Organization Treating One Business as an Internal Supplier

nacnack

Starting to get Involved
Good Day all,

I will try and explain this as comprehensively as I can. Hopefully it won't become to convoluted.

I need insight on the requirements for AS9100D and from the industry on how to treat an organization that is primarily a machine shop but has a weld shop under a different company name but owned by the parent machine shop company. I believe this welding company can be treated like a supplier and should be on the AVL and not required to be on the scope of the QMS etc, However; at least 4 personnel including the Quality Manager work for both entities.
The Quality Manager creates the certs for the weld shop but is also the prime for the separate machine shop organization. The other 3 are welders perform various other functions for the machine shop also. Its a small organization.

1. The Machine Shop is look at going to AS9100D
2. They do not want the weld shop under the same umbrella since its separate company.
3. How should these individuals be treated on the organizational chart and job descriptions?

Hypothetically speaking, if an issue comes up in the weld shop during an audit but the quality manager from the machine shop approved the certificate my guess is that since his role is identified as the weld shop Quality Manager at that time it would be a hit against the welding company and should be documented in their performance data.

Anyway, your insight would be helpful and I hope I was clear enough.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
3. How should these individuals be treated on the organizational chart and job descriptions?
Because the certificate scope is only the machine shop, they should be listed on the machine shop org chart and their job description should include the responsibilities for the machine shop.
Hypothetically speaking, if an issue comes up in the weld shop during an audit but the quality manager from the machine shop approved the certificate my guess is that since his role is identified as the weld shop Quality Manager at that time it would be a hit against the welding company and should be documented in their performance data.
In an AS9100 audit there would be no auditing in the weld shop, so how would an issue come up? The weld shop would not be included in the audit scope at all.

nacnack

Starting to get Involved
Yes I agree,

The weld shop should not be part of the audit but I would expect to performance records for the weld shop to be identified in the machine shops purchasing process and those that have both feet in both organizations identified in the job descriptions and org chart as you mentioned. My scenario was muddled a bit, if records reviewed during the supplier portion of the audit and the weld shop dropped the ball on their certs, I would expect to see evidence of actions taken by the machine shop or issue a possible noncompliance against the machine shop for not taking action if that is the case since the same person does both jobs.

yes, I was thinking the same thing, just need confirmation I was on the right path.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Nevertheless, the weld shop, being an supplier external provider, needs to be monitored using a risk based approach and, if the weldments they perform are critical, realizing that critical welding is a special process, you (the machine shop) is responsible to ensure that the weld shop properly validates the welding processes and, as applicable, the welders as well.

They should be treated just like another (critical?) external provider.

Top Bottom