SBS - The best value in QMS software

Outside Calibration - Accredited, certified - Is NIST traceability guaranteed?

rstocum

Involved In Discussions
I am sorry if this subject has been answered somewhere else. I could'nt find it with a basic search. I am the quality engineer for a company seeking ISO9001:2000 registration. We are reviewing our gage lab methods and are wondering: where it comes to our outside calibration (surface plates, comparators, scales, etc.) if the lab we contract these services to is A2LA "accredited", and ISO 17025 "certified", is it automatically known to our registrar's auditor that what they calibrate for us is traceable to NIST standards? Or do we need to get a statement from the lab to that effect?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
rstocum said:
I am sorry if this subject has been answered somewhere else. I could'nt find it with a basic search. I am the quality engineer for a company seeking ISO9001:2000 registration. We are reviewing our gage lab methods and are wondering: where it comes to our outside calibration (surface plates, comparators, scales, etc.) if the lab we contract these services to is A2LA "accredited", and ISO 17025 "certified", is it automatically known to our registrar's auditor that what they calibrate for us is traceable to NIST standards? Or do we need to get a statement from the lab to that effect?
Section 7.6 does not specifically call out NIST or A2LA only that the tiems must be traceable. But you auditor should not question the A2LA traceability. Review your Cal labs ISO cert. Often, in the cert paragraph it usually will state certified to ....... And NIST or ANSI will usually be lsited.

You may want to review the release by A2LA.

http://www.a2la.org/press_releases/PR7799PolicyNIST.htm

http://www.a2la.org/annreports/2004_ar/annual_report/recognition.html

"The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has formally recognized A2LA as competent to accredit testing laboratories to meet the technical requirements for acceptance by European Union Member State Governments under the EMC Annex of the U.S. - EU Mutual Recognition Agreement. NIST has also recognized A2LA as an authorized body under the provisions of Phase I of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) MRA."

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
rstocum said:
If the calibration certificates you receive from your source don't explicitly refer to traceability, they should. Just because a lab is A2LA (or otherwise) accredited doesn't guarantee that each individual calibration was done using traceable standards, any more than ISO registration guarantees that each individual product will meet specifications.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
First thing to look at.....EVERY lab in the U.S. will claim they are traceable to NIST.....the claim without evidence means nothing.....

Accreditation to ANS/ISO/IEC 17025 when conducted by a recognized accrediting body means that the traceability has been checked and verified and that your 9K auditor should accpet it.

A note here, the internationally recognized accrediting bodies that are U.S.-based are: IAS, A2LA, NVLAP.

Also, the traceability does not have to be through NIST.....it can be through ANY of the NMIs (National Measurement Institutes) that are signatories to the BIPM arranagement.....for a U.S. organization, that means traceability through Canada or Mexico is EQUALLY ACCEPTABLE, though through the National body (in this case NIST is preferred).

One other thing to watch.....many labs will charge extra for the "accredited" certificate, which includes the logo and the uncertainties.....spend the extra to get the accredited cert, then you know it has what you need.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hershal said:
Accreditation to ANS/ISO/IEC 17025 when conducted by a recognized accrediting body means that the traceability has been checked and verified and that your 9K auditor should accpet it.
This does not mean, however, that nothing ever changes between visits from the accrediting body. The accreditation means that the last time someone looked, everything was OK. It doesn't mean that new standards of questionable pedigree weren't acquired the day after the visit. The likelihood is small, I know, and if the lab is properly accredited you're probably safe, but ISO auditing is about objective evidence, and making assumptions based on accreditation isn't objective evidence, imo.

rstocum

Involved In Discussions
Gentlemen, thank you. One thing Hershal said was just stated by the management of our outside calibration lab. If there is ISO 17025 certfication accredited by an accrediting body like A2LA, the traceability of their equipment and inspection methods is understood to be traceable back to NIST standards. The guy I just spoke to said that is implicitly stated in the ISO 17025 certfication and he is faxing us a copy of it. One less headache on the road to ISO - thanks again.

Rich

R

ralphsulser

We were cautioned by our TS16949 CB lead auditor to watch the certifications for next due date for the master gage blocks traceable to N.I.S.T. Every systems certification can look good until you look closely to see if they are beyond the due date. The CB auditor said she has seen a few out dated ones listed.

M

mikoyan

Another word of caution. If you are using an ISO-17025 lab make sure that the items they are calibrating are covered by their scope. We got tripped up a couple years ago for that. The lab we were using was not accredited for some of the things they were calibrated.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Ya this is a weak post but

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but one of the most common items of advice under this topic is to include the requirement for NIST traceable, accredited, full report calibration in the purchase order.

This is covered in ISO 9001:2000 under the heading "Purchasing information"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Using Outside Accredited Calibration Laboratories vs. In-house Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Validity of Calibration outside the Calibration Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Are Outside Calibration Companies required to NADCAP Certified? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Flow Meter Calibration - Outside Calibration Service vs. In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Determination of Calibration Frequency by an Outside Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
C Interpreting Outside Laboratory Calibration Certificate Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I TS 16949 Audit Minor non conformance - Outside Calibration Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
B No editable (alterable) raw data from outside calibration laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
S Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Outside Calibration Laboratory Satisfying Gage R&R Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
sonflowerinwales Can I use a 17025 laboratory for calibration outside of their scope? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
T IM&TE - Outside calibration companies - 7.6.3.2 External Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Auditor interpretation of PO data - PO submitted for outside calibration General Auditing Discussions 2
K Quality Agreement MDR - The manufacturer is outside of EU Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
E Responsibilities opening new markets outside EU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Outside micrometer anvils parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Laboratory Environmental Conditions Outside of limits ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
A Large outside micrometers calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Material from outside CER evaluation period CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
E How do you identify what standards a country recognizes outside of FDA, EU, Health Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J AS9100 - Working Outside of Scope of Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B FDA Philippines has no check or balance outside the health department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
I Certificate of Exportability - Contract manufacturer located outside the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
GStough Nonconformance Found Outside the Audit Scope - Supplier Audit General Auditing Discussions 16
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C TS 16949 Exclusions outside of clause 7.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Taking on a job outside of our ISO Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B WEEE requirements if I sell devices outside the EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
T Does your Quality Dept Control Procedures Outside the Scope of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T What to do if parameters are found to be Outside of Control Limits Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Where next? Thinking outside the QMS box Career and Occupation Discussions 9
M CE Mark outside of Europe - Implications EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Filing MDRs (Medical Device Report) for OUS (Outside United States) events Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Does an Outside Steam Generator need to be Registered in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I AS9100 PPAP requirements for outside Heat Treat vendors/suppiers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S TS 16949 Outside Process Control Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D CE Marking for Custom Ordered Products Outside of the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Internal Laboratory Services - Selling Services to "Outside" Customers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Use of CE Mark for Medical Devices outside the EU CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
F Biocompatibility study conducted in the GLP lab outside Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
M Reference a MAF outside the context of a US FDA submission? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Using STERILE symbols on outside and inside packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Auditing a process outside the realm of the formal Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Requirements for FMEA outside of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M TickITplus awareness outside UK & Sweden? Software Quality Assurance 3