Outsourcing & the Control Plan (Ours and the Subcontractor's) - Links, etc.

Q

QMSQE

Hello to ALL :bigwave:

This is my first post to an Elsmar Forum, ever! I have a question... :confused:
My company outsources most of its manufacturing. All of the manufacturing subcontractors are ISO/TS16949:2002 certified, and have their own Control Plans. To meet the TS16949 requirement for a Pre-Launch Control Plan (engineering samples) which are all built at different subcons, can I just refer to the subcontractor's Control Plan in my Quality Manual and have it available to show a Registrar Auditor, or do I have to do one generic Control Plan for all samples?

Best Regards,
QMSQE :thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Your Control Plan should only reflect what you control in your process (although I have broken that "rule" occasionally :bonk: ). By that I mean, you have no control over your suppliers' processes so it just doesn't make sense that you would have an internal Control Plan attempting to "control" them (does that make sense???). I think the way to go is to have your suppliers' Control Plans as "stand alone" documents (I don't know that they need to be referenced in your QM, but maybe they do need to be).

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

QMSQE

Outsourcing & Control Plans

Thanks, Bill for responding--
I was thinking that ISO does not allow the supplier to relinquish responsibility for the quality of subcontracted product, although its true that we don't control the subs processes. Further, a Control Plan for engineering samples, might just include what we do to control them; that is requiring ISO certification, purchasing quality requirements, incoming inspection, audits, ratings, and yearly qualifications. Has anyone heard of a Control Plan like this?
Regards,
QMSQE

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
QMSQE said:
Thanks, Bill for responding--
I was thinking that ISO does not allow the supplier to relinquish responsibility for the quality of subcontracted product, although its true that we don't control the subs processes. Further, a Control Plan for engineering samples, might just include what we do to control them; that is requiring ISO certification, purchasing quality requirements, incoming inspection, audits, ratings, and yearly qualifications. Has anyone heard of a Control Plan like this?
Regards,
QMSQE
Welcome to the Cove!:bigwave:
Let me suggest that a large part of your decision and accountability is related to your input in the products made by your suppliers.

For example, no one expects you to include the manufacturing processes of standard fasteners in your control plan.

If your suppliers do ALL of the manufacturing to final product of your design which is merely labeled and reshipped to your customer, you might be responsible for the Control Plan at the supplier to assure the product meets all requirements. In which case, you could just adopt the TS16949-registered organization's Control Plan and add your own cover sheet.

If your suppliers are custom-making components and subassemblies which you finish assembling at your facility, you could probably treat them in the same way you treat suppliers of standard components. (i.e. assure product meets requirements by adopting supplier's inspection records [based on your approval of his process] and create your own Control Process for your assembly.)

Does this make sense? If not, write back and tell us more details of your situation so the guys who do TS16949 auditing can have enough information to give an opinion.

Q

QMSQE

Hi Wes--thanks for your comments :thanks:

Engineering Samples are built completely at a subcontractor, then shipped back to a company-owned facility for testing and shipment.
I hadn't heard of putting a cover sheet on a sub's Control Plan before.
Has anyone actually seen this done, that passed a Registrar Audit? I think the Control Plan should be about what we do to control things on our end.
So, in that light, a Control Plan would only cover testing and shipment, do I understand this right?

Wes Bucey

The point of putting a cover sheet on another organization's document and adopting it as your own is well-established.

Many suppliers take a customer's engineering drawing, regardless of its revision level and add a cover sheet, adopting it as their own document. When the customer changes the document to a new rev level, the supplier adopts the new rev level and upgrades its cover sheet rev level accordingly. (e.g. if customer's rev level is C at first adoption, supplier's cover sheet has no rev level. When customer moves to rev D, supplier's cover sheet moves to rev A)

When you adopt the process, you must (by implication) approve the process as viable to deliver a product according to your requirements. This is no different than approving the process worked out in your own shop if your organization made the product in-house.

When adopting another organization's process or document, it is implied you will have a documented procedure for approving the adoption.

Does this make sense or do you need more info?

Q

QMSQE

Thanks again Wes,
I understand it now, and think I will use this approach for assembly subs, and add a last sheet with the testing and shipping controls.
Some other subs do not allow their Control Plans to be sent out because they are Proprietary or Confidential, only to be viewed on-site. What do I do about that?
Regards,
QMSQE

Wes Bucey

QMSQE said:
Thanks again Wes,
I understand it now, and think I will use this approach for assembly subs, and add a last sheet with the testing and shipping controls.
Some other subs do not allow their Control Plans to be sent out because they are Proprietary or Confidential, only to be viewed on-site. What do I do about that?
Regards,
QMSQE
Are they building to your design? If yes, you have a right to know the Controls to assure their process is adequate to meet your requirements. There is a difference between a control plan and a trade secret proprietary procedure. A Control plan can easily be drawn without disclosing a trade secret. Confer with your supplier on this issue.

Example:
suppose the trade secret of a control process involves the design and use of a special automatic probe and sensor to confirm a dimension while the part is in process in a machine tool; further that the readings are recorded automatically and the machine programmed to shut down if the readings go out of spec (I used to have one of these.)

The Control plan would say:
"dimension X checked in process and readings recorded to ensure process is in Control." It doesn't have to explain the probe and sensor are secret design, nor that the process is automatic, any more than you have to write the brand name and serial number of a micrometer used to check a dimension.

Q

QMSQE

Hi Wes,
I understand your comment. However, wafer foundries do not give out their control plans (semiconductor world). They perform processes using our mask tooling; key word "processes." They are ISO16949 certified. Our control plan could include only what we control vs. what they control.
Regards,
QMSQE

A

Amir_Afaq

Amir_A

Sub-contractor or supplier's product and process have to be PPAPed by customer (you), and PFMEA + CP are essential docs for PPAPs. Therefore, unless its a process already PPAPed and requirement is waived, not sharing the process controls information will questions the APQP adherence.

Furthermore, without knowing suppliers controls, I wonder how you as customer can concur potential features for CAPA from the supplier processes. .. :confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D How does "outsourcing" get included in the FMEA and Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Outsourcing - Type of Control - Request for Interpretation on Clause 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S ISO 9001:2008 clause 4.1 Outsourcing Process control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Who is responsible for Control of Outsourcing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Outsourcing and Quality Control Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Outsourcing Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Outsourcing Processes - What is appropriate control over the outsourced operations? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 10
S ISO 45001 and outsourcing the transporation of products Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G QMS requirements for legal manufacturer when outsourcing manufacturing process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 25
B ISO 50001 Interpretation of section 3.3.9 (Outsourcing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Supplier Management outsourcing - Business idea Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
S Outsourcing manufacturing - Who controls the suppliers of parts to the CMO? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Outsourcing and internal controls Internal Auditing 1
B Outsourcing process design (8.3.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T ISO 13485 for software outsourcing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G Outsourcing Processes within the Same Company (ISO 13485) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
B Must a Design Outsourcing Company have ISO13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Microbiology Testing Outsourcing - Transport Qualification and Risk Assesssment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
J Definition Outsourcing - How Far Does it Go? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
J API Q1 9th Edition - Question on Outsourcing 5.6.1.6 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Outsourcing a Core Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Medical Device Outsourcing Batch Traceability Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
G Definition Work Transfer vs. Outsourcing Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Crusader 7.6 Calibration (referencing outsourcing) in the Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
S Outsourcing PPAP Function APQP and PPAP 8
C How to handle Outsourcing with Same Site - Separate Cert ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Y ISO9001 Implementation for Business Process Outsourcing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Outsourcing Calibration - NIST, OEM, and Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Risk Management in Outsourcing Company ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
A Outsourcing Records Storage - Compliance Aspects to be considered during Audits Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R Outsourcing of a Semi-Finished Product - Which major things to address in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Outsourcing Shipping Product directly from our Warehouse to the End Customer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Brief Survey for OEM's about Outsourcing Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
E Business Process Outsourcing - Training Plans for Employees where you deliver labour ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B ISO 13485 and Medical Device Manufacturing Outsourcing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K What's the difference between Outsourcing and Work Transfer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J General Procedure for Outsourcing of Human Resources and Service Processes wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Extending QMS Scope to External Company Site (Outsourcing) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna From Human Resources to Outsourcing ? ISO expands work in five areas Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
O Outsourcing part of Design & Dev Process- Still requiring D&D ver & val-7.3.5, 7.3.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Distributor Outsourcing Value Added Services - Is it work transfer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T To share and (hopefully) to hear feedback - Outsourcing to China Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
R ISO/TS 16949:2009 Clause 4.1 General Requirements (Outsourcing) Clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L Outsourcing Special Processes such as Plating, Painting, NDT as related to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
L Outsourcing of Quality Tests (same company but different division) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Outsourcing manufacturing of final product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Terms & Conditions done by Outsourcing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9