Organizational Complexity Theory - What makes organizations complex

S

Scott Thor

I'm a doctoral student studying organizational theory and would like to get some feedback on what makes organizations complex (people, competitors, etc.). I'd prefer if the respondents were those working at a senior level (director, VP, etc.). From your perspective (current or past employers), what makes organizations so complex? Feel free to address the question from a quality perspective.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Organizational Complexity

I'm a doctoral student studying organizational theory and would like to get some feedback on what makes organizations complex (people, competitors, etc.). I'd prefer if the respondents were those working at a senior level (director, VP, etc.). From your perspective (current or past employers), what makes organizations so complex? Feel free to address the question from a quality perspective.
I think that the folks working on the front lines are the most qualified to explain to you what contributes to the complexity in organizations. They experience (and often suffer through) this on a daily basis.

To give your study results an interesting perspective; you should at least focus on both groups. Just my :2cents:

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Organizational Complexity

Is your statement which I show in bold because you feel that those of lower status have nothing to contribute?

I'm not a VP, or Director, or any type of senior person within my organization, nor will I ever be, but I'll give you this to ponder....In my lifetime of work, in many and varied fields of endeavor I have determined that more often than not complexity of organizations or within organizations comes about through...

Pride
Ignorance
Empire building

Senior leadership has a historical tendency to complicate the simple and make hard the easy.

If leadership could and would truly lead...not manage, boss, tyrannize, lord over, subjigate, or try to pontificate, but lead as eaders many organizations we see with umpteen levels of heirarcy and the demands those heirachies create, would flatten out, run smoother and more effeciently and have greater effectiveness.

Is the above what you wanted?

P

Polly Pure Bread

whether the organization is small or large, regardless of type of products/services, and whether you have a lack of resources (money, human resource, infrastructure, etc.), little resources , or lots of resources, the answer to the question
what makes organizations so complex?
is how you manage all factors influencing your organization.

A

amariepsu

whether the organization is small or large, regardless of type of products/services, and whether you have a lack of resources (money, human resource, infrastructure, etc.), little resources , or lots of resources, the answer to the question

is how you manage all factors influencing your organization.
I agree with this statement, however, I would include that their must be an adequate proportion of managers and resources to the amount of products/services, and various levels of these products/services, offered by the organization. So often where I have been employed, I see that the managers are capable of managing, but sometimes are given way too much responsibility for one person to handle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W Organizational Responsibility for Environmental Compliance of Products REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
C Significant Organizational Changes - Documented Responsibilities Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge - What evidence to have? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R What kind of Objective Evidence - AS9100 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
M Organizational Chart - Organizational Structure example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L How to represent the ?real? or ?actual? players in organizational chart? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Richard Regalado BS 65000 - Guidance on Organizational Resilience is open for comments Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
D Internal Audits ? Are Departmental Organizational Charts Required? Internal Auditing 2
A The typical organizational set-up for Housing Services - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J QA Organizational Reporting Structure for a sample Food Operation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
sagai Organizational Independence of the Quality Division 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
A Are Job Descriptions and Organizational Charts Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A Small Company Organizational Chart with many Shared Roles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
P Organizational Changes and the Registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Organizational Charts - OK to combine Quality and Production? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
Q ISO Team Organizational chart & functions for a small company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
kmyers Is this Organizational Chart Adequate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
G ISO 9001:2000 Organizational Roles & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Listing of Positions on an Organizational Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Internal Auditing within your Organizational Structure Internal Auditing 18
T Organizational Chart Requirement in TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
A Who is the owner of the organizational chart? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
J Organizational Chart Compliance - Is this organizational chart well designed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Organizational Chart - Manufacturing Manager report to Director of Quality ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO 17020 Organizational Awareness Training Materials Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
R Preventative Action - Organizational ideas - Process or Work Instruction Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Does Lean Change the Organizational Chart? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Tim Folkerts CQM certification becomes CQM/OE (Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A ASQ certification Renamed - Manager of Quality / Organizational Excellence Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S Definition Organizational Defect Prevention Plan? Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
T 7.2.2.2 - Organizational Manufacturing Feasibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Registration (Certification) and Organizational Name Change Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
Q The Pareto Principle - Organizational Change Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
A Personal Organizational Tools - What tools do you use for personal organization? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
B Understanding Business Organizations - Organizational styles Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 8
A Quality Organizational Chart Benchmarking - See attachment Benchmarking 11
E Functional Organizational Charts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Marc Organizational Interfaces QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
P Internal Audit Schedule Complexity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 3
somashekar The Beauty and Complexity of English Language Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
K How to evaluate or measure the complexity of product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Minitab complexity issues, how to use it Using Minitab Software 5
Govind How to resolve Revision within Revision Complexity? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Marc Managing Software Complexity - Vision 2000 Software Quality Assurance 0
Mikael Lean Time Line (History and Theory) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5