Outsourcing ISO 9000 Internal Audits

K

kglennie - 2003

I have a quick question regarding internal audits, the company I am working for is having problems finding qualified people to conduct the internal audits, we spend the money on training and then it seem like they leave and leave us without an auditing team to work with....we are not a large company and we have a techincal base, I was wondering if we can hire an outside party to come in and do the internal audits so that they are more effective and we can really solve the issues that we are facing, this seems like a great way to spend money in order to find the "root cause" of the problem and solution rather than training on a source that isn't likely to stay.

I was wondering what everyone's take was on this?

Thanks Kim

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi Kim,

Yes, you kan use that option. I'm not certain that I'd recommend it as a long term solution though, since it may stop you from gaining own experience.

/Claes

S

SuRiVs

Internal Audits

I will agree that adquiering the experience and learning will be very important in the future.

I wanted to ask something in that matter too. We are a small company certifying the proccess of software projects management. We do have Software Quality Assurance auditors and process which verifies the whole development of the software (from getting the requirements until de software is tested and deliver). Is it neccesary to instruct new auditors to complaint with ISO?

Best Regards

Martin Lewit

D

David Hartman

SuRiVs said:
I will agree that adquiering the experience and learning will be very important in the future.

I wanted to ask something in that matter too. We are a small company certifying the proccess of software projects management. We do have Software Quality Assurance auditors and process which verifies the whole development of the software (from getting the requirements until de software is tested and deliver). Is it neccesary to instruct new auditors to complaint with ISO?

Best Regards

Martin Lewit
If your SQA auditors have the time, I would provide them with the training required to understand the additional requirements and let them take responsibility for your ISO audits as well. You/they may find some real similarities in what they are currently doing. :bigwave:

Using outside resources for internal auditing has some advantages. There is a better chance they will be independent, they will probably be quite skillful, auditees tend to take the audits more seriously, and you do not have to free up as many internal resources.

Now the down side. Along with what Claes has stated, add it takes some of the QMS from your system, and puts it into their system (removes ownership). It is usually a lot more expensive, unless your auditors are on the high end of the pay scale.

Randy

Super Moderator
kglennie said:
I was wondering if we can hire an outside party to come in and do the internal audits so that they are more effective and we can really solve the issues that we are facing, this seems like a great way to spend money in order to find the "root cause" of the problem and solution rather than training on a source that isn't likely to stay.

I was wondering what everyone's take was on this?

Thanks Kim
Yes you can and just to let you know...I'm a cheap date and I speak Canadian ;)

Using an outside source has become the soultion for many companies allowing them meet the requirement of the standard and doing away with some of the dynamics that may have an effect or influence during the IA process.

Randy said:
Yes you can and just to let you know...I'm a cheap date and I speak Canadian ;)

Yeah, but I'm closer and a fan of Hockey Night in Canada! Because of HNC, I can even sing the Canadian National Anthem! :bonk:

G

Greg B

Hi All,

I sometimes use the auditors from the surrounding companies. I'll go and do a process audit for them and they do one for me. We all gain experience at auditing in different situations and it gives our audits a new perspective.

Greg B

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Related Threads

http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2244
http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2279
http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2390
http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2392
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6234
http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6610
http://elsmar.com/level2/4_17.html - Ancient...

Some thorough discussions. Blasts from the past, if you will...
pimp.gif

http://www.m-w.com

One entry found for outsourcing.
Main Entry: out·sourc·ing
Function: noun
Date: 1982
: the practice of subcontracting manufacturing work to outside and especially foreign or nonunion companies

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Good Idea

Greg B said:
Hi All,

I sometimes use the auditors from the surrounding companies. I'll go and do a process audit for them and they do one for me. We all gain experience at auditing in different situations and it gives our audits a new perspective.
This is a good idea. The Cincinnati section of the ASQ has an 'audit consortium'. It's kinda weird, but it's basically a intra-company audit type of thing. It's been a long while since I investigated it, so I'm sure it has changed in some way. I'll e-mail Phil Schoner and find out what the deal is now - but it was a mix.

Some people were looking for audits to add to their log. Some were looking to learn - a couple of years ago the 'upgrade' was the biggie. About that time I went to a meeting. I was disappointed, but then again, considering my involvement in ISO for so long, I was in the déjà vu mode.

Main Entry: dé·jà vu
Pronunciation: "dA-"zhä-'vü, dA-zh[a']-v[UE]
Function: noun
Etymology: French, adjective, literally, already seen
Date: 1903
1 a : the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time
b : a feeling that one has seen or heard something before
2 : something overly or unpleasantly familiar

Heard it, discussed it, nothing new here - move on mode. There was something about a company having to have an ASQ participant in the group, but I think if you contacted them someone would be interested in doing it 'on the cheap', so to speak, or free as an individual to accumulate audit days on their log.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S ISO 45001 and outsourcing the transporation of products Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
B ISO 50001 Interpretation of section 3.3.9 (Outsourcing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T ISO 13485 for software outsourcing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G Outsourcing Processes within the Same Company (ISO 13485) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B ISO 13485 and Medical Device Manufacturing Outsourcing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna From Human Resources to Outsourcing ? ISO expands work in five areas Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
R ISO/TS 16949:2009 Clause 4.1 General Requirements (Outsourcing) Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Is this Outsourcing, as per ISO 9001:2008? Financial/Insurance sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S ISO 9001:2008 clause 4.1 Outsourcing Process control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Outsourcing ISO documentation? Consultants and Consulting 16
G Outsourcing Sales & Service of Products of an ISO 9001 Certified Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C Registered to ISO 13485 and Outsourcing some manufacturing to an ISO 9001 company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Definition Outsource - Outsourcing - Subcontracting - Definition - TS 16949 and ISO 9001 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
E "Outsourcing processes" and ISO 9001 Clause 1.2 "Application" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 10
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G QMS requirements for legal manufacturer when outsourcing manufacturing process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 25
M Supplier Management outsourcing - Business idea Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
S Outsourcing manufacturing - Who controls the suppliers of parts to the CMO? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Outsourcing and internal controls Internal Auditing 1
B Outsourcing process design (8.3.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
B Must a Design Outsourcing Company have ISO13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Microbiology Testing Outsourcing - Transport Qualification and Risk Assesssment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
J Definition Outsourcing - How Far Does it Go? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
J API Q1 9th Edition - Question on Outsourcing 5.6.1.6 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Outsourcing a Core Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Medical Device Outsourcing Batch Traceability Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
G Definition Work Transfer vs. Outsourcing Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Crusader 7.6 Calibration (referencing outsourcing) in the Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
S Outsourcing PPAP Function APQP and PPAP 8
C How to handle Outsourcing with Same Site - Separate Cert ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Y ISO9001 Implementation for Business Process Outsourcing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Outsourcing Calibration - NIST, OEM, and Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Risk Management in Outsourcing Company ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
A Outsourcing Records Storage - Compliance Aspects to be considered during Audits Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R Outsourcing of a Semi-Finished Product - Which major things to address in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Outsourcing Shipping Product directly from our Warehouse to the End Customer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Brief Survey for OEM's about Outsourcing Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
E Business Process Outsourcing - Training Plans for Employees where you deliver labour ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K What's the difference between Outsourcing and Work Transfer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J General Procedure for Outsourcing of Human Resources and Service Processes wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Extending QMS Scope to External Company Site (Outsourcing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Outsourcing part of Design & Dev Process- Still requiring D&D ver & val-7.3.5, 7.3.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Distributor Outsourcing Value Added Services - Is it work transfer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T To share and (hopefully) to hear feedback - Outsourcing to China Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
L Outsourcing Special Processes such as Plating, Painting, NDT as related to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
L Outsourcing of Quality Tests (same company but different division) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Outsourcing manufacturing of final product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Terms & Conditions done by Outsourcing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9