SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I was recently surprised in a new Company I just started. They asked me all of the sudden (due to the absence of one employee responsible for QMS) to be responsible for the next internal audit which needs to happen during mid of next month.
I am new to this responsibility and this company has a total of 47 internal auditors.
From where should I start dividing the internal auditors and organizing the audit?
The standards are: ISO 45001, ISO 14001, ISO 9001.
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi, I was recently surprised in a new Company I just started. They asked me all of the sudden (due to the absence of one employee responsible for QMS) to be responsible for the next internal audit which needs to happen during mid of next month.
I am new to this responsibility and this company has a total of 47 internal auditors.
From where should I start dividing the internal auditors and organizing the audit?
The standards are: ISO 45001, ISO 14001, ISO 9001.
Thanks!
What does your internal audit program/procedure require?

Have you taken the time to look at what has been done in the past?

Do you have any background or training at all with the standards and/or internal auditing? (If no to this question there's your 1st nonconformance)

What are the capabilities/competencies of your internal auditors?

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
What does your internal audit program/procedure require?

Have you taken the time to look at what has been done in the past?

Do you have any background or training at all with the standards and/or internal auditing? (If no to this question there's your 1st nonconformance)

What are the capabilities/competencies of your internal auditors?
I have training with this standards.
They had 0 non conformities during last integrated audit.
I still have to check the standard about internal audit.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Graciel,

Why do you "need" to do an audit in the middle of next month?

Are you responsible just for the next audit or are you the lead auditor now? If you are I recommend grabbing your boots and meeting your team if you can.

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Graciel,

Why do you "need" to do an audit in the middle of next month?

Are you responsible just for the next audit or are you the lead auditor now? If you are I recommend grabbing your boots and meeting your team if you can.
It was already scheduled for next month by the manager.
I don't understand the question about being lead auditor. The thing is, that the internal audit needs to happen according to the schedule, in one month and we have 47 people trained to do it. But I'm not lead auditor.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
They had 0 non conformities during last integrated audit
Wow....that sounds like a wasted effort; unfortunately not very surprising as most internal audit programs are exercises in waste.

ISO 19011 provides very good guidance on the management of audit programs and, if possible, should be reviewed. As a potential starting point, you could duplicate last year's internal audit program and make changes based on status and risks of activities for the last 12 months.

Boa sorte.

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Wow....that sounds like a wasted effort; unfortunately not very surprising as most internal audit programs are exercises in waste.

ISO 19011 provides very good guidance on the management of audit programs and, if possible, should be reviewed. As a potential starting point, you could duplicate last year's internal audit program and make changes based on status and risks of activities for the last 12 months.

Boa sorte.
When you say considering risks, should I use for example a customer complaint indicator for example? Or specifically use a risk management tool?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
When you say considering risks, should I use for example a customer complaint indicator for example? Or specifically use a risk management tool?
Customer complaints are an indicator of bad performance in the quality management aspect of the system. Since you have an integrated QHSE system, you should be looking at indicators of poor performance for all aspects of the system and context issues, such as COVID-19 (as an example). If you want to have a high performing internal audit program, you have to focus on issues of relevance to the organization and it's stakeholders.

But a zero-nonconformity audit result from an integrated management system audit, for an organization that has 47 trained (not necessarily competent) internal auditors is a huge red flag.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GStough Looking for Options in Organizing Internal Audit Paperwork - Any ideas? Internal Auditing 20
B AS9100 Rev D Quality Manual - How are you organizing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S Organizing Risk Analysis and Controls for a New Medical Device (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Clarification in organizing required documents for ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
Proud Liberal Minitab - Organizing a large number of graphs using file details Using Minitab Software 5
S Organizing Uncertainty Budgets for different Measurement Equipment Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
M How to handle the task of Organizing a Regulatory File Room Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Global Quality Department Organizing and Planning Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
E Quality Assurance on Event Organizing (Medical Conferences, Yearly Festivals, etc.) Service Industry Specific Topics 0
V Suggestions on Organizing Documents using SharePoint 2010 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
B Newbie, easy to follow guide for organizing/assembling very first PPAP booklet APQP and PPAP 3
B Organizing data to run simple regresson Using Minitab Software 4
T Organizing Medical Device Requirements - How you carried out yours? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C First Round of QMS Internal Audits - Ethical Dilemma Internal Auditing 7
T How to conduct combined internal audits (9001 and 13485) Internal Auditing 1
Q Easy CARs for Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Internal audit plan and processes for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
C API Q1 internal audit report Internal Auditing 3
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 1
A ISO 9001 Internal Audits - No production right now due to furloughs Internal Auditing 5
J Internal audit random sampling methodology Internal Auditing 2
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 4
Thee Bouyyy Internal NCR - API Q1 5.4.2b - API 16C Clause 4.1.3 Internal Auditing 9
Q ISO 9001-2015 Internal audit finding Internal Auditing 12
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
M ISO13485:2016, MDSAP and Internal Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Would this be a second site for the purposes of internal and third party audits? General Auditing Discussions 4
V Internal Auditor Competency KPI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J ISMS - Internal Audits Internal Auditing 5
M ISO 13485:2016 internal audit checklist Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
S ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing Internal Auditing 8
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Documented Information in Internal Audits Process (9.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
salaheddine96 Internal audit planning Internal Auditing 2
D CB and customer audits considered as internal audits? General Auditing Discussions 9
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
E MDR internal audit Internal Auditing 1
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
F Internal transfer of work from one line to another? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11