Our Parent company is our supplier? FAI (First Article Inspection) not required?

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have a situation here where our parent company (different facility) is our supplier of critical parts. We complete the manufacturing process at our facility.

There are a few concerns in which we have to write CAR's for.

*Our parent company has already done FAI and qualification of their own mfg. processes and their suppliers for their facility.

*We are receving our parent company's parts at our station and are having difficulties in obtaining a PPAP package from them.

*We also cut P.O.'s to our parent company for some critical parts which are made in Europe. (The Europe supplier was qualified by them)

*These parts from Europe arrive at our facility and we are trying to get PPAP documentation for those parts as well.

The issue is ultimately our parent company is not being as cooperative as they should be in giving us PPAP/FAI data packages for our baseline records to conform to the Supplier Control specification.

Is there anything in the reg's that would help us hit our point home? :read:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

BadgerMan

Re: Our Parent company is our supplier? FAI not required?

How are you communicating the requirement for submittal of the FAIR to you by your supplier (your parent organization)?

The standard only requires that they have a system for FAI (8.2.4.2), provided you are requiring them to comply with AS9100. If you want them to perform FAI in a specific manner (such as AS9102) and/or submit the resulting report (FAIR) to you, you need to flow those requirements down. Has all this been done? You my want to review your PO and/or your T’s and C’s.

BTW, based on my experiences in a previous life, PPAP is an automotive industry requirement. In my present job when I mistakenly refer to a FAIR as a PPAP, people look at me like I am from another planet.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions

How are you communicating the requirement for submittal of the FAIR to you by your supplier (your parent organization)?

The standard only requires that they have a system for FAI (8.2.4.2), provided you are requiring them to comply with AS9100. If you want them to perform FAI in a specific manner (such as AS9102) and/or submit the resulting report (FAIR) to you, you need to flow those requirements down. Has all this been done? You my want to review your PO and/or your T’s and C’s.

BTW, based on my experiences in a previous life, PPAP is an automotive industry requirement. In my present job when I mistakenly refer to a FAIR as a PPAP, people look at me like I am from another planet.
I agree with Badger, you should still flow down your quality requirements if you want them to do the FAI or if there is certain customer expectations that have to be met other wise how will it happen?

Will you do the FAI?

Best Regards,
Al40

Last edited:
F

Frank T.

I agree with Badger as well, you should flow down your FAI (Aerospace) / PPAP (Automotive) requirements. If you already flow down these requirements and they are not adhereing to them, then a CAR might be necessary.

At my facility we do all FAI/PPAP's, regardless if purchased-out. This may seem crazy to some :bonk:, but it assures us that the parts meet all customer requirements. (Not suggesting that a supplier would fudge information. :notme:)

This is just an opinion........

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Is a parent company who provide services to its subsidiary a Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Using our parent company's ISO/TS 16949 Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M TS16949 Exclusions - Design & Development is carried out by our parent company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
x-files Plans/Requests from Parent Company: Objectives or still plans? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Separate Quality System? Product line of a parent company spins off 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Different Company with a different name under our Roof (Same Parent Company, though) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D ISO 9001 Registration: Research Parent Company or wholly owned subsidiary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Design Control - Parent Company is located in Australia 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Cl 7.4 Purchasing - Selection of Suppliers determined by Parent Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Parent Company and new Company - Boundaries Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
sonflowerinwales Visit to Parent Company in San Diego - Advice on Business & Social Etiquette in USA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 35
J Another "Parent Company" Question - 'Sister' company handles sales IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J More Design Questions - Parent Company Design Responsible Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
D ISO 13485 and ISO 17025 Interface - Laboratory vs. Parent Company ISO 17025 related Discussions 17
R DHF structure for accessories to a parent device US Medical Device Regulations 1
T Accessories and Parent Device Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
G Parent Device as the Predicate for an Accessory Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
C Does an accessory need an IFU if it use is discussed in the Parent device IFU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q Upcoming ISO13485 Audit from the parent NB (Notified Body) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
N Clinical trials - Generic "parent" procedure vs. study-specific "child" versions Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Using a Parent Corporation's Environmental Policy Statement Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
C Regulatory Affairs in a start-up medical device company Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Q Approving distributors as suppliers for automotive company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P How to keep a ISO 9001:2015 certification when a company is sold ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M New Daughter company - ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L BlipSnip is it Legit Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Seeking Consultant for Orthopedic Start Up company Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Can PLM be in the OEM position for another company? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L Acquiring software from 3rd party company IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Starting my own 3rd party inspection company Service Industry Specific Topics 6
Kevin_Hall Becoming a successful manager of a spacecraft company Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 11
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J How many majors is one company allowed ? IATF16949 Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
A Outsourcing registration to a local company China Medical Device Regulations 0
D Technical Standard aggregator company suggestions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Transferring a calibrated counting scale to a sister company Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Transferring ISO 17025 from one company to another ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F IVD registration in EU - Northern Ireland based company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A AS9100D - Clause 8.1 Operation - Coating service company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0