SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Outsourced Audits - Career Question

M

MDhappy

I have a question for those of you that perform internal audits as a consultant, or for those of you that have an opinion on the subject...

I hold a FT position as a Quality Assurance Manager. I love my job, I love the people I work with, and I really love the company I work for. The downside? I have been at the same company for 10+ years... I really would like to see other Quality Systems.

I have been pondering the idea of performing third party audits for other companies. I love internal audits, and am quite good at providing constructive feedback and probably most importantly in the QMS world, my audits pass registrar audits. :D

However, here are the things that cross my mind when I think about it:
Getting approval from my own company; ensuring there is not a conflict of interest or ASQ ethical violations; certifications: is lead auditor and ASQ CMQ/OE enough; business license - I imagine I need to provide some sort of identity for tax purposes and report any income myself...; disclosing my current employer: I imagine that would be important; NDA, I am assuming each company would have outsiders sign their NDA, but does a consultant need to be prepared with their own?

These are just some of my thoughts... What have others found out there? What are your thoughts? We all know Internal Audits are best suited by internal employees, however, the next best thing should be useful information designed to make your system better, third party or not. :)

:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Maybe consider another option. Our local (N. TX) ASQ Audit SIG has a 'service' arm called ASIGAS (ASQ Audit SIG Audit Services). We have a number of lead auditors that need audit time to maintain their certifications. So ASIGAS provides free audit services for local companies (we do ask them to buy lunch for the auditors). We generally put a team together comprising a lead auditor, one or 2 qualified auditors, and 1 or 2 observers.

Indeed, we require auditors be ethical and recuse themselves if there is a potential for conflict of interest. We also require that auditors cannot do business with the companies for a year after the audit (to avoid any motivation for priming the consulting pump). It's a great way to get involved and clients love the service.

So you might check with your local ASQ chapter to see if they have such a SIG. If not, you can always start one! :)

M

MDhappy

I had not, until now. I am familiar with the baldrige program, but had not considered participating in the elite few. It is my goal to be more professionally active in the next 12-24 months.... Thanks for the comment!

M

mlaurie

Yodon,
I thought Lead Auditors were in short supply, especially with AS9100C still not fully complete and 9001:2015 on the horizon. I?m Prepping to be a contract auditor, I have a heavy background in aerospace and medical devices. But it sounds like this might not be in demand as I thought. What are your thoughts?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Yodon,
I thought Lead Auditors were in short supply, especially with AS9100C still not fully complete and 9001:2015 on the horizon. I?m Prepping to be a contract auditor, I have a heavy background in aerospace and medical devices. But it sounds like this might not be in demand as I thought. What are your thoughts?
AS9100 and medical device industry auditors are indeed in short supply.

J

Jeff Frost

Jennier,

I know two AS9100 LA’s from your organization and they have plenty of work but it might be helpful if you could give some insight into typical work load you are seeing in the field.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Yodon,
I can attest, as Jennifer noted, that 13485 auditors are in short supply based on the feedback I get from the 'audit houses' (BSI, etc.) and from personal experience (it's hard to schedule our auditor!).

M

mlaurie

In regards to MD Happy?s ?Quest?

I?m surprised to hear there are companies willing to allow auditors to do their internal audits, but makes sense if the price is right, free. Still a sticky wicket with potential liability of NCs.

I would suggest targeting your suppliers. They are required to allow customer audits. You may get better buy in from top management to do them. Companies not associated with your business probably won?t allow any 3rd party/independent audits even for free, they?re not required, why spend the internal resources?!
We?re AS9100C and have a 13485 medical division, about 10 people in each division. A surveillance audit is 2 days by our CB + the ? Report Prep. Unless you?re a customer or a potential customer, you don?t get in. I do well to find time for my internals but we wouldn't allow anyone in, even for free. PO in / Product out is the real policy of some? or most, but not all companies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Internal Auditor Selection (Outsourced Internal Audits) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Is hiring a CB for certification and periodic audits an outsourced activity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
R Handling Quality Self-Audits on Outsourced Products Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
T Can ISO 9001 Internal Quality Audits be Outsourced? Internal Auditing 9
D Can Internal Audits be Outsourced? Internal Auditing 5
S Can outsourced processes be excluded from QMS scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Definition Outsourced process - Clear definition - 13485 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S Outsourced storage Quality Agreement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Process description for outsourced processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Significant change notice for outsourced warehouse Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
S Outsourced processes how to interact with projects - We are an governmental department with 2 persons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Updates on Documentation for outsourced OEM from ISO 13485:2003 to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K ISO 14001:2015 clause 8.1 on outsourced processes ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
Q Control of outsourced processes - drop shipped products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Risk Mitigation Through Outsourced Manufacturing EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Q ISO 9001:2015 Outsourced Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
K Outsourced Major Processes - Working for Two Sister Companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Clear definition of Outsourced Processes (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Scope of Certification for a Design Organization with Outsourced Mfg. - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 6.3 - Infrastructure - Almost Everything is Outsourced ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J ITAR flow down to Processors (Outsourced Processes) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Non Conformity due to Outsourced Internal Audit Error ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
R Outsourced Plating Supplier Responsibilities Service Industry Specific Topics 8
KyloDen Checking Threads - Discrepancy in threads that are machined In-House vs. Outsourced General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
N Neutral Code Requirement - Medical Devices Outsourced from India ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J ISO 13485:2016 QMS: Outsourced Processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Y Outsourced aerospace work quality assurance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
P Records for outsourced special processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Outsourced CMM Measurement Inspection Service and ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
I Vehicles (Outsourced Process) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R When is a new AS9102 report required for Outsourced Processing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Control of Outsourced Process - Shipping ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Company that manages Outsourced Recycling ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K NPI (New Product Introduction) Quality Plan Outsourced Manufacturer/Supplier APQP and PPAP 3
J RA (Regulatory) Requirements for Outsourced Call Centers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Need Outsourced ISO 13485/FDA Internal Auditor for a Medical Device Company Internal Auditing 3
A Outsourced Processes Control (Finished Medical Device Delivery, Storage) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
K Supplier or outsourced? Medical Device installation, sales, training Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T What is the difference between Supplier and Outsourced Process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
P Tier 2 Part Approval where Painting is Outsourced APQP and PPAP 2
D Need to include Premise of Outsourced Call Center in ISMS Surveillance Audit? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
C 7.2 Customer Related Processes - Everything we do is Outsourced ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
GStough "Outsourced Processes" in a Government Contract Service Provider Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C How to Define and Document Controls of Outsourced Processes Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
A Methods for Approval of Internal and Outsourced Manufacturing Processes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Determining what are, and are not, Outsourced Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28