p charts - My experience with P charting has not been good

D
I have been told in the area where I reside NOBODY uses these charts for any benefits. I am only starting to look into attribute control charting and I think there would be alot of benefit in using them. In my opinion it would help awareness issues immensely.Can anyone give me some feedback?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Batman

My experience with P charting has not been good. The first hurdle is that you are charting defects. If there are only one or two of these going on, and there is visible activity to "fix" the process, it should not be a problem. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago we had more than a couple of these charts, which the engineers were using in weekly meetings to demonstrate "sameness" in their areas of responsiblity. What was lost on them was the operators reporting the percent defective began to get used to defects being OK, and some took this to other departments after they bid or were transferred. It became a pervasive problem. Our customers do not stand for defects, and we had already set up 100% inspection for these parts to protect the customer. I could get information just as quickly from the inspector's time cards each day.
Prior to QS9000 implementation, I recall two instances where customer auditors found P charts more than 5 months old, and they obviously looked for corrective action. All they saw was 100% inspection.

I can certainly see benefits for utilizing P charts, but I am tentative when someone wants to use one for more than a couple of days or weeks.
BTW, we are high volume component and assembly supplier to Ford, GM, Japan.

D

Don Winton

Dawn,

What I like about p charts is they give a snapshot of your process control, process capability AND your process yield in one chart. I have used these successfully in many applications. One word of caution: Any chart, regardless of type, is only useful if used as a continuous improvement tool. Too often, however, they are just used as wallpaper, IMHO.

I have been told in the area where I reside NOBODY uses these charts for any benefits.
I believe the reason that attribute charts get a bum rap is becuase they are not as straightforward to calculate and interpret as the typical Xbar-R charts. IMHO, if NOBODY is using them, that may be because they do not understand them.

In my opinion it would help awareness issues immensely.
Agreed. Go for it.

Regards,
Don

D

Don Winton

If there are only one or two of these going on, and there is visible activity to "fix" the process, it should not be a problem.
Agreed. It serves no purpose to maintain a p chart (or any other chart for that matter) without trying to improve upon the current process.

... which the engineers were using in weekly meetings to demonstrate "sameness" in their areas of responsibility. What was lost on them was the operators reporting the percent defective began to get used to defects being OK...
Goes back to my point about so much wallpaper. There must be positive proaction to attribute charts when they are used else they are useless. Demonstrating “sameness” is just plain WRONG and, IMHO, stupid.

Certainly there are acceptable alternatives to attribute charting to continuously improve. I like the attribute chart for the reasons I cited in my first post.

Regards,
Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Recommendation about h and k values when CUSUM charts are used Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Standard Deviation Selection on Control Charts - Minitab "pooled deviation" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
F EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Conformity Charts - IFU Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M PPAP Metrics that visually displays the progress through charts and/or graphs APQP and PPAP 7
N Injection Molding - Median individual control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
B How to decide on a sampling size for Xbar-R charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
Chennaiite Do Attribute Control Charts really help? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M How to document approval of Organization Charts Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
B Setting Lower Control Limit on Attributes Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Interpreting X bar and R Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M What is the difference between X Bar - R Charts and Average Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Large Sample Size - up to 32 - for Control Charts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
T Is the use of Control Charts Mandatory or Optional? ISO 17025 Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
E Minitab for hourly patient census - Control Charts Using Minitab Software 6
M Degrees of freedom for XmR charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
J Using P-Charts for Glass Manufacturing to Monitor and Control Attributes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M On Subgroups in Control Charts and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G Cpk, Subgrouping, and Can Attribute Charts Monitor Ongoing? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Do all non-random patterns apply to attributes and variable charts including R chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
J Quality Clinic Process Charts Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
J Are SPC Charts Controlled Documents according to TS 16949? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
P Determination of Subgroup Size for P Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Are P-charts for a Particular Defect or can Different Defects be counted in one? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Web based Database to Collect and Evaluate 5S Audit Results, Trends, Charts Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
D Internal Audits ? Are Departmental Organizational Charts Required? Internal Auditing 2
G When are Flow Charts necessary or required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T How Can I Change the Date Range on Charts in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
S Help with Table of Constants and Formulas for Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Q Monthly Data Review through Control Charts - Monitoring Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Feedback Charts for Raw Material QC Laboratory Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
R "Control" as used in 4.1 c) - Process Flow Charts (Process Sequence Chart) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
W QOS (Quality of Service) Charts examples requested. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
D Suitability of Attribute Control Charts for ppm Level Control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
R Metrology Control Charts for Reference and Working Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Q Manipulating each Axis in Excel Charts (Graphs) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
D One-Two-Three Sigma Control Limits - Calculating Control Limits for X-bar Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Are P-Charts OK to use for LOW failure rates? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler article: What About p-Charts? - When should we use the specialty charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S My Spread Calcs/Results for Xbar R Charts not Matching Minitab's Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler: Myths About Process Behavior Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Organization Charts in AS9100 Quality Systems Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 17
B Calibration Interval of Munsell Color Charts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Medical Device Regulatory Charts for Brazil and Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
bobdoering Myth or Mythunderstanding: Implications of the Economic Design of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1