Paint Color Control

R

Richard

Hello,
I am a supplier quality engineer working for a medical device company. We are currently very close to launch some new products. The design team intends to assign a tolerance on product color to as per customer?s requirements. A CIE color spec with a 0.5 delta E will be used instead of the current subjective visual inspection with color chips. I appreciate if some one can share some experience in painting process. My questions are:
1. Is 0.5 delta E a tight tolerance for a normal painting process? What are the typical process variations which can affect the color process stability?
2. How is painting process controlled? Is Spectrophotometer used and how often should color be checked? I understand the color measurement can be tricky based on some other relevant threads on this board. Can anyone share process control plan or documents? Is SPC used?
Hope you could help.
Thanks.
Richard

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello Richard.
I've dealt with color both in pharmaceutical labeling and in silk screening in medical device manufacturing.

There are books of information on the questions you have... In order to relate what you are doing to my experience can you give a little more detail on what you are painting and what process you are using? is it paint or printing? That sort of thing.

R

Richard

Thanks for your quick response.
My company defines the product paint spec as per customer's requirements. The contract manufacturer sprays the paint on our plastic enclosures which are provided by us. I believe the powder coating will be used in supplier?s painting process.
I am also thinking car industry has tight paint color control and would like to hear some advice.

A

allan-M

We run a paint line where liquid paint is applied to coils of sheet metal, usually steel. Clearly the color is a pretty important customer requirement, so our tolerances might be tight.
Each paint we run has a physical color standard. We put the color standard in the instrument then read the produced product. Our industry uses the Lab color space, and the specification we use is +/- 0.5 units deviation from standard on any of the 3 Lab scales.
Color in our process, apart from the paint itself, can be especially affected by film thickness, cure temperature and cure dwell time
I don't know much about CIE - Lab conversion
We don't have long runs so drift and calibration is not a superbig concern: pretty soon we will put in another color standard for the next run

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think with powder coating you will see little color variation within lots. You may see it lot to lot though. Coating thickness would be the concern here.
How many colors are you doing?

If it's only a few I wouldn't spend the money on a spectrophotometer, but come up with light/target/dark standards that the customer approves. I'd only worry about color measurement if there are lots of color changes and colors are being mixed for every lot. If the lot of paint/powder is going to last for months then it's not add much value to measure Lab and delta E.

Even more so - if your subcontractor doesn't use a color measurement devices I would stay away and lean toward visual standards.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Hello,
I am a supplier quality engineer working for a medical device company. We are currently very close to launch some new products. The design team intends to assign a tolerance on product color to as per customer?s requirements. A CIE color spec with a 0.5 delta E will be used instead of the current subjective visual inspection with color chips. I appreciate if some one can share some experience in painting process. My questions are:
1. Is 0.5 delta E a tight tolerance for a normal painting process? What are the typical process variations which can affect the color process stability?
2. How is painting process controlled? Is Spectrophotometer used and how often should color be checked? I understand the color measurement can be tricky based on some other relevant threads on this board. Can anyone share process control plan or documents? Is SPC used?
Hope you could help.
Thanks.
Richard
I am the quality manager for a company which does painting for automotive, so perhaps I can give some guidance.

Delta E of 0.5 is EXTREMELY tight - the human eye can perceive (at best) ? 1 unit of color shift, so making a tolerance tighter than that is not really worthwhile.
Process parameters for painting vary depending on the type of painting being done (spray deposition, dip coating, electrostatic, etc). Without knowing how it is being applied, I can't really give you any guidelines on what the normal controls are.
SPC is seldom used in the traditional sense. We monitor our process parameters (temperature and humidity of the spray booths, viscosity of the paint, line speed, cure oven temperature, etc) but many of these are inter-related, so a change in one (ambient temp or humidity) can drive a change in another (often on the fly).
A spectrophotometer is a useful tool, but the final determination of a color match always seems to come down to the human eye. I have seen cases where the Xrite values show a deltaE of less than 1.0, but the customer just doesnt like the color......it looks 'wrong' or 'muddy' or 'sparkly' or (fill in adverb here).
The biggest problem you will run into is defining what is an acceptable level of visual contamination (dirt, lint, runs, etc). Work with your supplier, and ask THEM to explain to you how they would evaluate the suitability of a painted part.

R

Richard

Thanks to everyone for your excellent information.

The paint specification with 0.5 Delta E is specifically required by one of our customers. It may apply to both enclosure and bezel. I believe powder coating process will be on magnesium enclosure and wet paint spray on plastic bezel. We haven't finalized the design yet, but I believe there may be 3 -5 varieties of white on enclosure and 15+ different colors on bezel.

Hope these information can clarify my original questions.

I have some questions of detail process controls such as when and how often spectrophotometer is used? What are the critical process characteristics and test/inspection items? But I am afraid they are too detail for you to help with on this message board. Anyone can share process control plan?

Thanks again for your generosity in providing very helpful information.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Paint Color Standards Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E How to specify Paint or Plastic Color - Pantone or Manufacturer Specification? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
K PCI DSS - MS Paint and other screenshot tools Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Paint finish rejections Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
O Inspecting paint and having workable standards in the supply chain Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P Paint shop vs PPAP requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Paint batch approval procedure for automotive industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Ron Rompen MSA Studies of Instruments in a Paint Shop Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Individual part traceability - ink/paint sprayer? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Who Accounts For Paint Thickness - Not accounted for on Prints Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Ron Rompen Ford Paint Audit Checklist Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B Paint Inspection - Paint Quality (such as rust, peel off, paint sag etc) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L How to Measure Paint Thickness for an Enclosure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T ISO 2409 / ASTM D3359 Paint Adhesion Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
S Where to get GM 4348M Paint or Powder Coating Standard Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
D Medical Device Grade Paint for Metal Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Wes Bucey Paint, tattoo, or photoshop? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 19
V Rust and Paint adhesion with new Weld Nut Supplier Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G How good is our Paint Inspection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
V Evaluation of Paint Specifications including such as GM 9984123 and GM 14671 APQP and PPAP 1
P How to clean paint area tile faster and improve OEE Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Retention Time of Paint Batch Panels once Validation completed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S PPAP Supplier Submission Questions - Automotive Paint IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Assessing Corrosion Damages on Steel finished externally with Epoxical Paint Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M For Bulk Material (eg. paint), are there any guidelines for Ford PPAP Requirements? APQP and PPAP 1
S A Systematic Experimental Approach - Driers for Paint Coatings Using Minitab Software 2
T Spray Paint Manufacturing Processes and related Information Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Absence of Inspection Status Labels on Skids of Paint Pails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Paint Procedure on How to Mix Paint and Water wanted Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
G Hoffman Scratch Hardness Test - General Parameters for Pass/Fail (Paint Coatings) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Implementing a New Quality System in a Paint Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q Pre-Paint Roughness Standard for Scratches in Carbon Steel prior to Painting Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
B SPC for Automotive Paint Manufacturing Packing Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Z Process and Product Validation in a Small Paint Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z Process Routers in a Small Paint Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Opinion needed for Paint Department Job Requirements Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
B Automated paint process control on conveyerized lines - Million dollar question Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
B Manual Paint - SPC for NADCAP Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Powder Paint Supplier Audit Questions Checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
A Cost Effective Methods of Paint Sludge Disposal Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
M Tier II Automotive Paint Shop - questions questions questions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A SPC application for paint manufacturing industry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H E Coat (Electrocoat) Pin Hole Paint Defects - Help needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
G Why has Nadcap made AMS2750 a requirement for paint/dri-lubes cure ovens? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
D Where to buy MIL-DTL-11195G Paint tested to ASTM-D1654 with Certifications Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Anerol C Paint, Sand blast procedures needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
SteelMaiden What kind of corrective action is this? Lead based paint in childrens' toys Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
S Engineering Material Specifications - Paint (zinc phosphate) and e-coat Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
C SPC In a Manual Spray Paint Application Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7