Paper based DHF (Design History File) updates for Software Updates

H

harneet

We have a paper based DHF. DHF contains the information of the software version which was released when the product was shipped to the client. However the updates to the software product are made onsite and there is a lot of overhead in updating the DHF as its a manual paper based system, which inturn is affecting the traceability.

Can someone suggest a better approach for tracing the software version??

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
The content of the DHF is the same irrespective of whether you manage it electronically or as hardcopy.

Sounds to me like the process you've chosen is extremely risky. If you make all changes at the client site, how do you fold those back into the baseline? How do you know the software was properly built? I hope there's only 1 client as trying to do this at multiple client sites would be a nightmare!

Maybe if you can be more specific on what your issues are, we can offer some suggestions.

E

esalsan

The content of the DHF is the same irrespective of whether you manage it electronically or as hardcopy.
True. However, asking a computer engineer to fill in a paper record is hard to achieve.

Not sure what information are you trying to include in your DHF, but it sounds like the overhead is about duplicating the information (from the place you originally get it from to the DHF), maybe adding a reference to the "original" record (if this is the problem) will help.

21 CFR 820.30(j) says "Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain a DHF for each type of device. The DHF shall contain or reference the records necessary to demonstrate that the design was developed in accordance with the approved design plan and the requirements of this part."

T

TAllen

Don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot?

Okay I have a question for you that I was hoping you could give me some insight or direct me to a location where I could get some help on this. The scope of our registration is with an analytical scanner which is used in unison with software developed here at our company. The big issue I have with this is surrounding the DHF and how to continually update or revise the DHF because this software is continually expanding. To give you an example the first four platforms we launched were for products A, B, C, & D with specific installers and templates within the software. Now we are adding products E & F to this which is are additional platforms but the installers and templates are different for this. The original 4 were a version 1.0 and now with products E & F it is version 2.0, but again have additional features that are not included on the original 4 platforms. They are all based upon the same scope but trying to figure our how to manage the DHF with these type of changes is difficult at best because your not changing everything. I thought it best to create separate DHF's for these but my regulatory body suggests keeping it all in one DHF because they are all covered under the scope of the initial product. Is there anything you could give me to help with this or direct me to some sources that I could get some additional help with this?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A ISO 9001- any advise please with transitioning from a paper based system to eQMS and multi site scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Do you use paper or web-based templates for CAPA processes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Paper-based QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P Moving from a Paper based Quality System to an Electronic Quality System Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Migrating from paper based to electronic system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G Paper Based Manufacturing with an Unvalidated ERP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Part 11 Hybrid System - Partial paper based record but with e-signature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Mustapha Paper Record Scanning and Discarding ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Regulations on Controlled Document Size (Paper Size) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
chris1price Archiving of paper records - ISO 9001 7.5.3.1b Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
M MDR - eIFU - When you can supply an electronic IFU instead of a paper IFU EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
qualprod From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R ISO 45001 Lead Auditor Exam paper Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Biological Responses to Metal Implants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US – MITA UPDATES SERVICING AND REMANUFACTURING WHITE PAPER Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Paper on open access – EU postmarket surveillance plans for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001 audits from the perspective of registrants' customers - an interesting paper Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
U Electronic templates for making paper control charts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational COCIR Position Paper Harmonisation of Standards for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational COCIR paper – Advancing Cybersecurity Of Health And Digital Technologies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
qualprod What tier number fits in a company producing paper labels stuck on automotive parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Karl Fischer Titrators and 21 CTR Part 11 and Paper Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
M Medical Device News NB-Med and Team-NB have jointly edited a white paper entitled “White Paper – One Year of Application” Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Position paper Team NB Statement - Patient safety EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G Calibration Certificate, fancy paper or not? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T ISO 9001:2015 by Craig Cochran - ebook or paper? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
M Design of Experiments - Paper Helicopter Example Using Minitab Software 1
A Splitting Paper Routing Job Worksheets AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M How to Measure Paper considering Variation and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
L BSI White Paper on Human Factors/Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 12
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
A Receiving paper from the customer and never knowing when it will arrive Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D How to approach Paper and Electronic Record Control for ISO 9001:2008 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
S 21 CFR 11 - Require paper and hand signatures not electronic Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Kraft Paper / Core Paper MSDS - Plastic Specs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P EU MDD revisions white paper on the proposals for the Medical Device Regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Laser Precision Linear Measurement - Inherrent Accuracy of 10 -6 - Nice PDF Paper General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Can Normal Probability Paper and GPC be created with Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Paper Quality Manual Change Control Methods Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
B Any suggestion on creating the best paper plane that can hit a target perfectly? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
N Converting Paper Records to Electronic Format Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6