Organizational Charts - OK to combine Quality and Production?

F

fishstix

Hello,

I've ready a few other posts on similar topics, but I'm hoping to get a little more feedback on combining two functions. We are a small company (15 people), and we're ISO certified. We are about to inherit a business area from our parent company, and so we're contemplating a re-org. Currently, the Quality function also is responsible for Reg Affairs and some Product Development. The Production function is responsible for all manufacturing of our products as well as the majority of Product Development. We won't be hiring any new people with this re-org, so we've got to "make do" with what we have. We could keep it the way it is, or I'm thinking that we could have Production and Quality report into the same person, who would report directly to the General Manager (who's the highest management on site). Keeping R&D and Production together is somewhat more efficient, but it's a signficant burden to the manager. Putting Quality and Production together would relieve that burden, and may also provide some other synergies. Quality would still be responsible for the system, not just production quality. Either way, two (or more) functions will need to be combined. I'd love to hear how other small companies handle this, how others have seen it done at their suppliers, clients, etc. Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Org charts - OK to combine Quality/Production?

If you use org charts (and there is no "requirement" to have them) you can, and should create them so as to make the most sense to your company and its customers. Just make sure that regardless of other activities, you show that your MR reports to top management in his/her capacity as MR.

F

fishstix

We do utilize org charts, and it has been helpful to try to explain how our small company works (which can be harder to explain sometimes than big organizations). I can see where it is key to show how MR reports in. Thanks for your help!

V

Vic de Beer

:2cents:As a rule, on an org chart, the MR /QA/Quality department is normally shown to be NOT directly repsonsible to production. I cannot see that there would be a problem with anyone, suitably qualified, to perform the function of MR provided that the person performing the MR function is aware that he/she has to change hats and be objective in his/her position as MR and not influenced by his/her other function of production.

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions

Another :2cents:
Consider who's doing internal auditing. My registrar is keen to see independence to ensure the auditor isn't auditing their own work. Another aspect to watch when combining roles.

F

fishstix

Another :2cents:
Consider who's doing internal auditing. My registrar is keen to see independence to ensure the auditor isn't auditing their own work. Another aspect to watch when combining roles.
This is a challenge for us already in our current configuration. I perform internal audits, and I have one other trained individual who helps me, but since we're all involved in different parts, it can be difficult to not audit an area for which you are responsible. For example, I am the Quality Manager, but I'm also responsible for product development for one line of products. Additionally, I just revised our whole development process. I don't feel comfortable auditing development, as I am intimately involved. So, my other auditor audits this part. No matter how were structured, I will be the internal auditor, as I am the Quality department.

My guess is that if we change our organizational reporting structure, and I am responsible for both Quality and Production, I will remain the MR. Does anyone see an issue with this?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Just in case you don't have dedicated auditors, you can show independence from an area (although, that is not a requirement in ISO 9001) through your audit schedules/assignments.

One of the challenges of a small company is that it seems everyone wears all of the hats at one time or another. I have seen org charts that have the owner on one line and everyone else underneath in a single line. Such org charts are useless. The important thing is that responsibilities are defined and communicated (they do not have to be documented). You can do this in any manner that works for your company.

Regardless of how you do it, you have to ensure that your method eliminates unwanted variation from your processes.

jkuil

Quite Involved in Discussions

You can combine the Quality Control function with production. Production employees can perform tests to provide evidence that the product meets specs and make decisions to reject non-conforming products.

You should not combine QA with production. In many regulated (GMP) industries it is required to have an independent QA function to release final products. For that purpose they verify the test data provided.

Still, however, a single employee can perform both production an QA tasks when:
  • They do not qualify/release any product that they have (partly) manufactured/controlled themselves
  • The report to an independent manager for the production and the QA activities
This is not an ideal situation. Consider the case, where a person performing the QA task reports to the production manager, who definitely needs to release products in order to meet the yield/sales requirements. An independent QA manager (manager representative) is minimally required to solve that dilema.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

From a Pharmaceutical / Med Devices background, Quality unit has to be seperate and can not be merged with Production.

Which industry are you in ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Internal Audits ? Are Departmental Organizational Charts Required? Internal Auditing 2
A Are Job Descriptions and Organizational Charts Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
E Functional Organizational Charts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W Organizational Responsibility for Environmental Compliance of Products REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
C Significant Organizational Changes - Documented Responsibilities Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge - What evidence to have? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R What kind of Objective Evidence - AS9100 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
M Organizational Chart - Organizational Structure example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L How to represent the ?real? or ?actual? players in organizational chart? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Richard Regalado BS 65000 - Guidance on Organizational Resilience is open for comments Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
A The typical organizational set-up for Housing Services - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J QA Organizational Reporting Structure for a sample Food Operation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
sagai Organizational Independence of the Quality Division 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
A Small Company Organizational Chart with many Shared Roles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
P Organizational Changes and the Registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Organizational Complexity Theory - What makes organizations complex Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
Q ISO Team Organizational chart & functions for a small company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
kmyers Is this Organizational Chart Adequate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
G ISO 9001:2000 Organizational Roles & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Listing of Positions on an Organizational Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Internal Auditing within your Organizational Structure Internal Auditing 18
T Organizational Chart Requirement in TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
A Who is the owner of the organizational chart? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
J Organizational Chart Compliance - Is this organizational chart well designed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Organizational Chart - Manufacturing Manager report to Director of Quality ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO 17020 Organizational Awareness Training Materials Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
R Preventative Action - Organizational ideas - Process or Work Instruction Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Does Lean Change the Organizational Chart? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Tim Folkerts CQM certification becomes CQM/OE (Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A ASQ certification Renamed - Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S Definition Organizational Defect Prevention Plan? Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
T 7.2.2.2 - Organizational Manufacturing Feasibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Registration (Certification) and Organizational Name Change Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
Q The Pareto Principle - Organizational Change Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
A Personal Organizational Tools - What tools do you use for personal organization? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
B Understanding Business Organizations - Organizational styles Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 8
A Quality Organizational Chart Benchmarking - See attachment Benchmarking 11
Marc Organizational Interfaces QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
I Recommendation about h and k values when CUSUM charts are used Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Standard Deviation Selection on Control Charts - Minitab "pooled deviation" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3