Overwhelmed starting a new aviation related business

N

Newcomer1

Folks please be patient with me! I will try my best to make a long story short. I am a newly retired from the private aviation business. I used to be pilot, safety pilot, chief pilot then the last 10 years was in different management positions within the aviation industry.
Out of boredom but unfortunately not out of necessity, I started an LLC and registered with the Fed database as aircraft parts & accessories suppliers among a few other things.

My problem is that I am overwhelmed!:confused:
I am working from home for now but I?ve been asked if and when will I be ISO 9001:2008, AS9100 certified and whether I can perform First Article Test (AS9102, I believe).

I don?t know now whether I need a hanger with all the testing machines and operated by experts or only paperwork is all I need.

I am still learning the new business and hopefully with the help from this forum, Google search and finally professionals, will get right!:cfingers:

Thank you,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

You are in good hands. However, in order to provide meaningful input we will need specifics that we can draw upon requirements in applicable standards for answers. I have some questions to get the conversation started.

1) Will you be manufacturing aircraft parts, or reselling them?

2) Will you be supplier to government? What are your target markets?

3) Will you be offering any service (beyond warranty) for what you sell?

4) Will you involve any customer supplied equipment or specifications?

5) Will you be hiring anyone with any involvement in product or service directly supplied to the customers? If so, what are the positions?

This should get us started. I am sure there will be more questions along the way. :agree1:

N

Newcomer1

Welcome to the Cove!

You are in good hands. However, in order to provide meaningful input we will need specifics that we can draw upon requirements in applicable standards for answers. I have some questions to get the conversation started.

1) Will you be manufacturing aircraft parts, or reselling them? Will be reselling them

2) Will you be supplier to government? What are your target markets? Yes, End-user will be the government

3) Will you be offering any service (beyond warranty) for what you sell? No plan for that yet.

4) Will you involve any customer supplied equipment or specifications? Not beyond the specs that are needed by the Gov

5) Will you be hiring anyone with any involvement in product or service directly supplied to the customers? If so, what are the positions? Not at this time.

This should get us started. I am sure there will be more questions along the way. :agree1:
Comments in blue above, thanks for your reply,

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Okay, so we can start with your contracts, government or otherwise. Do they stipulate registration to any standards?

As a reseller, AS 9120 applies. For what it's worth, I found online links to quality manuals from Aerospace Specification Metals, Inc. and ASC Industries.

Here is also Boeing Quality Management System Requirements for Suppliers - caution, this may be an old link, I saw it dated at 2009.

Again, we start with contracted requirements and whatever specification they cite - are there any ASTM etc. specifications involved? I understand the Mil-STDs of old are being replaced by industry standards.

N

Newcomer1

Appreciate the info and I will investigate further. Some of the parts that the government soliciting need to be inspected. Such as First Article Test should be performed by supplier(s).
Where I got that inquiry about ISO 9001 and AS9100? or could be AS9120 is from a major company that works in the aerospace industry and I was presenting the capability trying to get some sub-contract with that particular co. I met the representative at a business meeting and I was asked if I have these certifications.

Thank you,

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Appreciate the info and I will investigate further. Some of the parts that the government soliciting need to be inspected. Such as First Article Test should be performed by supplier(s).
Where I got that inquiry about ISO 9001 and AS9100? or could be AS9120 is from a major company that works in the aerospace industry and I was presenting the capability trying to get some sub-contract with that particular co. I met the representative at a business meeting and I was asked if I have these certifications.

Thank you,
Sometimes, definitions of suppliers and dealers get confused with manufacturers. In most usage, ONLY manufacturers are required to conduct a First Article Inspection (FAI). If you are supplying off-the-shelf products from manufacturers, that's been done by them. It is hardly ever a requirement to request or require a copy of the FAI for an off-the-shelf item, BUT it may require a copy of the FAA approval for that particular manufacturer to make it. If you are contracting with manufacturers to make "custom" parts to specifications from you or your customers, THEN you might require that manufacturer to supply an FAI.

Welcome to the world of business! It can seem overwhelming, but it really is like "eating a whole elephant" - one bite at a time! Don't panic. If push comes to shove, the SBA (Small Business Administration) can steer you to an appropriate member of the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) to help you out.

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Wes makes good points. :agree: I am not familiar enough with the AS 9120 standard to know details about who is responsible for which inspection and at what point. I do expect a government contract to include requirements like inspection. Have you had a chance to review any contract solicitations yet?

At this early stage I do not want to rush forward into an AS 9120 certification (is it really required?) but AS9120.info has some guidance. I am not affiliated with the site's owner, Electronic Supply Chain Solutions, Inc. Buyer beware! There are shady outfits who claim to certify a company without a visit and are not accredited with industry accepted bodies. If you ask, we may be able to help you steer clear of them.

If you need in-person help there may be a Cover in your area who can assist. I agree with the SCORE idea, and your state's Department of Labor may have additional help available.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Folks please be patient with me! I will try my best to make a long story short. <snip>
Each one of the suggestions given are excellent...

I wish I had such excellent guiidance when I started.

Anyway to your excellent situation... Not sure where you are located but a good source to talk to is (This is not an endorsement or a selling a company) NIST - they are located in every state in USA not sure if you are located in USA or another country. NIST is usually affiliated with local organizations and they are a great asset.

As far as registering for AS9120 (which you do qualify) and FAIR per AS9120 - the company that is manufacturing the product should be able to provide that for you or you could contract that out to a qualified individual to do so... there are a lot of seasoned veterans in the field that would love to see you succeed.

Let us know if you need additional information.

Welcome...:applause:

Folks please be patient with me! I will try my best to make a long story short. I am a newly retired from the private aviation business. I used to be pilot, safety pilot, chief pilot then the last 10 years was in different management positions within the aviation industry.
Out of boredom but unfortunately not out of necessity, I started an LLC and registered with the Fed database as aircraft parts & accessories suppliers among a few other things.

My problem is that I am overwhelmed!:confused:
I am working from home for now but I?ve been asked if and when will I be ISO 9001:2008, AS9100 certified and whether I can perform First Article Test (AS9102, I believe).

I don?t know now whether I need a hanger with all the testing machines and operated by experts or only paperwork is all I need.

I am still learning the new business and hopefully with the help from this forum, Google search and finally professionals, will get right!:cfingers:

Thank you,
You have had excellent advice. I wish to comment only on a couple of topics. First is about First Article. AS9100 requires that you do first article inspection on a representative sample of the first production run. What is required in AS9100 is not as deeply detailed as what is required in AS9102. Make sure you are aware of what your customer is asking for. If they are after first article per AS9100, you don't need to jump in with the rest of what AS9102 requires.

I agree with others that AS9120 is probably the standard you want to pursue as an aerospace distributorship. You should be aware the first article is excluded from AS9120. If a customer wants first article, since you are not the manufacturer, you will probably need to seek it from the manufacturer.

May I suggest you get a copy of AS9120A (the current version) and become familiar with it. It would not hurt to get a copy of AS9100C as well for comparison. Distributorships can seek registration to either standard, but it seldom makes sense to go after AS9100.

N

Newcomer1

Thank you all for the excellent advices/comments. Yes the company is registered in the US and seeking to supply aircraft parts to the US government such as DLA, Navy and Air force.

I remember a couple months ago that DLA wanted a quantity of 400 of xyz that should be shipped to them within 260 days after the contract was signed. Then they required a separate quote for the First Article Test (qyt.=1) within 90 days.

The manufacturer gave a quote for 401 and informed me that I should perform the test in our facility. That when I realized things are not as easy as I thought. I spoke with one supplier about FAT and she told me," we outsource it" and she sells only parts from 2 particular companies.

I am going to seek some help from the organizations that you guys provided and I believe that more study and investigation are needed before submitting any bid to the Gov.

Thank you all for the support and I am sure that I will be back asking questions :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Q Last work week due to immigration process, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Immigration and Expatriate Topics 7
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
L ISO 13485 - Overwhelmed by various Medical Device standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Overwhelmed, no help from Production - Plant manager is pushing everything on to me Career and Occupation Discussions 17
D Overwhelmed, next audit around the corner - Responding to Nonconformances Identified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
G Our employees are overwhelmed by ISO 9000 requirements - Is Training the Answer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
GStough Suppliers Starting to Charge A Fee for Customer Audits Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
R Starting an automotive containment business Service Industry Specific Topics 3
H Starting my own 3rd party inspection company Service Industry Specific Topics 6
qualprod Setup time only at starting production? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
J Starting a Weibull Analysis: Source on how to perform Weibull Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Marc Goldsmiths University will take beef products off the menu starting in September 2019 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 19
J Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
supadrai ISO 27000 - Starting from Scratch for a Smallish Law Firm IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C I'm starting my Career in Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Starting from the factory floor get any respect? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
C FMEA Starting point FMEA and Control Plans 7
L Starting an Internal Audit - Help with the basics Internal Auditing 12
M Contract Manufacturer 510K Starting Point 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
L Hand-starting threaded fasteners Benchmarking 3
D Just starting out looking to get into a quality engineer position Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Starting a Quality Department from Scratch and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
M Starting out toward compliance Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B Starting a small boutique and looking for business ideas Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M Starting ISO 17025 Accreditation from scratch - Petroleum Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
O Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Jen Kirley Starting Something New Career and Occupation Discussions 104
bobdoering Finally, evidence that people are starting to care about Apple computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
M Implementing a Quality System - Just starting out..... in over my head. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
E Starting Nadcap Accreditation and making an Implementation Timeline AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F Starting a Quality Control Program and writing a Quality Control Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
T Document Control Revision - Starting Over Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q How raise en ECO starting from a NC - ECO after NCR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Template for starting up new manufacturing facility in our company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Starting Supplier Management System in a Company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
K Starting a new Calibration and Repair Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
B Starting a business in Dubai Career and Occupation Discussions 1
B Implementing APQP - Starting a fresh.... APQP and PPAP 6
R ANSI Z1.9 AQL 0.4 - What are the starting equipment expectations? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K Starting an ISO 17025 Accredited Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
M Petrol (Gasoline) Prices Around the World - Part Trois Starting January 2011 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
C Starting an MSA study - How to decide which is appropriate or required Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Starting In-Process Quality Inspection in the Production Shopfloor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
Ajit Basrur Starting Sustainability Initiatives in our Organization Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 15
C Rebuilding the QMS - What is a good starting point? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
Z Long Term Measurement Logging for Machine Shop - Starting with a clean slate Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3