Paint shop vs PPAP requirements

Dear Colleagues,
from few days I'm figting with our suppliers regarding to PPAP requirements, that's why I'd like to ask you for support.

We are a paint shops - for automotive industry - wet, powder and electrophoretic (KTL).
Our paintshops are IATF Certified, but our suppliers (mainly) not.

We're buing:
- wet paits
- hardeners
- powder paint
- thinner
- spray's (for rework)
- undercoat, etc
in general - chemistry.

Our certification body required to have PPAPs for all higher mentioned chemistry.
How you work with chemistry suppliers? They are able to send you fully PPAP?
What are your requirements? How to interprate IATF requirements regarding to this issue?

I'll be grateful for any help and good advice.
I know tht generally this issue is "simple" but when I start to discuss with the chemical companies - They are very negative and I'm wondering what goes wrong...

Best regards
Piotr

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Many suppliers will have a very negative reaction to automotive PPAP requirements. I myself would rather stick pins in my eyes. You'll need to figure out how to diplomatically work with your suppliers to get the PPAP from them. Try to make it as easy and painless as possible. Good luck.

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
if they are making these products only for you as per your specifications, they need to provide PPAP documents.
If they are making general items, with any brand name, not specifically for you but for open market, you may leave them.

Last edited:

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Our certification body required to have PPAPs for all higher mentioned chemistry.
How you work with chemistry suppliers? They are able to send you fully PPAP?
What are your requirements? How to interprate IATF requirements regarding to this issue?

You should ask first for their documents, like the drawing of the painted parts, specifications, and etc..
for painting only, i attached a file for what your customer be needing/requirements.

Attachments

AgnieszkaSz

Involved In Discussions
Have you considering limiting your PPAP level? Can such downgrade be justified (i.e. standard product, no or few complaints)? In hardest cases, your SQA will have to help the supplier (although the PSW is no rocket science).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ron Rompen MSA Studies of Instruments in a Paint Shop Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Implementing a New Quality System in a Paint Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Z Process and Product Validation in a Small Paint Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z Process Routers in a Small Paint Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Tier II Automotive Paint Shop - questions questions questions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
K PCI DSS - MS Paint and other screenshot tools Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Paint finish rejections Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
O Inspecting paint and having workable standards in the supply chain Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
J Paint Color Standards Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Paint batch approval procedure for automotive industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
R Paint Color Control Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Individual part traceability - ink/paint sprayer? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Who Accounts For Paint Thickness - Not accounted for on Prints Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Ron Rompen Ford Paint Audit Checklist Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B Paint Inspection - Paint Quality (such as rust, peel off, paint sag etc) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L How to Measure Paint Thickness for an Enclosure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T ISO 2409 / ASTM D3359 Paint Adhesion Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
S Where to get GM 4348M Paint or Powder Coating Standard Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
D Medical Device Grade Paint for Metal Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Wes Bucey Paint, tattoo, or photoshop? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 19
V Rust and Paint adhesion with new Weld Nut Supplier Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G How good is our Paint Inspection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
V Evaluation of Paint Specifications including such as GM 9984123 and GM 14671 APQP and PPAP 1
P How to clean paint area tile faster and improve OEE Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I Retention Time of Paint Batch Panels once Validation completed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S PPAP Supplier Submission Questions - Automotive Paint IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Assessing Corrosion Damages on Steel finished externally with Epoxical Paint Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M For Bulk Material (eg. paint), are there any guidelines for Ford PPAP Requirements? APQP and PPAP 1
S A Systematic Experimental Approach - Driers for Paint Coatings Using Minitab Software 2
T Spray Paint Manufacturing Processes and related Information Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Absence of Inspection Status Labels on Skids of Paint Pails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Paint Procedure on How to Mix Paint and Water wanted Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
G Hoffman Scratch Hardness Test - General Parameters for Pass/Fail (Paint Coatings) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Pre-Paint Roughness Standard for Scratches in Carbon Steel prior to Painting Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
B SPC for Automotive Paint Manufacturing Packing Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
E Opinion needed for Paint Department Job Requirements Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
B Automated paint process control on conveyerized lines - Million dollar question Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
B Manual Paint - SPC for NADCAP Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Powder Paint Supplier Audit Questions Checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
A Cost Effective Methods of Paint Sludge Disposal Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
A SPC application for paint manufacturing industry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
E How to specify Paint or Plastic Color - Pantone or Manufacturer Specification? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H E Coat (Electrocoat) Pin Hole Paint Defects - Help needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
G Why has Nadcap made AMS2750 a requirement for paint/dri-lubes cure ovens? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
D Where to buy MIL-DTL-11195G Paint tested to ASTM-D1654 with Certifications Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Anerol C Paint, Sand blast procedures needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
SteelMaiden What kind of corrective action is this? Lead based paint in childrens' toys Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
S Engineering Material Specifications - Paint (zinc phosphate) and e-coat Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
C SPC In a Manual Spray Paint Application Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7