Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
Dear community,

I am using an oscilloscope for quite a lot of measurements including AC voltages. The scope specifications cover detailed values for DC gain accuracy. The only thing related to AC measurements is the bandwith (max. -3dB at cut-off frequency). Using this for measurement uncertainty of AC voltage measurements, I can only use the 3dB (appr. 30%, but I am sure the scope is better). The standard calibration by the manufacturer's ISO 17025 accredited lab covers nothing more.

My idea was now to perform additional calibration for the frequency response in the range I am using the scope (bandwith is actually 60 MHz, I use only up to 1 MHz). One way would be to apply discrete frequency values with defined input signal shape (e.g. sine) and RMS or peak values. The other way would be to use the impulse response?

Does anybody have experience with AC gain calibration of oscilliscopes?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

A scope is a very versatile tool, but you have seen that it does have its limits.
A couple of questions will provide information that is needed.
Are you using a probe or a direct input via a cable?
What is the input impedance of the scope when you are making these measurements?

dwperron

A high impedance measurement at higher frequencies using a cable can lead to impedance mismatch issues, and your results can vary widely.

You might be better off using a properly compensated X10 scope probe for these measurements, since it effectively moves the input termination of your measurement to the probe tip, reducing cable mismatch errors. Then you could pre-calibrate the probe to the frequencies of interest to your measurements.

I have attached a really good primer on scope probes that might be helpful to you.

Attachments

Benjamin Weber

Using a probe is not really option due to the rest of the test setup (I need robust connections for field testing).

Thank you very much for the primer on probes! In the section on scope bandwith affecting the measurement results (p. 35) it says, that if I use the scope at maximum frequencies below the actual bandwith I can improve AC accuracy to be better than 3dB or 30%. My scope has a specified bandwith of 60 MHz. According to the rule of thumb of the primer, the scope can achieve appr. 3% for a maximum frequency of 1/5 of it's bandwith, i.e. 15 MHz. My maximum signal frequency is 1 MHz and I usually work with a bandwith limition at 5 MHz. This is only a third of the 15 MHz.

Do you think it is justifiable to use the 3% accuracy for my uncertainty budget? Or do you see othe major negative influences here?

dwperron

My experience would agree that your numbers sound realistic.

Is it justifiable for your uncertainty budget? No.
You will need to do your own Type A study to come up with accuracy over the frequency range, documenting your method and results. You can then use that number as a contributor in your overall budget. This will be acceptable.

Benjamin Weber

I will use this estimated AC gain accuracy as one component among others contributing to the final expanded measurement uncertainty. To undermine the improved AC gain accuracy I will do some detailled investigation at discrete frequencies in my frequency range.

Thank you very much for your help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ajit Basrur Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S MU (Measurement Uncertainty) for Oscilloscope Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
E Oscilloscope Measurement Uncertainties - MU Components for Vertical Deflection Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I Wavetek 9100 - Measurement Failure in Oscilloscope Section. Need Help & Advice. Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
B Oscilloscope Calibration, Terms and Definitions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Eqpt needed to Calibrate Oscilloscope, Multimeter, voltage tester, Torque analizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Oscilloscope Gage R&R - Laboratory Devices Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
F Supplier Audits - Creative ways to gain confidence in the next Supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A I am working in QA. How can I gain knowledge and skills on EHS system? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Profilometer Patch - Gain does not match, Linearity and Stylus = Good General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Information of Using Annex 3 & 4 to gain CE Mark EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Equipment Specifictions - What is Temperature Coefficient - Gain: 0.01% of F.S./?C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Car Slump Jolts Toyota, Halting 70 Years of Gain World News 3
D Where/How to Gain Training/Education to Be a Quality Professional Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
P How to gain ISO 9001 accreditation for a one man consultancy business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc Ford's U.S. Auto Sales Fall - Toyota, Nissan Gain World News 1
J Control of External Documents - How does one *gain* control of external documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2