?Pa? Capability Index - Has anyone ever heard of this?

debun

Starting to get Involved
I got a spread sheet from a vendor where they calculated a capability in excel called ?Pa? I know of Pp and Cp but I have never heard of Pa. The excel formula calculated it using the absolute value of ? - center value = (USL+LSL)/2 divided by 3σ so in summary ?-center value / 3σ. Anyone ever heard of this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: ?Pa? capability index, has anyone ever heard of this?

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!

T

t.PoN

I always thought capability index is used only for normal distribution.
which means: Center Value = μ!

One possible interpretation is the Probability of Acceptance! but still the formula doesn't add up :(

Last edited by a moderator:

debun

Starting to get Involved
I always thought capability index is used only for normal distribution.
which means: Center Value = μ!

One possible interpretation is the Probability of Acceptance! but still the formula doesn't add up :(
I don't think I was very clear

center value = (USL+LSL)/2
μ = mean of the population or in this case sample mean

Pa = (?-center value )/3σ

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've not heard of it - but then I tend to disregard any literature on the capability indices.

The math is simple, but I'm not really sure of it's value: the formula just results in a ratio of the distance of the mean of the process from the center of the specification to the spread of the individual values. without a comparison to the specifications there is no way to know if the process is 'good' or 'bad'.

Did they provide you with any 'acceptable number?

Or is this just an interim calculation that is used in another formula?

debun

Starting to get Involved
I've not heard of it - but then I tend to disregard any literature on the capability indices.

The math is simple, but I'm not really sure of it's value: the formula just results in a ratio of the distance of the mean of the process from the center of the specification to the spread of the individual values. without a comparison to the specifications there is no way to know if the process is 'good' or 'bad'.

Did they provide you with any 'acceptable number?

Or is this just an interim calculation that is used in another formula?
They just have a cell called "Pa" with Chinese 準確度 which according to Google translate means accuracy. It is not used in any other calculations and no acceptance criteria for the value.

They have the same Chinese characters for the "Pp" cell, but of course the formula is different.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
optomist1 Converting Defect Rate To Capability index Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
S Auto-Correlated Data and Capability Index Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Cpkm capability index: Make sense when the target is the lower tolerance limit? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Heat treatment inspection and Process capability index Cpk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Capability Index for Furnaces - CQI-9 Assessment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R How to measure Machine Capability index Cpm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
G What does a Process Capability Index of greater than 1 suggest? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S What Capability Index should I use? SMT Application Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
C Composite Process Capability Index - Cpk is not additive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q Confused about the machine capability index Cmk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Acceptance criteria for Cmk (machine capability index) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P What does TCI mean? Test Capability Index = USL-LSL/6*sigma of the test only Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Cmk is defined as a Capability Index for a Stable Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
C Capability index for one-sided specification? Cpk(max) = (USL-Xbar)/3*s ?? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
A Unilateral Tolerance Capability - Shaft Runout - Which capability index to use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Atul Khandekar What is Cgk? (Index of Testing Means Capability) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Are Capability Requirement(s) Valid for All Characteristics? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M CAAC-145 Manuals - Looking for examples of MOM's, MMM's Capability Lists, etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 13