Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible?

krapow

Starting to get Involved
We recently sent out 10 aluminum blocks for blank anodize. Basically they are rectangular blocks with 2 dovetail shaped "slide ways" on each piece.
Once returned to us, 3 pieces had gouges on the dovetail "slide ways". I sent a corrective action to our anodize supplier reading... Dovetail “slide ways” damaged (gouged & dented). Poor handling / protection.

The response to our corrective action was this: "Special packaging was not provided by customer & Supplemental packaging not provided to adequately protect critical surfaces"

Responsibility here is who's exactly? Does "Special" & "Supplemental Packaging" trump common sense when packaging machined aluminum parts for a customer? The company doing the Anodizing has been in business for over 70 years so I would think they would have run into this situation before.

Your thoughts will be most welcome on this one thanks!

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Just out of curiosity, do you have any way to determine whether they actually received the parts undamaged?

If not, responsibility can not be determined.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
The best way to approach this initially (given the present information) would have been to contact the anodizer with photos of the damage and simply ask what happened. Putting them in a defensive position from the start was probably not a good idea. We can't see your packaging, or the supplier's, so it's tough to say where the blame might lie. You should still ask the supplier what caused the damage.

krapow

Starting to get Involved
Our anodize supplier did not report any damaged parts as rec'd (they ARE ISO certified).
Didn't mean to put anyone in a defensive position, just providing the facts as best I can.
If damage occurred from us to them why didn't they re[port it to us after receiving them?
Are we responsible for providing "special packaging" for an anodizer with 70 years of experience?
Attached picture of damage.

Attachments

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Our anodize supplier did not report any damaged parts as rec'd (they ARE ISO certified).
The damage happened after anodizing, so they wouldn't have anything to report as far as the incoming material was concerned.
Didn't mean to put anyone in a defensive position, just providing the facts as best I can.
You can provide the facts without using a CA request.
If damage occurred from us to them why didn't they report it to us after receiving them?
As noted, the damage clearly happened after anodizing.
Are we responsible for providing "special packaging" for an anodizer with 70 years of experience?
Attached picture of damage.
The only question left is how the parts were packaged by the anodizer and whether the damage occurred prior to packaging or in shipment. Was there corresponding damage to the packaging? Was the supplier's packaging adequate to prevent damage in shipping?

krapow

Starting to get Involved
The damage happened after anodizing, so they wouldn't have anything to report as far as the incoming material was concerned.

You can provide the facts without using a CA request.

As noted, the damage clearly happened after anodizing.

The only question left is how the parts were packaged by the anodizer and whether the damage occurred prior to packaging or in shipment. Was there corresponding damage to the packaging? Was the supplier's packaging adequate to prevent damage in shipping?
No, neither the box or wrapping paper showed corresponding damage. Wish I would've taken a picture of both of those (box & wrapping paper). Contents seemed to be adequately separated. Damage could only have occurred AFTER anodize and BEFORE packaging as the gouged areas are bright (see pic). My fault for not better checking AND recording any packaging damage.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
No, neither the box or wrapping paper showed corresponding damage. Wish I would've taken a picture of both of those (box & wrapping paper). Contents seemed to be adequately separated. Damage could only have occurred AFTER anodize and BEFORE packaging as the gouged areas are bright (see pic). My fault for not better checking AND recording any packaging damage.
Now you know how to respond to the anodizer.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
(they ARE ISO certified)
ISO what? ISO 9001? ISO 13485? So what does that mean to you? What are your expectations of an "ISO <whatever ISO standard"> company? Please be specific.

If damage occurred from us to them why didn't they re[port it to us after receiving them?
Have you reviewed their receiving inspection procedure and/or anything you specified for them to inspect on receipt? This should have been done at the contract stage if it wasn't.

The reason I responded in this conversation is because I have been involved in scenarios where external service suppliers received damaged parts to process but the customer had not provided sufficient (in some cases any) receiving instructions to the supplier. In short, the supplier had nothing to "inspect" the received parts to.

In addition, if you shipped in disposable containers/packaging and expected them to provide return shipping packaging materials and containers, if you had not made any specific requirements you can chalk up a learning experience because you can bet their shipping will be "best effort".

Damage could only have occurred AFTER anodize and BEFORE packaging as the gouged areas are bright (see pic).
Personally I would have reviewed their process prior to letting the contract. For example, a review of their holding fixtures as to whether their fixtures were appropriate for your part.

I'm not placing blame - I'm just giving some "food for thought". From the picture I would hazard a guess that they have a handling issue, but of course poor shipping materials and containers could produce such damage during transit.

Does "Special" & "Supplemental Packaging" trump common sense when packaging machined aluminum parts for a customer?
Yes, in my opinion.

How long they have been in business is irrelevant. To them they received aluminum blocks. They didn't know of any special handling requirements or possible damage due to shipping. To me, this is on your company. You have delicate parts and need to ensure proper handling and packaging.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
How long they have been in business is irrelevant. To them they received aluminum blocks. They didn't know of any special handling requirements or possible damage due to shipping. To me, this is on your company. You have delicate parts and need to ensure proper handling and packaging.
If the parts were packaged after being damaged, I disagree.

Top Bottom