Paperless Systems - How to implement most effectively?

J

johnnybegood

Greg,

Thanks for your inputs. Look like hardcopy is here to stay and the the direction to go paperless should change to paper less. I was wondering how you could manage to write the work instruction a page long. Aren't WI suppose to be detailing how the procedure is being carried out? Is transcript the process into flow chart suffice? Pls. share.
Anyone out there that have been able to manage the paperless system successfully pls. share your experience.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
You write a work instruction in a way it works for that operation. If you have an operator who just puts a part on an assembly the operation may be so simple that OJT is as good as a work instruction. So - why have one?

The more complex the operation, typically the more complex the work instruction.

A 'work instruction' can be anything. A picture, a group of pictures, a flow chart, a text document, a combination of any of these - it's entirely up to you.

J

JodiB

Johnny,
In a previous position, our work instructions mostly took the form of checklists. Each step was outlined and the person completing the task initialed and dated alongside each step. It later became a valuable record and history of what was done and met all kinds of ISO record requirements within body of a single document.

C

Catrina

:vfunny: We use a paperless system as well. Well, sort of. All of our documents (.doc) contain a disclaimer on the first page that reads: Uncontrolled copy when printed. Please check the Intranet for the latest version.

Okay, so then you access our Intranet site. This site contains a doc search utility that searches through the text of documents for keywords. This is handled by MS Index Server.

A user can fill out a form online and email it to the appropriate person. We use digital signatures/certificates.

Word files are rendered to .pdf. Both .pdf and .doc version are maintained.

Forms are created as .dot, .ppt or .xlt to allow users to fill out the form online.

Users are informed that a printed copy isn't always the most current....so CHECK THE INTRANET.

Nuff said:bigwave:

T

Tom W

Hello - I wanted to throw my two cents in on this topic. I have seen paperless systems that worked well. They were set up to have a watermark print off on the pages that stated "Obsolete - For Reference Only", any time someone printed off a document. This automatically made the hard copy obsolete and for reference only. The electronic copy was the controlled version and it was read only. It seemed to work well, as long as people are educated on the use of the system.:)

K

KenS

When I started here every printed copy had in the footer "Valid only on date printed" and the date. This included test procedures that were used for three or four weeks. The document procedure specified that hardcopies be "verified to the latest revision" if utilized on other than the date printed. As an auditer I asked to see documented evidence that the verification was performed. Right.

Then the Vice President of Quality, already a little angry at me for bringing this up, wanted to make all hardcopies "reference", as in an earlier post. As an auditer I better not see anyone documenting a test or inspection on the basis of a reference document. No hardcopy quallity records either.

We have now settled on a system wherein the hardcopy is added to the System Logbook (Quality Record for the assembly) and the cover sheet of the logbook has a space for the rev., date added and intitials. Since there is a limited number of units in the shop at any one time it is quite easier to keep track of changes. When a document is up revved the Production Manager only has to check the first page of each book to see if anything has to be replaced. No discrepancies found in the last six months.

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Finally

We are also finally getting our online system set up. All documents have a footer stating "Document valid for print date only, unless stamped "CONTROLLED" in red. Print date xx/xx/xx" Also another line (to me this is overkill - but until folks are used to it more is perceived to be better) reads "The master document is controlled electronically. Printed copies of this document are NOT CONTROLLED"

Eileen

T

Tom W

"As an auditor..."

As an auditor you don't want to see inspections being performed via obsolete - for reference only documents. That is good, but I did not say they were. Inspection areas have desktops were the inspectors have access to the electronic controlled revisions. If someone is not trained properly, then yes they could refer to a hard copy of the document as what they are using to conduct the test or inspection. With proper training and buy in to the system, it would work. If an auditor is making assumptions on what they think rather than determinations based on the objective evidence, then the auditor is either inexperienced or not qualifies to be doing the job.

Paperless systems can be very successful, especially in a company that actually uses systems like ISO or QS or TS as a tool to improve business, and not just a piece of paper on the wall. However, paperless systems need the support and the effective implementation and training to go along with them. Enforcement (or monitoring) of the system can become a headache if there is not a total buy in to the system.

All approaches to quality systems have there faults. Most of the time money and resources plays the key role in the effort placed into a system. The return on investment needs to be known to guide you on which way to go. For as many experts that are out here, there are as many or more different ways to prepare a system.

Trying to force a system into a situation that it isn't designed for will bring nothing but heartache. Finding out what would work best and what would be best for the business is the key. Paperless systems can work well, but I would caution against trying to go paperless right away. Develop the system and then work to continuously improve through things like going paperless.

Charles Wathen

Involved - Posts
Well, I'm in the process of looking at my current calibration system, as we have passed the 10,000 record barrior, and adding 50-100 new records each and every month. Our calibration lab has 10+ 4 drawer filing cabinets full with calibration records as hard copies of the calibration performed for each of our instruments. I'm running out of floor space!

My manager told me to put together a project showing the pro's and con's of going completely paperless. We currently use Calibration Manager software (Blue Mountain) for scheduling our calibrations only. We record manually on a sheet of paper our calibration data, and it's filed in these cabinets.

Any of you guys our there using a paperless system for calibration? Any feedback is greatly appreicated. :)

Top Bottom