Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
Hello,
We are having an issue with oversized threads and since there are 20 per part thread gages take too long, What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes.
Size is M5 x .8

Thank You,

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
You can't check the size of a thread with a pin gage. That would only validate minor diameter. The thread gage validates pitch diameter. That's mixing apples and oranges. The only thing you might infer with a pin gage is % thread (but only very loosely). Are all 20 features tapped with the same tool? If so, only check the last one machined.

What type of tap are you using (is it cutting or rolling the threads)? I would focus more on why are you making oversized threads than detecting them. We tap holes all day without being oversized.

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
You can't check the size of a thread with a pin gage. That would only validate minor diameter. The thread gage validates pitch diameter. That's mixing apples and oranges. The only thing you might infer with a pin gage is % thread (but only very loosely). Are all 20 features tapped with the same tool? If so, only check the last one machined.

What type of tap are you using (is it cutting or rolling the threads)? I would focus more on why are you making oversized threads than detecting them. We tap holes all day without being oversized.

They are actually studs we get from a supplier, and We have been having issues with them making the threads WAY oversized. We can have 1,000 good ones, Then one thats so large you can literally stick the bolt straight down into it without turning. So I just want a way to quickly verify. Not all the bad ones have been that oversized though, Most of the bad ones seem to be just slightly oversized, You can feel it when inserting the bolt, Its very loose and won't torque at all.

So how they are made or with the same tooling, I'm not sure of yet. Still waiting on info, Just trying to find a way to keep them from having to torque test every single hole.

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
What is your supplier saying about this? From what I know about fasteners, this is not a common occurrence. Do you have a thread gage that matches what the stud is supposed to be produced to? If this is truly a supplier issue, they would need to be put on 100% inspection before they ship to your facility.

Good luck!

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
What is your supplier saying about this? From what I know about fasteners, this is not a common occurrence. Do you have a thread gage that matches what the stud is supposed to be produced to? If this is truly a supplier issue, they would need to be put on 100% inspection before they ship to your facility.

Good luck!

We do have a thread gage, I was just hoping for something faster for the guys sorting in house. Supplier is sorting 100% also and since we are still finding them and customer is screaming for parts, We have to keep sorting in house.

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
I see, tough one. I don't know of any easier method. We have sorted and checked studs for weeks as part of our early containment so I can feel the pain.

Would you happen to have a vision system or optical comparator available to you? If the studs haven't been installed, you could make a template for the comparator and place a stud and check the shadow against the template. A vision system would be better if you had one available and could be programmed quickly.

Top Bottom