Our NB says that IEC 62304 is an ISO 14971 Requirement

blah01

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,
I have some questions regarding interpretation of the requirements related to EN ISO 14971:2012 (I use ‘ISO 14971’ interchangeably below) and ISO 62304:2006. Note that I am fairly new to the Cove; I posted 1 question last year and couldn't even figure out how to find it again on the site...a bit pathetic on my part I guess :bonk:...

I have spent nearly 2 days reading through the many posts on these standards to make sure I didn't simply throw out questions that were answered already, and found it to be very informative, although I still have a couple of questions left over which I would greatly appreciate some guidance on.

First as background information, we are a North American manufacturer and our product is a stand-alone software which is considered "aids for disabled/handicapped people", per definition "2.9 medical device" Note 2 in ISO 14971:2012, and which we have classified as a Class A device under ISO 62304. We are compliant to ISO 62304 and are now in the process of implementing EN ISO 14971:2012 since we will be selling in Europe. Note that I am also familiar with the Essential Requirements in MDD 93/42, of which the relevant requirements are addressed by Annex ZA in EN ISO 14971.

My questions are as follows:

2) We've been told by our NB that IEC 62304 is a requirement so we did it (note that this was a good ‘hand in glove’ fit for us so it was no big deal...we would have spent more time debating it than just doing it). However, it is unclear if ISO 14971 is a requirement. IEC 62304 section 4.2 says we need to have a risk management process complying with ISO 14971, however per definition "2.9 medical device" Note 2 in EN ISO 14971:2012, it indicates that there is no harmonized approach yet to devices such as ours, so it is unclear if ISO 14971 is indeed a requirement or not for "aids for disabled/handicapped people". Could anyone shed some light on this?

3) In parallel with question 2, is the approach we took in defining the safety classification of our device per 62304 correct, meaning that we only considered “when used under the conditions and for the purposes intended”, and not “misuse”? When defining our ‘intended use’ statement, we actually identified some exclusions to this, meaning we identified uses of the product which it is not intended for (for example, “does not include rock climbing” ...again, our device is a software product, so the prosthetic/rock climbing example is simply an analogy).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
shimonv 21 CFR 820.20(d) says: Each manufacturer shall establish a Quality Plan 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J jwmuola says Hello Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc FCC boss says he'll SHAME broadband firms for fibbing on speeds After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
bobdoering Who says you can't calibrate a steel rule! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 14
J Auditor says 5.6.3 should be discussed in Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 62
Wes Bucey "Back Doors" to Encryption - NY times says NSA has them After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
Wes Bucey A Headhunter says he has job hunt secrets Career and Occupation Discussions 7
O Is it an Assignable Cause only if the Control Chart says so? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
S Auditor says a Minor Nonconformance will become a Major Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 8
H 'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Marc Threat analyst says medical devices can be hacked remotely Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
Jen Kirley What do you do when an auditee says "No thank you" Internal Auditing 86
P Control of Monitoring and Measurement Devices - ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 says ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Quality Pros? Salaries on the Upswing, ASQ Salary Survey Says Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Stijloor IKEA US Says Thank You to All Its 12,400 Co-Workers World News 5
D Found Watch - Watch is "Element" and says "New York" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
G Dangerous Act - Auditor says major nonconformance for safety (risk) issue Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 21
C Calibration Laboratory Location - GMP says in a secure bonded area General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Stijloor Ford Says It Made $2.7 Billion in 2009 World News 8
E FMEA Action Plan Threshold (RPN) - Auditor says Action Plan for an RPN > 84 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
J Modern man a wimp says anthropologist Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
bobdoering Wheeler is back again! He says it is the last volley! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J Immortality only 20 years away says scientist Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
P Attribute Control Chart in my Process - Black Belt says Not Appropriate Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
J Using 3 Basics to find Position - Customer says to use the X, Y and Z Basics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
Marc SANS Report Says Organizations Focusing On the Wrong Security Threats After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
bobdoering Toyota forecasts $8.6B loss, says 1 million sales will vanish World News 2
M The FDA says device regulation will move toward harmonization... 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Marc Anonymous Caller? New Service Says, Not Any More World News 2
J Standards for loyalty barcodes - USA says that C128 is their standard Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
tony s Auditor says our Quality Manual is deficient. What can you say? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 58
J Print says "Reference Only" - NOT - Thread call out for a 3/8-32 UNEF-2A Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
Stijloor What Your Boss Says and What He Really Means Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Marc US Internet Backbones Could Max Out before 2010, Study Says After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Stijloor Toyota is Slipping, Consumer Reports Says Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Stijloor Drunken astronauts allowed to fly, panel says Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
E MSA Manual says the sum of EV,AV,GRR, and PV cannot equal 100%? Why? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Sales Force (Catalogue) says We are TS16949 Certified - Is this allowed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Einstein says... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc Oil Company CEO Pay Averaged $32.7 Million in 2005, Study Says World News 2
Crusader Process Approach beef - Registrar says that we 'should' use the process approach General Auditing Discussions 20
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
T DaimlerChrysler says it will cut 6,000 administrative jobs over three years World News 2
P Gage R&R - What does the % tolerance says about my Gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Marc Lawsuit says Delphi faked sales to improve financial reports World News 0
D What the AIAG manual says about the frequency of MSA - Measurement system analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Marc U.K., Germany, France Competitiveness and Efficiency Slips, WEF Says World News 0
C IATF Guidance for TS 16949:2002 - Course Instructor says it's important ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5