Definition Out of Tolerance (OOT) Condition - What is an Out of Tolerance Condition?

Q

qaadrian

We are having a 'spirited discussion' about what constitutes on out of tolerance (OOT) condition for the calibration of customers standards and equipment. As QA I say it's any condition that does not meet the customers contractual requirements, or pass our calibration procedure. This is generally agreed to except in the case when the equipment is in operative. If its inoperative, then some people say its not an out of tolerance condition. Where can I find a clear definition for OOT? I'm interested in learning about other peoples views on this topic. Thanks for the feedback.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

I guess I need to ask, how does your group define non-operational and if you are talking about a gage being non-operational?

As an example, on occasion we take perfectly good gages out of circulation and tag them as "idle".

Is it operational? I guess it depends on the wording in your system documentation.

As for out of tolerance, your right on the mark.

Maybe some more examples from the Cove Group?

ASD...

D

Dan Larsen

My two cents...

"Out of tolerance" would be unable to meet the customer requirements (defined contractually). I'd be careful about using "my own" tolerances to define out of tolerance. In fact, ISO 17025 prohibits the cal service from making a judgement call of "in" or "out" unless the customer has requested this.

As for inoperative, I guess you could make a case for the gage being OOT; if it can't be used to measure, then it can't measure within the tolerance. In effect, the "as found" would be OOT. However, as a calibration consumer, I think I'd prefer the "as found" to show "Damaged" or "Not Operative" instead of "Out of Tolerance". The statement that the gage is damaged may help me in validating a review of previous results.

Q

qaadrian

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. We calibrate electrical equipment for customers. We don't have a definition for "non-operational" because not everyone can reach a consesus (its a stubborn group). Thats why I say if you can't take a reading, then it's OOT. Good point about making judgements. We are going to 17025 in the near future. Last bit of info: I did grant certain exceptions - if a fuse is blown or the battery is dead or if it's a typical user function/adjustment, then it's not an OOT. The tech is allowed to fix the problem and then proceed with taking As Found data. Thanks for the feedback so far. I hope I can get a couple more points of view.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a question - if the unit is inoperative, how can you call is out of tolerance? If it doesn't work, how can you check it against a standard? We work with standard measuring equipment, i.e. micrometer, calipers. If a set of calipers is dropped, or the gears become jamb, we repair the unit and then subject it to a full calibration.

And for Dan - is your 2 cents worth adjusted for inflation and/or the rising porice of fuel??? LOL

CarolX

D

Dan Larsen

To CarolX...

I generally make it a point to gas up BEFORE a trip to Chi Town. It doesn't save a lot, but it gives me a few extra cents to spend on the Illinois lottery! (I figure you Flatlander's have pulled enough of out of Wisconsin...it's MY turn! :) )

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Dan...

LOL!!!!

Shall we confuse the rest of the contributors with a Flatlander vs Cheesehead debate??????

Have a good day!

CarolX

Q

qaadrian

Appreciate all of the feedback. I've decided to define, in writing, "Inoperative" and "Out-of-Tolerance" conditions for the lab using their suggestions. Basically, if you can't perform the cal, it's inoperative. If you can do the cal and the results do not meet the customers or the calibration procedures acceptance criteria, it will be an OOT. Of course, the final decision rests with the customer. Have a good weekend everybody.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Excel OOT (Out of Tolerance) Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
AmandaMusser AS9100C Out Of Tolerance (OOT) Equipment - Customer Approval AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Tolerance when verifying an analytical balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Tolerance Interval plots in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M GD&T tolerance or band? Using a symbol like parallelism // Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J What is the difference between Process Variation and Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Gage R&R without tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Using K-Factor(Tolerance Interval) Analysis for Design Verification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Acceptable NDC for %GR&R part inspection to Tolerance (%Tolerance) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Cpk for Unilateral Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Calibration tolerance for data logger General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Straightness Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
G Calculating Tolerance of a Panel Meter with a 2 degrees of an Arc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Hami812 Cpk Setting Tolerance - Cart before the Horse? (Wifi Routers) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
kedarg6500 Excel spreadsheet for Unilateral Tolerance Study wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
U Control Charting a Feature with Bonus Tolerance Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
B Gage R&R MSA - Variation, Tolerance, Variance by different methods IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
R Fixing of tolerance limit - Electronic weighing balance with the capacity of 150 Kgs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculation Imported Legacy Blogs 0
H Tolerance, decimal places, and measuring equipment capability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
G Out of Dimensional Tolerance - MRB Audit Issue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3