Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project

V

vikram.mehta

Dear All,

Greetings !

Hi all,

Could you help me out with Pareto charting. Mine is a 'Productivity Improvement' project. I have listed the reasons for poor productivity, but I am stuck at the 'Define' phase, wherein I need to create a Pareto Chart. I have listed out the 'defects' or "reasons for less productivity" but I am not able to figure out how to give each defect/reason, a number or percentage. That is, what percentage is each defect of the total ?

I am attaching the details of the project, excel sheet 'Define-5-4-2014'. The 'defects/reasons' are under the 'reasons' tab.

Thank you.

Regards,

Vik

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, this is a LEAN project not a "Six Sigma" project. that said you are startign OK with a reason list for long cycle. in your case I am assuming that productivity means how many reports are processed in a period of time....

the best - and really only - approach to filling out the pareto is to sit and watch several people do several of these reports o fvarying complexity. time the steps, note the number of defects and reworks and voila! you have your answer of which item contributes the most to long cycle time. You will also come up with more items that contribute to long cycle time than on your list.
Next identify which steps are non-value add, in other words do they do that doesnt' contribute directly to the goal fo their job. can you eliminate these steps?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definition Pareto Analysis (80/20 rule) - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
K Pareto Analysis for Common Defects - To pareto or not to pareto Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Getting the Right Things Done - A useful way to apply Pareto analysis The Reading Room 1
J How to use CNX? Pareto-Ishikawa-CNX-SOP analysis - PF/CE/CNX/SOP Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
A How to Subset Pareto Cause in JMP using JSL Software Quality Assurance 4
B Understanding the attached sample Pareto Chart for Customer Complaint Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 20
M Minitab Pareto Chart Text Adjustment Using Minitab Software 10
L Pareto question Microsoft Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
J How to connect FMEA, Control Plan, G8d, 5Whys and Draw the pareto Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
V Minitab Pareto - Trying to plot a relation of Count and Cycle Time Using Minitab Software 5
A Does anyone actually do a Pareto of the Top 5 (highest) RPN's of PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 8
P Pareto Charts - Analytical tools - Form Attached Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
W Sorting in Microsoft Excel .xls - I want to create a Pareto Chart Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 21
Q The Pareto Principle - Organizational Change Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
L Management Review Minutes and Pareto Charts Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
J Vital few or highest pareto? Which issue should be the priority? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 45
N What does a Pareto chart tell me that a pie chart doesn't? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
V Free Quality Tools for drawing Ishikawa Diagram, Pareto Diagram, Histogram, etc. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
V Seeking: Free Quality Tools - Ishikawa diagram, Pareto diagram, histogram, etc. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Pareto vote - Could someone explain the pareto vote process? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2
A Attribute Analysis for colour matching scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Recurrent event analysis software (python) General Auditing Discussions 2
E Normal Condition Hazards in Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M MDSAP and 13485:2016 gap analysis Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
M Gap analysis on ISO 14971:2019 with previous revision ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
H ISO 13485:2016 Gap Analysis by NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M What is PESTLE Analysis and is it mandatory? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
0 Interesting Discussion Analysis of half normal distribution in minitab Using Minitab Software 11
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
M 10993-11 vs 2006 gap analysis Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
Nicole Desouza AS 9100 Rev D Gap Analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6