Definition Out of Tolerance Condition - Definition of *Significant* Out of Tolerance Condition

M

MRagman

My company follows MIL-STD-45662. This standard requires that we provide our own definition of "significant out of tolerance condition" as applied to gage calibration. If a gage fails calibration and meets this definition, action is to be taken to correct possible nonconforming product. What is a good definition of significant out of tolerance condition? How does industry perceive this definition and what factors should be considered? Our current definition is to take the calibration tolerance of the gage and add a certain percentage. I would like some information that could be used as a "benchmark".

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
Significant Out Of Tolerance, is the amount out of tolerance that has potential to impact product quality. Because it has always been so vague, I have done away with significant out of tolerance. "Significant" truly can't be defined by the calibration lab, but must be based on the user's application. There is the presumption that the user has the correct tool for the measurement it is used for. With that presumption, it can be further presumed that he needs the applicable tolerance. So with those presumptions, significant out of tolerance is any out of tolerance. With the use of Gage R&R/MSA's, it has become better defined what measurement tool accuracy/stability/repeatability/reproducibility is needed to do the job. Using those concepts, and perhaps some control charts, and by reporting all out of tolerance conditions to the user, there is these days a better concept of when a measurement tool has drifted far enough to impact the process measurement (out of control).

I believe back in the days when MIL-STD-45662A was implemented, in the defense contractor environment (which it was designed for), philosophies functioned differently. I am not sure how many people out there are still using a separate limit for significant out-of-tolerance. By all rights, if you use a separate limit, you have to define it based on test equipment applications, track it, define it, and defend it. By sticking simply with the instrument tolerances, it makes the reporting mechanism to the end user much simpler.

The user then makes the determination based on the particulars what if any corrective action is needed. The same out of tolerance condition on the same model test equipment could have two different implications in two different applications.

A bandwidth issue on a 400 MHz oscilloscope, let's say a Tek 2465B (good equipment, just an example). If measured bandwidth at the -3dB point moved from say 420 to 320 MHz over a cal cycle, and the scope is used at two different test stations. At one station, they measure 1 KHz sine wave amplitudes, and at the other station, they measure risetimes of let us say 0.50 nanoseconds.

That out of tolerance condition would not be significant to the test station that measures amplitudes of 1 KHz sine waves. But it would be very important to the other test station where they measure risetimes (which would have been effected by this OOT).

My two cents is that the wise thing is to either call all out of tolerance conditions significant (which is, I believe a pretty common practice these days as the more recent standards don't give the latitude for defining a significant out of tolerance condition), or a detailed review of the applications of the test equipment (very cumbersome), and set significant out of tolerance limits based on that information.

I'll also be interested to hear some of the other viewpoints and opinions on this. I haven't heard a good discussion of this topic in a number of years.

------------------

R
Hard gage tolerancing always goes toward the center of the prescribed part tolerance. A plug gage has a plus go tolerance and a negative nogo tolerance. An in-tolerance go gage can reject good parts if you're riding the limit but will not accept bad parts. The go gage is the one subject to wear. Should it wear to the point of affecting assembly, you have a significant condition. That's up to you and the customer to determine.
Mike

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D As Found Condition - In or out of tolerance? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Maximum Material Condition on Diameter Tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Common Reasons for Out Of Tolerance condition of DC Calibrator or any reference std General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Determination of M&TE out of tolerance condition and what to do when found General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Q Definition Out of Tolerance (OOT) Condition - What is an Out of Tolerance Condition? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Tolerance when verifying an analytical balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Excel OOT (Out of Tolerance) Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
N Tolerance Interval plots in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M GD&T tolerance or band? Using a symbol like parallelism // Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J What is the difference between Process Variation and Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Gage R&R without tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Using K-Factor(Tolerance Interval) Analysis for Design Verification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Acceptable NDC for %GR&R part inspection to Tolerance (%Tolerance) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Calibration tolerance for data logger General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Straightness Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
G Calculating Tolerance of a Panel Meter with a 2 degrees of an Arc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
kedarg6500 Excel spreadsheet for Unilateral Tolerance Study wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
U Control Charting a Feature with Bonus Tolerance Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
B Gage R&R MSA - Variation, Tolerance, Variance by different methods IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
R Fixing of tolerance limit - Electronic weighing balance with the capacity of 150 Kgs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5