Overall Equipment Effectiveness of Efficiency

B

blue moon

Overall Equipment effectiveness of efficiency

effectiveness is doing the right thing

and

efficiency is doing the things in right way and for this to calculate the efficiency regarding to value and time = Value/time

where OEE mean Overall Equipment effectiveness = Avilability * performance rate * quality rate

and so i think it will be more better if we say Overall equipment efficiency because Performance rate contain ( Production time and cycle time)

i hope to get explain

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
The terms efficient and effective are not interchangeable, but they are closely related.

A machine's efficiency is its performance against its own potential. Its impact on a process, or its functional contribution to an outcome is expressed in terms of effectiveness.

For example: My home's heating system's efficiency is its ability to burn its fuel with the maximum consumption of fuel and oxygen, and minimum of excess carbon emission. I would consider this the unit's quality rate; its performance against ideal.

However, if it is too small this same heating unit, even when operating at perfect efficiency, would not effectively warm my home because it is not the appropriate design, size or type for the need. This measurement against value is not always dependent on the machine's efficiency, though it certainly can be.

I hope this helps.

D

DrM2u

Overall Equipment effectiveness of efficiency

effectiveness is doing the right thing

and

efficiency is doing the things in right way and for this to calculate the efficiency regarding to value and time = Value/time

where OEE mean Overall Equipment effectiveness = Avilability * performance rate * quality rate

and so i think it will be more better if we say Overall equipment efficiency because Performance rate contain ( Production time and cycle time)

i hope to get explain
Here are the definitions for Efficiency and Effectiveness derived from the Webster's Disctionary:

EFFICIENT: being productive of desired effects without waste; therefore EFFICIENCY is the measurement of the ability to produce something with the minimal waste (time, material, energy, etc). In Jennifer's example, how much heat does the heater generate for the energy used.

EFFECTIVE: stresses the actual production of or the power to produce an effect; therefore EFFECTIVENESS is the measure of the ability to be effective. In Jennifer's example, is the heater able to heat my house.

When we are talking about production equipment, the two terms translate to 'is my equipment capable of producing good parts using the least amount of material/energy/time/etc' and 'is my equipment capable of producing enough parts to meet my CUSTOMER's demands'. The equipment efficiency can be quantified in multiple ways (i.e. cycle time, scrap rate, etc). I like to quantify the effectiveness in terms of impact on customers (i.e. am I able to ship the correct amount of product in time). In other words, I don't care too much if the equipment sits idle or not as long as I meet my contractual agreements.

Any additional thoughts on this?

Top Bottom