Paperwork not Properly Filled Out and Signed Off

M

MBraun76

Hello everyone,

I just performed an internal audit where I found paperwork which was either not filled out in its entirety or not properly signed off. Is there anything in ISO 9001 that states forms need to be filled out in their entirety and/or all signature fields must be filled out or "N/A"? Or is this an internal process which we need to develop?

I would like to write it up as a non-conformance so we can address the issue but I have nothing to use as a reference. Sadly our own processes need some updating on many subjects including this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jason PCSwitches

Re: Paperwork not properly filled out/signed off

You need to examine your internal document/records control procedure to determine what is acceptable to the organization. ISO only stipulates that these documents must exist and be maintained. The manner of accomplishing conformity is entirely up to your organization.

If nothing is specific, use practical thinking and determine if it should be specified. This may not be a non-conformance, perhaps an opportunity for improvement.

A

arios

This is an interesting scenario, although it would be convenient to see it on a case-by-case basis.

For instance, if the missing signature was an evidence decision-approval for product release, or process deviation, or procedure update, or evidence of training, then I woud consider raising the issue as a non-conformance. You can support the non-conformance stating what is the SOP requirement regarding the needed signature.

As for missing spaces it all depends on their purpose. If the space had not use at all and was obviously not applicable, then an opportunity for improvement is appropriate, if on the other hand the missing data was intended to provide a decision making result, then an NC is more appropriate.

At the end, auditing is not exact science, you as an auditor need to make a decision based on the facts, amount of evidence, impact, implications, previous similiar findings, severity, etc.

Filling out paperwork, and signatures are part of a control system. The real question is: Does there have to be this level of control? If the absense of a signature, or the loss of recorded data could adversly affect the planning, control or operation of the process, then missing information could have serious negative impact.

However, there is a greater danger. Even if the signatures, or loss of recorded data does not adversly affect the process or the product ~ in this case~, are you setting yourself up for issues in cases where it would make a difference. When we start telling folks it is okay to deviate in a certain instance, or area, we add confusion to the process.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

I just performed an internal audit where I found paperwork which was either not filled out in its entirety or not properly signed off. Is there anything in ISO 9001 that states forms need to be filled out in their entirety and/or all signature fields must be filled out or "N/A"? Or is this an internal process which we need to develop?

I would like to write it up as a non-conformance so we can address the issue but I have nothing to use as a reference. Sadly our own processes need some updating on many subjects including this.
Yes, you need to develop this internal process that fits your use.
Go ahead and write up a NC,
Sadly our own processes need some updating on many subjects including this.
you also have a solution written down as quoted.
But remember to see one aspect...
Is it systamatic across and several documents are incomplete and unsigned ? Then your own process needs a updating as you mention. If not them just get them corrected and get moving further.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Maybe a little different flavor here...:D

Paperwork not filled out.... not good to me.

If I am a customer and see any not completed documentation, I wonder "was that important? Did they skip over that part for a reason?"

Sometimes I ask. They respond "Oh... that is for blah, blah, blah and is not needed". I think "Ok, then revise the form; or mark N/A". But don't leave it blank.

So either the information is needed, and needs to be completed. Or that information is not necessary anymore, and the form needs to be revised. Make the forms more useful; it saves times, and increases the chance for it to be completed properly.

So you're auditing the process and their process procedures have requirements for Approval Here, or assure that X is not there, or something like that. If that part of the form is not complete, then they cannot provide evidence that was done. So to me, that is more the deficiency, that they cannot provide the evidence of completion of their own process documents. Again... either the information is needed and should be documented. Or, it's no longer needed, and they need to revise the forms.

Like the others mentioned, I would add a documentation section somewhere stating how forms and documents are to be completed, to not use pencil, don't scribble, don't use pink ink:D, etc.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Paragraph 7.5.3 of ISO 9001 stipulates that product status, related to the monitoring and inspection, must be identified. If your process relies on data, signatures, etc. to indicate completion AND approval of specific operations in the product realization cycle, the missing items (might) violate that requirement of the ISO 9001 standard.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I have questions:
  • What is the paperwork? Is it inspection records of nuclear piping system welds? A purchase order for toilet paper? Something in between?
  • What information is being left off - is it incomplete paperwork or is it just some blanks for data that aren't available or aren't needed? How can you tell?
  • Where is the use of this paperwork called out? Do the instructions clearly state what is to be filled out?
There are times when the lack of data on forms can invite the auditor to inquire about the details, based on the need to determine a process's effectiveness and the fulfillment of standard elements wherever a requirement for records is called out. This seems like such a time.

Back in the dark days when I was inspecting piping welding repairs, we were required to ensure every blank on an inspection record was filled with something to help ensure nothing else was entered after the inspection was over. But not all paperwork carries this level of requirement. It depends on the data, its importance, the likelihood and need to avoid "tampering" and other considerations the organization finds important.

I hope this helps!

J

Jason PCSwitches

we were required to ensure every blank on an inspection record was filled with something to help ensure nothing else was entered after the inspection was over. But not all paperwork carries this level of requirement. It depends on the data, its importance, the likelihood and need to avoid "tampering" and other considerations the organization finds important.

These exceptions should be outlined in the organizations documents control procedures. This will prevent any confusion when an auditor notes a blank space on a document or record.

D

dbzman

When we create paperwork we are inferring that this document is needed for some reason. We put the document into use and expect it to perform some function. This function could be to convey information or to record some decision or action. Since it has been created and is intended to be used it would be an issue with a customer if it was not used properly.

If the signoff is used to show completion and/or compliance then the absence of the signature could adversely affect customer satisfaction and therefore would be a non-conformance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
drgnrider Calibration Schedule (Frequency) not properly reflected on Laboratory Paperwork Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
W Eliminating Paperwork using Inspection Stamps AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Document Control when an ERP System Produces most Forms and other Paperwork Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
I Operator Initialling on Paperwork - FDA Good Documentation Practices Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
C AS9102 - How many pieces need to go on the First Article paperwork? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
bobdoering "It's just extra paperwork" Imported Legacy Blogs 1
sonflowerinwales Titanium, what's the latest from the USA? Falsifying paperwork for titanium Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
C Reducing paperwork and placing in Systems electronically - Electronic documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Registrar system failure - IATF rejected paperwork - Insufficient audit days Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
GStough Looking for Options in Organizing Internal Audit Paperwork - Any ideas? Internal Auditing 20
Crusader Design Control - paperwork takes longer than the complete design project! Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
R Sister Plant PPAP Question - Can we hold the PPAP paperwork and not send it to them? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
L Nonconforming material tag - People are not filling out required paperwork Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Raffy Translating Audit Check List to Guidelines - Paperwork Reductions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
A Interim PPAPs - Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork? APQP and PPAP 2
P Lot integrity - We have many paperwork problems - Wht can I do? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
S Mistake Proofing: human paperwork errors Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
M Help with SCAR - Not all sub-assemblies had properly received a First Article Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion IAF CertSearch Database - Repository of "properly" Accredited Management System Certs ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 80
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Aerospace Parts not Evaluated Properly by Trained Person AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna How do philanthropic foundations ensure their projects are properly managed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Stijloor The Government can not print money properly... World News 8
E Control of Outsourced Processes (not properly described in the quality manual) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 44
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G How to properly check British Standard threads? 3-wire method and a supermic General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 39
M How to Properly Calibrate a Bore Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
K Training package to help train operators how to use a measuring devices properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P U-chart Sanity/File Review - Is the chart constructed properly? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Who is responsible? Checking if the documents are properly in order ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M I have a feeling that my talent is not utilised properly Career and Occupation Discussions 11
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 2
D Photos of filled forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C AS9100 8.3 Procedure for Non-Conforming Parts - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
L Filled examples of a Factor Tree (PDCA-FTA) Analysis or a Training Document wanted Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
O External Sterilization of Aseptically Filled Pre-filled Syringes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Ajit Basrur Do anyone have filled examples of Is and Is Not Analysis ? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
H Surgical Sealant Package Integrity Test for Glass Vial Filled Product Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K NCR (Nonconformance Report) - Basic questions - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Ajit Basrur Pre Filled Syringes (PFS) - Effect of Containers on the Contents 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
E Essential Requirements - Example of the essential requirements filled in ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Should "missed process step" be filled in PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R Airbus AP1003 (environment) form filled in AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc Cardboard Filled Pork Dumplings World News 18