Painting on Floor of Machine Shop - What Aspects/Impacts and Hazards to consider?

S

sarasheed

We have a very big Heavy Machine Shop where the floor is of concreat.We would like paint this flooring of this shop with synthatic Enamil paint to give a good look. What are the Aspect/impact and Hazards we have to consider.Can some one suggest the alternate Paint to avoide the above Hazards or impacts?.

sarasheed

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
google this term:
"epoxy floor finish"
I used such a finish for my own machine shop - stopped "chalking" and staining of the concrete
meant no concrete dust contamination of parts or machines.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
what are the hazards involved in using this epoxy? Check the MSDS and as Wes said, research its potential impacts.

Is there a significant impact on your air/water/land quality? What are the positives of using the paint? Are they significant? If using the paint is bad, you need to minimize the aspect. If using the paint will help to maintain the environment, then you can count it as a positive impact.

T

tigerfan51

Concrete Floor Finishing/Painting

Most floor painting projects are preceeded by floor cleaning/scarifying to remove built-up oils/grime, to improve paint adhesion and durability. This is usually done by an outside contractor and involves either a wet process or a dry process where the dust is vacuumed. So you may have concrete dust/residue from floor prep as a new aspect that you have to arrange to dispose. Likewise, you may have a new contractor on site that you have to ensure properly manages his wastes on your behalf.

Wes Bucey

We were [clever or lazy, pick one.] We interviewed several contractors who gave us checklists of all they would do in terms of preparation, environmental considerations, etc.

We moved out everything to the four walls and put in new floors (*broke up old concrete and put in new drains), dropped in new electric in troughs in the ceiling to drop lines down to machine placements regardless of any future machine relocations, new machines, etc. We put in new high efficiency lighting system which increased lumens but reduced annual lighting cost. Drains had filtration system to trap any hydrocarbons or noxious fluids before going to municipal drain system.

We went from being an "average" machine shop to looking like a machine tool showroom. Because the floor was easy to clean, we found everyone "naturally" making an effort to wipe up any fluids and pick up any debris even before the regular floor maintenance guy came around. The reflective surface (non skid, too!) help increase ambient light throughout.

The initial cost is not cheap, but our cost analysis showed long term benefit. (First one was in office carpet cleaning once no more dirt and grime was being tracked in from production area!)

Heck, even the hand soap consumption went down once employees were no longer getting filthy while working.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Wes Bucey said:
We went from being an "average" machine shop to looking like a machine tool showroom. Because the floor was easy to clean, we found everyone "naturally" making an effort to wipe up any fluids and pick up any debris even before the regular floor maintenance guy came around.
:agree1: I've seen the same phenomenon; the combination of good modern lighting and a new floor w/epoxy coating can work wonders for the appearance of a shop, and really does make people more careful about housekeeping.

D

Dave Dunn

How has the durability been on epoxy floor coating? We put down a poured floor covering in a couple of our production areas a couple years ago. It looked good new, but was very easy to scuff, and stains tend to soak into it. I'm not sure what the base material of the stuff is, but I don't think it's a hard epoxy.

J

Jim Howe

floor coatings

At the old Goodyear Aerospace they used a clear epoxy covering that wore like iron. It reminded me of the "conformal coatings" we used on the Printed circuit boards. When it did finally give up it would break up into strips that began peeling away. I was told at the time that it was the best they ever came with. Sorry I cannot recall the name.

Wes Bucey

Ours wore well, too. Today, I would investigate new formulations, not depend on 10 year old info like mine from the 90's. I remember being pleasantly surprised at the possibilities in the 90's compared to when I had looked at similar stuff in the early 80's for a different company. The guarantee/warrantee was better and the price (considering inflation) was actually less per square foot.

We took advantage of the down time in production by sending production staff to training or out on the road to meet with suppliers and customers. Everybody was on the payroll and worked throughout the period. We even managed to get some production done by having two employees run jobs on new equipment we were in the process of leasing (this means we were still negotiating price!) from a machine tool supplier. The equipment was set up at the supplier's showroom to run our part and "prove" the production rate. The supplier was thrilled to be able to bring in other prospective customers to watch the machines in action and talk to our guys about whether they liked the machine or not.

When our floor was ready, we just had machinery movers pack it all up and reinstall on our floor.

H

huseyint

Hi,

We are a machine shop. Our shop floor absorbed oil in past years. Should we clean it before starting 14001 certification?
If we don't what would be the effects of this oil on enviroment.

Thanks in advance..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Robotic Sanding and Painting Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Powder Coat Painting Jigs (Hangers) for Shafts and Joints Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L CQI-12 2nd Edition - Table D, question 2.1 - Powder Coat Painting IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Faster way to Tag Parts for Painting Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Tier 2 Part Approval where Painting is Outsourced APQP and PPAP 2
D Renault Painting Defect Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P What are the causes of painting defects? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Which ISO Standard is needed for a Painting Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Is painting considered a Special Process as defined by ISO 9001 7.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Industrial Painting Inspector training and certification in India Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
H Painting Quality Requirement International Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A CATERPILLAR BGPP (Benchmarking Guide for Painting Process) Questionnaire Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
P How to reduce or shut off Compressed Air for Painting Robots Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Z 7.1d Product Realization Records in a Small Cleaning and Painting Service Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Outsourcing Special Processes such as Plating, Painting, NDT as related to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
Q Pre-Paint Roughness Standard for Scratches in Carbon Steel prior to Painting Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
R Product Identification Procedures for Painting and Sandblasting Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Holding Dimensions Before or After Painting? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
P Name at least 25 out of 100+ world known personalities in the painting Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
P FMEA & Control Plan for painting of plastic parts - Example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 3
P FMEA and Control Plan for Plastic Injection Moulding/Painting Process FMEA and Control Plans 13
V Is spray painting allowed for non-blood contact medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Are Coating, Painting and Labels part of the Enclosure of ME Equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Q 6-32 UNC-2B Threads are Tight after Cleaning before Painting? Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
B Legal requirements - India - Painting, press shop, machining Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
N Painting experts: Coverage area for each litre of paint and thinner mix Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
W Plastic Part Painting/Spray Failure Mode - Sample PFMEA or control plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Control Plans - Painting Facility - QC manager wants to remove some of the specs FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Metal Finishing - Powder Coating and Painting QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
F What is 'floor' in an instrument's specs Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Tagin Recommendations for calibration labels for ESD floor mats General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P ISO 7 Clean rooms - Are sinks, faucets, floor drains etc. allowed? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A What KPI's do you use at Shop Floor Level and Team Boards? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Starting from the factory floor get any respect? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
S Quality Slogans for the Plant Floor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
B ESD Floor Wax on standard tile Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
L How to Introduce the Quality Function to the production floor in a bad environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
S Suggestions for a 100% Paperless Manufacturing Shop Floor Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
P Work Area (Production Shop Floor) Training Matrix Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Marc Deep-sea streaming: 500-mile NEPTUNE cabling brings Internet to the ocean floor After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
R Floor Marking Colors - Clearance Area in front of Electrical Panels Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
N Controlled Document Binders on the Production Floor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Jeff Putman Automotive "Floor Level" Test Temperature IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Introducing Process based approach on Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
I Is facility floor plan a required controlled document? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8