Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection

My company is supplier of electronics part for audio system used in vehicle for various manufacturer. Our product consists of plastic part and PCB. We just obtained our IATF16949 accreditation about 2 years ago.

We have control plan in place for each product/model run in our production line. As required by IATF, all measurement need MSA study. We have problem to choose which process is actual need cross-tab study(MSA for attribute data).

For example, for assembly process of plastic housing, operator need to evaluate their work at the end of the process so we considered the evaluation as one of measurement, so we decided to do cross tab for the operator. 50pcs sample by 3 appraisals. We keep doing but end up with all processes need cross tab evaluation. It is overwhelmed the staff and took most of the time. We do not know whether this is correct practice or not.

Need advice from one who has experience with this kind of situation on how to effectively tackle MSA in production floor.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bkirch

Involved In Discussions
We have gone through many third party audits and have never been asked to supply an MSA for visual inspection. I also just reviewed the standard to see what it stated about MSA's and clause 7.5.1.1 "Statistical studies shall be conducted to analyze the variation present in the results of each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified in the control plan............................." The word that pops out to me is "equipment". Yes, visual inspection is a measurement method, but I would not call someones eyes or ears a form of inspection, measurement, or test equipment.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
‘Self inspection’ really shouldn’t require an MSA as it is a normal part of the process for each operator. I’ve never seen an auditor (who knows what they are doing) ask for an MSA on this. Usually it falls under training and effectiveness for the operators performing the process...

We have gone through many third party audits and have never been asked to supply an MSA for visual inspection. I also just reviewed the standard to see what it stated about MSA's and clause 7.5.1.1 "Statistical studies shall be conducted to analyze the variation present in the results of each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified in the control plan............................." The word that pops out to me is "equipment". Yes, visual inspection is a measurement method, but I would not call someones eyes or ears a form of inspection, measurement, or test equipment.
Agree with you. But, in last IATF audit we were asked about MSA list. In the list we did not include MSA(cross-tab) study result for visual inspection in production line. We received comment from auditor that that was not follow clause IATF 7.1.5.1.1. We were given recommendation to conduct the study on annual basis.

‘Self inspection’ really shouldn’t require an MSA as it is a normal part of the process for each operator. I’ve never seen an auditor (who knows what they are doing) ask for an MSA on this. Usually it falls under training and effectiveness for the operators performing the process...
Thank you for your reply. If we refer to clause IATF16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis

Statistical studies shall be conducted to analyse the variation present in the results of each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified in the control plan.

From my understanding, MSA are needed wherever inspection, measurement, and test equipment list/mention in control plan. I do not know whether my understanding has stand in this matter.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
The wording of the standard is a little ambiguous, and you can (sort of) choose how to interpret the clause 'each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system'.
If you forget about the requirements of IATF for a moment (oh the horror), and think about the benefits to yourself, then it is fairly evident that understanding the effectiveness of your measurement system (visual inspection) is important. I would suggest doing the GRR study on the process step (with visual inspection) that generates the MOST rejects, and also on the step which generates the LEAST rejects. Compare the effectiveness of your measurement system against itself.
Once you have completed this with the appropriate documentation (and taken any actions determined to be necessary) you have covered a 'family' of gauges (operators eyes). If the process or product changes, you need to re-evaluate the study, but not necessarily repeat it. Again, document this evaluation. That way you have evidence to present to your auditor.

The wording of the standard is a little ambiguous, and you can (sort of) choose how to interpret the clause 'each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system'.
If you forget about the requirements of IATF for a moment (oh the horror), and think about the benefits to yourself, then it is fairly evident that understanding the effectiveness of your measurement system (visual inspection) is important. I would suggest doing the GRR study on the process step (with visual inspection) that generates the MOST rejects, and also on the step which generates the LEAST rejects. Compare the effectiveness of your measurement system against itself.
Once you have completed this with the appropriate documentation (and taken any actions determined to be necessary) you have covered a 'family' of gauges (operators eyes). If the process or product changes, you need to re-evaluate the study, but not necessarily repeat it. Again, document this evaluation. That way you have evidence to present to your auditor.
Thank you very much for your advise. I will try to implement in our company.

The visual MSA, Attribute GRR, however you perform the validation, is really a test for how well your visual inspection training is being applied to your product for customer protection from alpha and beta errors. Do the visual inspectors agree with themselves during inspection of seeded parts (10 parts perhaps) over 3 trials, and then do multiple inspectors of the same seeded population agree with each other at some designated acceptance rate.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
If the OP is really talking about ‘self inspection’ no MSA is required. Self inspection is just a quick check by you that you did what you are supposed to OR what the guy before you was supposed to do. You are supposed to to install the green bolt did you install the green bolt? It is a lean or Toyota Production System thing. It is not QC release testing or In-process SPC measurements.
If they are talking about the last two then they need to clarify that

Ashland78

Involved In Discussions
We had gotten same finding before. If on control plan you have visual inspection you do need MSA. You can have 3 known bad parts, 7 known good ones and randomly have 3 people measure 3 times randomly. It is too show this is capable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Overwhelmed starting a new aviation related business AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
Q Last work week due to immigration process, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Immigration and Expatriate Topics 7
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
L ISO 13485 - Overwhelmed by various Medical Device standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Overwhelmed, no help from Production - Plant manager is pushing everything on to me Career and Occupation Discussions 17
D Overwhelmed, next audit around the corner - Responding to Nonconformances Identified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
G Our employees are overwhelmed by ISO 9000 requirements - Is Training the Answer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Question: How to analyze numerical and attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
A Attribute , for example C chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
H Need MSA 4th ed. compliant attribute MSA template General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Attribute Analysis for colour matching scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 24
K IATF & Attribute Study requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Applying Weibayes to Attribute sampling Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Easy Software Needed for Recording Mainly Attribute Data Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Attribute Gage R&R study according to "Charbonneau" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Can a Attribute Study be considered a Visual Inspection? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Gage Blocks: Attribute or Variable Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Attribute vs Variable Inspection Data ISO 13485 Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Calibration of a Width Gage Slot with an Attribute Gage - Maximum Width Condition General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
R Visual Attribute Inspector Capability and KAPPA Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D attribute gage RR in a unique way Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P RQL/AQL from Attribute Data Six Sigma 1
M Population failure rate based on attribute data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Minitab - Attribute Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Attribute G&R for all Visual Controls in Control Plan Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Attribute Test Method Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F MSA - Measurement System Analysis Attribute Data Crosstab sheet APQP and PPAP 1
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Attribute Inspection P Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Chennaiite Do Attribute Control Charts really help? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S Visual Inspection Galvanized Attribute Study Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
N Example of how to perform a Visual Attribute Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K MINITAB 16 - Attribute gage study (Analytic method) and Gage R&R Study (Expanded) Using Minitab Software 2
J Minimum number of parts to do an attribute gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Reliability of an Attribute Inspection based on Historical Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
S Cross Tab Attribute Gauge Study form Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
V MSA Attribute Data Analysis Study IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Minimum Number of Parts for Attribute (Go / NoGo) Data Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Attribute MSA - Number of samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1