Paperless Systems - How to implement most effectively?

johnnybegood

Involved In Discussions
Paperless

We used to have hardcopy documents 2 years ago. Then the management approved Doc. Control for going paperless. We benefit from the need to distribute the document, the recall of obsolete document. Save paper, printing cost and storage space. We eliminate the error of Production using older revision doc. We have PC terminal place on the shopfloor but it is very costly to have each PC terminal at each workstation. There are some workstation where the PC terminal is being shared. Since the doc. is available from our intranet system Production can print the hardcopy freely. So there is still an opportunity where Production to use older revision doc. Moreover until today our Production personnel find it very inconvenient of not having the hardcopy especially when a new model or product is being introduced. During this learning curve period, Production prefer to have the doc. on hand. I would appreciate some advised how the paperless initiative can be implemented more effectively.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
johnnybegood:
In what way do you find your system ineffective? We went digital in June this year and it has been a real boon to our system. Everyone has immediate access to our quality manual, including all procedures and work instructions. I have used the .html format which makes it quick over our intranet and everyone can read it at their station with any web browser. The browsers are set to time stamp any pages printed making them invalid after 24 hours. This keeps me from having to worry about copies printed off. Maybe what your people need are copies of certain work instructions? We have a few of those here, and those are controlled.

Save a tree, go digital!

johnnybegood

Involved In Discussions
Russ,

One of the main reason for going paperless is to avoid the error of Production using the older doc. revision. We had hard time managing them as Production love to keep those hardcopy to thier convenient. I don't think we can resolve the potential error of using wrong (doc.) version if we continue to maintain hardcopies. Moreover if we start to distribute those hardcopy then I bet we'll end up going hardcopy system again.
Our paperless doc are in Words, Excel and Powerpoint format. We thought of going pdf format but then by doing so we need to keep 2 sets of doc. in the server ie. one in the original format (doc, xls, ppt) and in the other in pdf. With few thousand of doc. server storage will eventually an issue. Some of the doc. especially those blue prints and build aids are updated regularly and we do retain old revision.
BTW do you spell our in the your Procedure that printing of the hardcopy is a violation? Who is responsible if auditors found Production uses a printed doc. after the 24 hrs. validity period? Production may be issue an non-conformance but the whole Factory fail in the audit. We need to be pro-active to ensure 100% compliance in the audit. More advised pls.

D

David Mullins

AMEN TO THAT

JBG,

Paperless systems are great in an office environment.

Outside of that people are fooling themselves.

They are money and time consuming to maintain.

People in a shop floor / workshop environment have little (no) interest in following the links from screen to screen, when they used to be able to grab a folder. They continue to work to the system as it was in the hard copy days.

I'm sure there are plenty of blind quality experts who'll swear by paper-less systems (as is evident from previous threads). They're the ones who pull in front of you on the road without looking. They also believe they are fantastic drivers.

Quiz the computer programming experts that set-up and mysteriously continue to support and upgrade paperless systems - you'll find they're not all they're cracked up to be.

Now before you shoot your mouth off about how fantastic your system is in your labour-intensive manufacturing environment, take a minute to survey those users on the bottom rung you don't usually talk to apart from the occassional hello. Don't prejudice the discussion. Ask them straight up, would they prefer a hard copy? Ask them if they print off docs from the electronic system - OF COURSE THEY DO - IT DOESN'T SUIT THEM. Stop them printing them and they won't ever look at it again.

SLIGHTLY OFF SUBJECT - BUT AN EXAMPLE NONE THE LESS:
Went to pick up a new credit card from a bank yesterday.
Took my letter.
Took my 100 points of ID.
They enter everything on the computer system.
THEN, they write it in an old scrappy book and get me to sign it. WHY???

E

energy

Re: AMEN TO THAT

Originally posted by David Mullins
JBG,
Now before you shoot your mouth off about how fantastic your system is in your labour-intensive manufacturing environment,
My My, aren't we an irascible fellow? But, I agree with you. Our paperless system is great for those that make their living sitting in front of a computer. It saves on reproducing documents. All the manufacturing documents are hard copies in controlled distribution binders. The worker, not necessarily on the bottom rung (as you put it), does not care for links or spiffy page layouts. Why train a worker who has skills or a specialty to operate a computer? "Get back to work and here are your documents".:biglaugh: "And while you're at it, watch that bottom rung. It's a doozy":ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnybegood

Involved In Discussions
I am not bragging the paperless system here. I am seeking advised how to make it a better system, how we could resolve some of the issue highlighted.

D

David Mullins

OVER-EXCITED

Sorry about the barking.
I've been losing faith in the techno crap for a while, and it continues to get worse!

Software gets bigger but not better - More holes appear and the whole thing leaks like a sieve. Band-width disappears into black holes driven by MS operating systems. Rebooting servers has gone from annual, to monthly, to weekly, to daily, to hourly......

If you want to stop terrorism, sell them Microsoft software and you won't need to contemplate carpet bombing. They'll grind to a halt and surrender!
Hmmm! MS isn't an arm of the CIA is it?

When I write it's like painting a picture - some critics rave, some can, but it's the same picture.

G

Greg Mack

Another perspective

We were happily going down the trail of a paperless system last year through the (miss?) direction of some long-standing members and higher-ups in our team.

We started to publish everything online and were using (still are) a product called HDK that compiles Word files into Help Files.

Anyway, the bottom line is that not everyone is comfortable reading procedures on the screen. Normally, when someone has access to a soft copy system they usually find what they want and print it off anyway! (Take emails for example)

(Sort of like driving with the radio turned up loud and when you get to where you are going, you turn it down because you can't see the numbers on the house!) (That probably doesn't make sense to many :biglaugh: )

Anyway, later this year when those higher-ups left the company and the long-standings were retrenched, I made a move from a different perspective. Intsead of trying to go paperless, I looked at reducing the paper.

With that in mind, I went to a Process Mapping type of document that uses a combination of flow-charts and text. This has enabled me to reduce our procedurre manual by 86%! Yes 86%! :thedeal:

The procedures are retained online in A3 style and reduced to A4 for printed hard copies. The A3 can be placed on the wall where required and is so simple to read, understand, train and audit! Each procedure is only 1 page long.

Stuff digital systems!!!! They are great for desk bound PC heads who only think of themselves when developing a system and not "Joe User". Although don't get me wrong, soft copy is still an improtant part of our system, especially for control, just not the only part, and certainly not the major part.

In my experience people need to touch and feel something to ensure continued compliance.

I have changed our direction that is for sure, but also made a simple system that people WANT to read and use. Good luck to those people wanting the soft copy solution to fit everyone's pocket.

:bigwave:

E

energy

Re: OVER-EXCITED

Originally posted by David Mullins
Sorry about the barking.
When I write it's like painting a picture - some critics rave, some can, but it's the same picture.
David,

I do the same thing! ;) Sometimes I get going and have to retrack some statements and reword them because they appear to be too caustic. Then again, sometimes I just let it fly.:)) My response to your post was intended to get a chuckle, not crticize. keep em coming:bigwave: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Paperless Quality Control and Communication Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Paperless Systems - Software to become Paperless - Seeking Reviews and Opinions Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 60
M Paperless Electronic Document and Records Systems Software Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 19
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Suggestions for a 100% Paperless Manufacturing Shop Floor Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
S Paperless Temperature Recorder for Temperature Surveys on Heat Treatment Ovens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Interested in Interviewing Quality Managers for a Paperless Project Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F Paperless Procedures - Does ISO 9001 Require Paper Documents? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
D Electronic Paperless Documentation Software Discussion Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Paperless Electronic Documents and Records - Softcopy to Electronic Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
K Paperless Electronic Records in a Machine Shop Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
A Paperless Compliance - Planning to set up an ISO 13485 compliant QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
W Paperless Document Control System - Recommendations needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
K Paperless Web Based Quality System Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
C Implementing Paperless for small IT Staffing Firm <10 Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Moving from physical signatures to a paperless QMS - Process and approval sign offs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
K Stamp Requirements for Paperless Traveler AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
kmyers Question about paperless signature - Electronic signatures in outlook emails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Paperless Chart Recorder to Monitor Oven Cycle Temperatures Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
errhine Paperless office software - Electronicly sign process documentation with FAA approval Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
ScottK Bills: what's the benefit to me of going paperless Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
N Hotel comment cards go paperless - Are any of you a Hilton or Marriot guest? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 14
S Validation Protocol for a paperless system? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
R Electronic Storage of Documents - Paperless System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Moving to a Paperless Electronic Documentation System - Seeking Ideas Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
K Paperless Corrective Actions - Sign Offs for Responsibilities such as Verification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 32
A Transition to Electronic Paperless System - How is Record Retention Addressed Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
R Implementing a Paperless Documentation, Forms and Records System Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Why are pharma companies automating QMS systems? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Informational US FDA final guidance – Marketing Clearance of Diagnostic Ultrasound Systems and Transducers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – Guidance on Therapeutic Goods (Conformity Assessment Standard for Quality Management Systems) Order 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Is Design Validation required for fixtures or test systems used to manufacture a product? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Timeframe for IATF 16949 certification to accumulate evidence of conformance of systems? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 3
Z Security for Approvals - Cloud based Complaint, NC, and CAPA systems Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
N EU MDR Basic UDI-DI and Technical Documentation for Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 22