Out of specification procedure for Medical device manufacturing

HI
I was tasked to implement an Out of specification procedure for medical device manufacturing based on the FDA Guidance For Industry Investigating Out-of-specification (OOS) test results for Pharmaceutical Production October 2006. Has anyone implemented something similar and have you perhaps found a more suitable guideline to use?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
What do you currently have in place for containment regarding this kind of thing? I would assume that looking at the risk of occurrence, there may be a process that you have started that could be extrapolated on?

Yes, we are a medical device manufacturer. We apply a sampling procedure to final batches for QC routine destructive testing. In the past we would have rejected a batch if one of the samples failed, but now we need to implement a OOS procedure where we need to investigate the cause, test more samples, and if the additional samples pass, pass the batch. I understand the pharmaceutical guideline given to me to implement, to be based on resampling from a larger volume sample to test and is a check to see if the lab testing procedure was correct. Implementing this pharmaceutical guideline for single unit medical devices does not make sense to me

I think this might be the guidance document Disadolly is referencing.

The big two medical device QMS regulations are 21CFR Part 820 for the FDA and ISO 13485.

Are you trying to implement a new procedure for OOS incidents?

Hi, your reference is spot-on. We are CE certified and have FDA approval for the devices. This is a new procedure for OOS that I need to implement, as we do not have such a procedure. In the past, if the sample devices failed at final QC testing, the entire batch was rejected.

I'm a bit lost. Are you a device manufacturer or a pharmaceutical manufacturer? What, specifically, was the test that failed?

We are a medical device manufacturer. The tests referred to are the final QC routine mechanical destructive testing of the device performed on a sampling plan of the batch.

Zero_yield

No cost too great...for Quality
I'm in med device manufacturing. I'll try to explain what I know about sampling, but statics are not my specialty

For each type of in-process sampling we do, we have a documented sampling plan based on ISO 2859-1. Sampling is based on severity of the issue being checked (i.e. patient risk), detectability, and the level of validation of the relevant product / processes. For some (not all) processes where we sample, we have a documented second/double sample plan.

So for example, we have a process where we sample a dozen or so parts out of a batch of >1000 parts. This is based on ISO 2859-1, Level 2-4, AQL=1.0, single sampling. There's some variability in the process - the beginning of the batch could be slightly different from the end of the batch, and there's different positions that each see slightly different processing. The sampling specifies picking samples from the beginning and end of the batch, as well as each of the different positions to make sure the samples are representative of the batch.

When we have a failure, it usually applies to the entire batch (it's not that much variation), so we do often reject the batch even after investigation. Sometimes, the failure applies to one specific location within the batch. So let's say there was an issue at the beginning of the run - we could determine where the issue was resolved, reject all product to that point, and retest to confirm our correction was accurate.

The real value doesn't come from saving a batch here or a part of a batch there, though. It's doing the investigations, finding the root causes, coming up with appropriate corrective and preventative actions, and incrementally improving the process. I've seen plenty of issues that had a risk of a patient receiving a substandard product or were costing us big money every year go away completely because of good deviation management and good CAPAs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Procedure or Specification For Extending Gages Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
B Mig Welding WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) and Welder Qualification Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Soldering specification - Seeking example of a soldering procedure Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A Ford Engineering Specification / Procedure ES-F1AF-1A274-AA QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
X Design stage overview (Product specification) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Manufacturer vs. Specification Developer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News ISO 9001 Design Specification to be developed - May 2022 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Particular Specification References Out-of-Date Collateral Specification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
P ISO 11607-2 Process Specification Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
6 BAE SPECIFICATION 12596520 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R GS1 DataMatrix code does not meet GS1 Specification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Examples of FDA acceptable Software Design Specification (SDS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
K Radius with specification only Max limit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
G What does performance specification include? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Setting flexible packaging specification limits ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
G National Structural Steel Specification 7th Edition - Do I now have to be audited against ISO 3843-3 as well as ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Performance specification as a Risk Control Measure, EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
D Subcontracting specification developer duties US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
shimonv IEC 60601-1 Essential Performance - Is the signal accuracy specification an essential requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S How to find technical specification for facilities maintainance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
S When does a Distributor become a Specification Developer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Lisa Christo Specification developer Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B IATF 16949:2016 – Technical Specification (eBook edition) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Contract Manufacturer/OEM Supplier - We are a specification developer for a kitted product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Compliance to standards (ISO 80369) but the ID is out of specification Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I EO sterilization out of specification and correction Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C Specification Developer or Consultant? Definitions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Medical Device Manufacturer vs. Specification Developer Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Specification on flare testing extruded aluminum - Where to find Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
supadrai Establishment registered as specification developer and foreign exporter only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M McDonnell Douglas Specification Control Drawings Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Dates on Labels acceptable to the USA - GS1 General Specification 3.4.4 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S GR&R using 10 Parts with different Specification Limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
shimonv Soldering Station Accuracy out of specification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Accounting for Variability on High Side of Specification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
P Specification Subscription Services - Eg: Things like MSDS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J Deformation specification not defined in print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Understanding the absolute uncertainty specification for a Fluke 5500A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3