Our tags (that identify the status of parts) and labels do not have a form number

J

Joe_1

Forms, Level 4

We are currently seeking QS9000 registration. The question that I have is one concerning forms, tags, and labels. We have a great number of tags, forms, and documents (level 4 ) here. Our forms have form numbers, issue dates, and revision levels. However, our tags (that identify the status of parts) and labels do not have a form number, rev level, and issue date. I recently visited a ISO9000 contractor and noticed that their tags and labels did in fact have at least a form number attatched to them. I am wondering if we should implement form numbers on all the labels and tags? Please advise me on the correct way to handle level 4.....please!

Thank you for your help!
Joe W. Guy, Jr.
QS9000 Admin.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tom Goetzinger

Joe,
I would suggest that you control your tags and labels with form numbers and rev levels. There is no other way to ensure that only the correct and current ones are in use. I've worked in organizations where different areas had different tags and labels to do the same thing; it was confusing, to say the least, and did cause problems when workers were moved around the various assembly areas. Adding them to the document control system helped alot.

J

Joe_1

Thanks TOM, but I have more.... We do control our tags,labels, and forms to an extent. What we do is, that on tags,stickers, and labels, the DOCUMENT number is placed on a master that is kept in the physical QA/QC manual (hard copy of the book). However, the ones that we use on the shop floor and in operations do not list the form number, rev date, etc as like the "master" that is located in the Quality manual, level 4 section. The idea that I aquired from another person here in the Quality dept is that if the curent tag, label, sticker, etc. was in the manual, and that the manual is completely correct and up to date, then there is no need that we place document numbers on tags, labels, and stickers. Would this pose as a potential Quality Problem (nonconformance)for the upcoming registration audit (QS9000)? What I think, and please tell me if I'm wrong, is that true, the "master" is correct in the manual itself, but how do we really know that the tags, labels, and stickers that we are using currently on the physical shop floor and processes are actually the correct rev? To me, there is a potential Quality Control problem that could result here. I gues my question is, should every single tage, label, sticker and form that we use here have the same DOC number, issue date and rev. level just as the "master"??? Please advise....
Thanks,
Joe W. Guy, Jr.
QS9000 Admin.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Joe,

There is nothing that requires you to be sure that all documents have document IDs on them (this is not a nonconformance of any type). Some times it is even impossible (the orginal "master" exists only in hardcopy format for instance). The advantage in having form IDs is that one could compare ID/Revision information without having to compare it visually (i.e. you have the Master List on your server with the correct information that can be compared from any location in the facility). Other than a little extra work, there is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

How do you know that the correct tags, lebels, etc are being used? I hope that your internal auditors would pick this up on the random audits. What I instruct my audit team to do is to collect documents while out on an audit to compare later with the Master Log. They could be auditing any aspect of the standard or area in the organization, it really doesn't matter. This way you ensure the right documents are being used and that new ones haven't crept into the system unknowingly.

Regards,

Kevin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Country of Origin or Made In Tags - Where a country is a principality EU Medical Device Regulations 11
N Control of stock (Off the Shelf) Non-Conforming Material & Product Tags ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B FDA Requirements for Retaining Non-Conformance Tags (Medical Device Manufacturers) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Reject Tags - Plastic reject tags that can be erased and reused Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J Requirements for PMA parts for domestic use and 8130-3 Tags Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
D Assembly Line Traceability using Green Tags - Conformance with ISO9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F Calibration Tags - External company applied their tags - Do I need to apply our tags Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A US group implants electronic tags in workers World News 14
apestate Supplier for QC stickers, hold tags, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Lack of Training vs. Laziness: Failure to Complete Forms and Tags AFTER Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 68
W Nonconformance ID tags - Seeking universal non-conforming Red Tag - Approx. 4" x 6" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Reject Tags - red tag is a form and needs to have a part number and revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
Wes Bucey RFID (radio frequency identification) Tags - Inventory and WIP Tracking Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 19
Marc Europe Adding RFID Tags to Euro Currency World News 3
E Where Can I Buy Two Part Rejection Tags? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
U When do we identify Residual Risk? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D How to identify and confirm that the developed device fall under Israel electro medical device category Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E How do you identify what standards a country recognizes outside of FDA, EU, Health Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Marc Can you identify this moth? 19 January 2019 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
D Help identify a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) (UL) certified lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T To Identify the Applicable MDD Directive - Prepared blood smear EU Medical Device Regulations 13
A Requirement to Identify Changes to record in ISO 13485 : 2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R AS9100D Cl. 8.4.2 - Identify Raw Material as a Significant Operational Risk AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
C How to Identify Counterfeit Medications (drugs)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
P How to identify the Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T How to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection' Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Resource Planning/How to identify IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V How to identify Customer Specific Requirement If is not provided by Customer Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
G How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
X Existing Toolroom Process Validation - Need to identify clauses addressed. Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C How Can I Identify 304 Stainless Steel? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Geoff Cotton How to identify Stakeholders in a Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M How to identify CTQ / Critical Characteristics using the DFMEA approach. FMEA and Control Plans 3
R 3rd Party Audit Comment - Identify ISO Clauses/Sub Clauses to each Process Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 45
J AS9100:C Risk Management - Identify the Risk for the Sales/Contract Processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
T How to Identify Taper Gages without potentially damaging them General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N How to Number (Identify) and Index Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A DoC for Software Product - How can I identify the specific units that are covered? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T How to Identify "Observation" in Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
X Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
S Identify Environment Aspect by Activities Approach ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
T Can't identify my company's "Key Process" Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 27
B Effectiveness of 200% Visual Inspection to Identify Defects and Defectives Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 32
N Definition IDENTIFY and DETERMINE - What is the technical difference between the words Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 64