is primarily a machine shop but has a weld shop under a different company name but owned by the parent machine shop company. I believe this welding company can be treated like a supplier and should be on the AVL and not required to be on the scope of the QMS etc, However; at least 4 personnel including the Quality Manager work for both entities.
The Quality Manager creates the certs for the weld shop but is also the prime for the separate machine shop organization. The other 3 are welders perform various other functions for the machine shop also. Its a small organization.

1. The Machine Shop is look at going to AS9100D
2. They do not want the weld shop under the same umbrella since its separate company.
3. How should these individuals be treated on the organizational chart and job descriptions?

Hypothetically speaking, if an issue comes up in the weld shop during an audit but the quality manager from the machine shop approved the certificate my guess is that since his role is identified as the weld shop Quality Manager at that time it would be a hit against the welding company and should be documented in their performance data.

Anyway, your insight would be helpful and I hope I was clear enough.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
3. How should these individuals be treated on the organizational chart and job descriptions?
Because the certificate scope is only the machine shop, they should be listed on the machine shop org chart and their job description should include the responsibilities for the machine shop.
Hypothetically speaking, if an issue comes up in the weld shop during an audit but the quality manager from the machine shop approved the certificate my guess is that since his role is identified as the weld shop Quality Manager at that time it would be a hit against the welding company and should be documented in their performance data.
In an AS9100 audit there would be no auditing in the weld shop, so how would an issue come up? The weld shop would not be included in the audit scope at all.

nacnack

Starting to get Involved
Yes I agree,

The weld shop should not be part of the audit but I would expect to performance records for the weld shop to be identified in the machine shops purchasing process and those that have both feet in both organizations identified in the job descriptions and org chart as you mentioned. My scenario was muddled a bit, if records reviewed during the supplier portion of the audit and the weld shop dropped the ball on their certs, I would expect to see evidence of actions taken by the machine shop or issue a possible noncompliance against the machine shop for not taking action if that is the case since the same person does both jobs.

yes, I was thinking the same thing, just need confirmation I was on the right path.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Nevertheless, the weld shop, being an supplier external provider, needs to be monitored using a risk based approach and, if the weldments they perform are critical, realizing that critical welding is a special process, you (the machine shop) is responsible to ensure that the weld shop properly validates the welding processes and, as applicable, the welders as well.

They should be treated just like another (critical?) external provider.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Sidney Vianna Informational IAF and ILAC Seek Contractor for Establishment of a Single International Organization for Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
I Company Safety Officer required for a German subsidiary of a Medical Device Organization? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Q IATF 16949 organization context IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Purchasing for Design and Development Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P The suspension rule and de-registration rule for a certified organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J AS9100D Cl. 8.4.3d - The organization shall communicate to external providers... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Communication of CSR's throughout the organization and who they apply to IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Depth in the organization for Interested Parties and Risks & Opportunities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J What to add to our QMS for Clause 4 Context of the Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
V Leadership and Organization Styles in Different Countries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
R Scope of Certification for a Design Organization with Outsourced Mfg. - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Organization Chart Document Numbering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.2 Interested Parties - Not-For-Profit Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A CSR - How do you share them within your organization? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Risk Assessment Technique that fits the Context of the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Does ISO 9001 Requirement for Document Approval (a service organization) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
dubrizo How do you handle damaged IM&TE in your organization? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Deficiency Taxonomy - Categorizing Deficiencies within my Organization Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
Q Informational Context of the Organization & Interested Parties Evidence - ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1/4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 82
Y Part 21-G organization - Compliance documents of received product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Definition GS1 - Healthcare Barcoding Organization Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
S ISO 14001 Clause 4.1 Organization and its context - What does an Auditor expect? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
L Performance Excellent Plan in a Service Organization Service Industry Specific Topics 1
A Identifying context for every process in an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
Marc Creating an Internal Audit Program That Works for Your Organization Internal Auditing 0
M Informational "Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 132
M Need help on QMS Development in an AS9100C certified organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Exclusions clause 7.3 - Our organization doesn?t design products - ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W What are the benefits of ISO 27001 for my IT Organization IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
P Need ideas on managing Shelf Life Studies within an organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13