SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
Dear community,

I am using an oscilloscope for quite a lot of measurements including AC voltages. The scope specifications cover detailed values for DC gain accuracy. The only thing related to AC measurements is the bandwith (max. -3dB at cut-off frequency). Using this for measurement uncertainty of AC voltage measurements, I can only use the 3dB (appr. 30%, but I am sure the scope is better). The standard calibration by the manufacturer's ISO 17025 accredited lab covers nothing more.

My idea was now to perform additional calibration for the frequency response in the range I am using the scope (bandwith is actually 60 MHz, I use only up to 1 MHz). One way would be to apply discrete frequency values with defined input signal shape (e.g. sine) and RMS or peak values. The other way would be to use the impulse response?

Does anybody have experience with AC gain calibration of oscilliscopes?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

A scope is a very versatile tool, but you have seen that it does have its limits.
A couple of questions will provide information that is needed.
Are you using a probe or a direct input via a cable?
What is the input impedance of the scope when you are making these measurements?

dwperron

A high impedance measurement at higher frequencies using a cable can lead to impedance mismatch issues, and your results can vary widely.

You might be better off using a properly compensated X10 scope probe for these measurements, since it effectively moves the input termination of your measurement to the probe tip, reducing cable mismatch errors. Then you could pre-calibrate the probe to the frequencies of interest to your measurements.

I have attached a really good primer on scope probes that might be helpful to you.

Attachments

Benjamin Weber

Using a probe is not really option due to the rest of the test setup (I need robust connections for field testing).

Thank you very much for the primer on probes! In the section on scope bandwith affecting the measurement results (p. 35) it says, that if I use the scope at maximum frequencies below the actual bandwith I can improve AC accuracy to be better than 3dB or 30%. My scope has a specified bandwith of 60 MHz. According to the rule of thumb of the primer, the scope can achieve appr. 3% for a maximum frequency of 1/5 of it's bandwith, i.e. 15 MHz. My maximum signal frequency is 1 MHz and I usually work with a bandwith limition at 5 MHz. This is only a third of the 15 MHz.

Do you think it is justifiable to use the 3% accuracy for my uncertainty budget? Or do you see othe major negative influences here?

dwperron

My experience would agree that your numbers sound realistic.

Is it justifiable for your uncertainty budget? No.
You will need to do your own Type A study to come up with accuracy over the frequency range, documenting your method and results. You can then use that number as a contributor in your overall budget. This will be acceptable.

Benjamin Weber

I will use this estimated AC gain accuracy as one component among others contributing to the final expanded measurement uncertainty. To undermine the improved AC gain accuracy I will do some detailled investigation at discrete frequencies in my frequency range.

Thank you very much for your help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N CMC for Oscilloscope Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S MU (Measurement Uncertainty) for Oscilloscope Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
E Oscilloscope Measurement Uncertainties - MU Components for Vertical Deflection Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I Wavetek 9100 - Measurement Failure in Oscilloscope Section. Need Help & Advice. Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
B Oscilloscope Calibration, Terms and Definitions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Eqpt needed to Calibrate Oscilloscope, Multimeter, voltage tester, Torque analizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Oscilloscope Gage R&R - Laboratory Devices Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
F Supplier Audits - Creative ways to gain confidence in the next Supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A I am working in QA. How can I gain knowledge and skills on EHS system? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Profilometer Patch - Gain does not match, Linearity and Stylus = Good General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Information of Using Annex 3 & 4 to gain CE Mark EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Equipment Specifictions - What is Temperature Coefficient - Gain: 0.01% of F.S./?C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Car Slump Jolts Toyota, Halting 70 Years of Gain World News 3
D Where/How to Gain Training/Education to Be a Quality Professional Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
P How to gain ISO 9001 accreditation for a one man consultancy business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc Ford's U.S. Auto Sales Fall - Toyota, Nissan Gain World News 1
J Control of External Documents - How does one *gain* control of external documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4