Origin of Material Review Board

migZLLander

Registered
Hello, I'm new here and looking for discussion about (MRB) Material Review Board. I actually part of MRB w/ is QA rep.
As i previously work in a japanese company, MRB is kind new concept to me, Can anyone help me understand a little deeper on this process (except for general terminology and concept) like where this process start and originated, and why japanese company have not implementing this process. or it will only be applicable on Aerospace industry regardless of the nation.

AEOS_QA

Involved In Discussions
Can you advise what type of items you manufacture ?
Found this presentation that also has links to the FAR regulatory requirements relating to Material Review Board

As you are posting it in a Aviation forum I'm wondering there is also a formal concept of "Maintenance Review Boards"
MRB presentation

Hope that helps

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I’ve always seen MRBs as part of the design change control process, often initiated by product nonconformities and preceding the corrective action process.

For example, an MRB may review a proposed repair of a nonconforming product when no approved repair procedure exists. Likewise with the proposed acceptance of nonconforming materials or products.

MRBs gain a lot of knowledge and may usefully also influence design inputs so products (and their realization processes) are designed to be free of nonconformity.

migZLLander

Registered
We manufacture aerospace cabin interiors.

I'll definitely check those presentation. Thanks. btw we do have a training and certification at our site.

I am actually taking a higher degree and my research study focus on my current post (QA MRB), I'd like to gather more topics and literature to supplement my research that's mainly the reason I have joined this site. Actually, it really helps as I got ton of topics to read here.

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
Oldest solid reference I know of is Mil Std 1520. You can probably learn something from where its MRB is located in the overall process/system, especially in contrast to the other 'boards' mentioned within it.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Off the cuff, I beleive it was used extensively during the Apollo and Shuttle programs as well as various DOD programs circa late 70s - early 80s...I beleive it was/is used for disposition of all "non-conforming" materials, parts, assemblies etc.

migZLLander

Registered
Thank you!, I remember that document along w/ MIL-Q-9858A, i just didn't have a copy to review those files. If it is available for public, can you pls. give me a copy also of CFR and EASA even just the Quality System section were I can find the MRB. tia

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Good catch, yep and I do believe that 9858 is the origin of the MRB....aka the MRB Cribs...at receiving for the parts and materials of dubious origin...and then a separate MRB Crib, for in process part, assembly dispositions....access to each crib was tightly controlled to say the least...

Big Jim

Admin
Off the cuff, I beleive it was used extensively during the Apollo and Shuttle programs as well as various DOD programs circa late 70s - early 80s...I beleive it was/is used for disposition of all "non-conforming" materials, parts, assemblies etc.

MRB relating to positioning of discrepant material is the most common use of MRB that I have run across.

Top Bottom