OSHA Regulations as Applicable ISO Requirements

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was reviewing some archived audits from one of our primes in anticipation of a visit in a few months and ran across this Nonconformance/Corrective Action -
(all caps, as written) - "SAFETY WARNING SIGNS, SAFETY PERFORMANCE CHARTS NOT POSTED".

I have always been under the opinion that the scope of an ISO 9001 audit did not infringe on the EHS issues too much, but on looking it up I ran across this article, which seems to argue that it includes all of the OSHA scope because it is a "applicable standard and regulation".

Well, I have yet to see an ISO audit check our delivery trucks for valid registrations or our drivers for valid licenses, wouldn't that be an "applicable regulation"? If the scope creeps this far, how far does it go?

This NC was written against ISO 9001:2000, but no clause was cited (customer audits are usually this non-specific), so to prepare, just how far do I need to look here, or is this all way off base?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The article's author is wrong, pure and simple. But don't take my word for it. Look at the advice from the people who wrote ISO 9001:2015 themselves and read the paper linked below, after you read 0.4 of 9001:2015, which CLEARLY stipulates that 9001 has no requirements for safety management systems.
Legal requirements in the context of 9001 applies to the products and services. If OSHA requirements are allowed in, why not Sarbanes-Oxley? Why not EPA? Why not American with Disabilities Act? Why not FISMA? Why not the US Constitution? :mad:

Last edited:

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Good, I thought I had missed something critical, my first impression was "What???", then I ran across this article which made it worse. Thanks gentlemen.

It was written against 2000 because this audit was in 2006. Our customers do a full audit of us every 6 years usually, but they are behind schedule this year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M AS9100 Re-Cert Audit - Auditor concerned with OSHA regulations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K NRTL mark per OSHA regulations - Preferences and experiences IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Management of Change regulations by the US EPA and the US OSHA Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S OSHA Exposure Limits - Regulations for Exposure Information Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
B OSHA Top Ten webinar, March 31 (free online) [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E OSHA - 1926.252(e) - Oily Rag Storage Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 22
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
R OSHA - How often an employee needs to be Re-Trained on Safety Methods Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
Scott Catron OSHA Hazcom GHS Implementation - June 1 2015 deadline Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
N Work Environment - ISO 9001 Clause 6.4 vs. OSHA Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S OSHA Form 174 Template Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
G OSHA Requirement for Training on HAZCOM Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 19
G Is there an OSHA Safety Accreditation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
M OSHA Requirements for Fork Truck Training Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
D Possibly Unwarranted OSHA Citation Question Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 7
Mikey324 How to Check for Legal (OSHA Federal & State) Updates Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
S OSHA and IEC61010 and IEC60601-1 - Varied Requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
S OSHA and UL 60601-1 Relationship Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Identifying Routine and Non-Routine Activities: OSHA OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
W OSHA Requirements and NRTL Electrical Equipment Listing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
S OSHA Requirements for air hose nozzle - Can it be metal or is it plastic? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L OSHA Forklift Training Requirements - Qualification of the "trainer" Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
M Documentation for Health & Safety (OSHA) require ECO's? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Status of Material Safety Data Sheet (OSHA Compliant) vs. 10993 Certificate US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
C What should a temporary, remote location have in place to ensure OSHA compliance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
J Safety requirement for snap-off ID strap - OSHA Requirement? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Jim Wynne Interesting Signs - Possible new OSHA requirement? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
M Recordable Injuries OSHA 300 Log - What kind injuries are required to be recorded? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
Z Audit Check List for Safety Machinery - Conformity with OSHA 1910 General Auditing Discussions 7
Marc BSI and OSHA Web Site Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Raffy OSHA vs. OHSAS 18001 vs. Work Environment - Clause 6.4 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Conflict Mineral Regulations Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Is There a Revision History or Change Log for Canadian Regulations? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
J Interesting Discussion Compliance with regulations in exceptional circumstances EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Status of Medical Device Regulations in UK Post-Brexit Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
G App - Local regulations applicable EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Advertising medical devices in the U.S - Advertising regulations or guidance documents Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Medical device related standards or regulations - Disposed records log ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Interpreting China Medical Device regulations/standards China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – Manufacturer incident report (MIR) for serious incident- template 2020 (Directives and new regulations) version 7.2 and related documents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
P Is there a counterpart to the General Safety and Performance Regulations for the USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0