Paperless Corrective Actions - Sign Offs for Responsibilities such as Verification

K

Ken B.

After one year of being ISO 9001:2000 certified I am considering going to a paperless system for my Corrective and Preventive Actions. I am a little confused however about not being able to sign these documents. Is it acceptable for names to be typed in under the Root Cause areas and the verifactions? I want to make sure I am doing this properly. Any thoughts on going to this type of system would be greatly appricated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

noboxwine

Kenny---Go paperless across the board !!

Paperless is good ! No where in the standard does it tell me what media I use to manage my system. It is perfectly acceptable for you to sign your C/A anyway you'd like ! Here's what I do:

Any handwritten documentation for the C/A is scanned into a .pdf document. I type all the info into the C/A itself in a .wrd document and insert the scanned files into it. I also insert any e-mails as well. So, at the end of the day, all the information is network available and accessible from one eletronic document in seconds. Groovy, huh ?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Paperless Corrective Actions

Originally posted by Ken B.
I am a little confused however about not being able to sign these documents. Is it acceptable for names to be typed in under the Root Cause areas and the verifactions? I want to make sure I am doing this properly. Any thoughts on going to this type of system would be greatly appricated.
If you say in your procedures/policies that documents need a signature, then you have to have signatures (electronic signatures count) but, why limit yourself? If your workforce is responsible and accountable, why not just say that you will document within the CA/PA who is responsible for investigations, actions, etc? I have never seen a legal document stating that corrective actions must contain a signature.

If you create a database for your system, there are electronic means of capturing who has done what within the document. But, even that is not a requirement. We used word for awhile before we completed our database, we just made sure that everyone understood that if their name was in the assignment, they were accountable for whatever actions they were responsible for. As long as the auditor asks a question and your employee doesn't say something like "I don't have any idea what you are talking about, I've never seen a corrective action in my life" you should be good to go.

A

Aaron Lupo

I agree with Steel and Nobox, however, I must add that you need to consider all the REGULATORY Requirements for the industry you are in. For example I work in the Medical Device industry which is controlled by the FDA, and the FDA wants you to either have Electronic Signatures or they want hand signed. I am not sure what your Company does Ken, but I would suggest checking the regulatory requirments for your industry. JMHO.

J

Jimmy Olson

We us a paperless system for our CA and PA system here and have done so for quite some time. We haven't had any problems and the auditor has never seen a problem with it.

As long as you can show that it's being effective you could probably get away with doing the whole thing on sticky notes :vfunny: (okay, that might be pushing it)

K

Ken B.

I do have one more question. When I print these documents the approval section is not signed. I do keep a master copy of all documents. if the master document is signed is that good enough? will this pass an audit? This is my last stumbling block ( I hope) Thanks.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Ken B.
I do have one more question. When I print these documents the approval section is not signed. I do keep a master copy of all documents. if the master document is signed is that good enough? will this pass an audit? This is my last stumbling block ( I hope) Thanks.
Ken, I think that this depends a lot on what your procedure says (or will say after revision;) ) and as our astute colleague pointed out, if there are regulatory requirements for a signature; and maybe also what program you are using as your electronic file.

If you are using a word processer you can 1) revise your form to read "closed by" instead of "signature" and state that the name of the person responsible for closing out the CAR will be entered to show who was responsible, 2) get rid of that "box" on your form all together, 3) print your final copy and have it signed as you stated.

If you are using a database, why not just make sure that your field titles do not lead anyone to believe there should be a "signature" and make sure that your procedure doesn't say that there are copies that are signed off? (depending upon your industry and the regs)

To make a long story short, whatever works best for you will work for the auditors as long as everyone using the system knows how the process works (and nobody ever says "I didn't do that!);)

K

Ken B.

Thank you Maiden,
Sometimes us new guys need to have things explained in laymens terms. I am in the corrugated Packaging industry so the Regulatory requirements are not really an issue. Our Quaility Manual will be revised and this should take care of this issue. Your help is truly appreciated. Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cathy

I have seen an very good little database that you can buy. It looks after CA/PA. Doc Control and Internal Audits.

There is the web site. I have a demo CD but I don't know if I can Upload it to the site (don't think so but if there is a way I will) http://www.mirams-waterhouse.co.uk/

you can buy the basic package and set it up your self or they will do it for you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Suggestions for a 100% Paperless Manufacturing Shop Floor Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
S Paperless Temperature Recorder for Temperature Surveys on Heat Treatment Ovens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Interested in Interviewing Quality Managers for a Paperless Project Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F Paperless Procedures - Does ISO 9001 Require Paper Documents? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
D Electronic Paperless Documentation Software Discussion Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Paperless Electronic Documents and Records - Softcopy to Electronic Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
K Paperless Electronic Records in a Machine Shop Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
A Paperless Compliance - Planning to set up an ISO 13485 compliant QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
W Paperless Document Control System - Recommendations needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
K Paperless Web Based Quality System Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
C Implementing Paperless for small IT Staffing Firm <10 Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Moving from physical signatures to a paperless QMS - Process and approval sign offs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
K Stamp Requirements for Paperless Traveler AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
kmyers Question about paperless signature - Electronic signatures in outlook emails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Paperless Chart Recorder to Monitor Oven Cycle Temperatures Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
errhine Paperless office software - Electronicly sign process documentation with FAA approval Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
ScottK Bills: what's the benefit to me of going paperless Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
N Hotel comment cards go paperless - Are any of you a Hilton or Marriot guest? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 14
S Validation Protocol for a paperless system? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
L Paperless Quality Control and Communication Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Electronic Storage of Documents - Paperless System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Moving to a Paperless Electronic Documentation System - Seeking Ideas Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
A Transition to Electronic Paperless System - How is Record Retention Addressed Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
J Paperless Systems - How to implement most effectively? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 25
R Implementing a Paperless Documentation, Forms and Records System Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
M Paperless Systems - Software to become Paperless - Seeking Reviews and Opinions Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 60
M Paperless Electronic Document and Records Systems Software Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 19
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Corrective Action Response for Missed bumps on brake press Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
L What to do if a Corrective Action requires several extensions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
qualprod Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
I AS9100D Non-conformance for 10.2.1 b 2 and 10.2.1. b 3 e and f - Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
F Vigilance Reporting - Requirements for manufacturer Field Corrective Actions (FCAs) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8