Part 11 Compliant Document Control Software recommendations

B

Bunny

I am in the process of evaluating document control software packages compliant to FDA and ISO 13485 requirements. Of the 4 I narrowed it down to, they all include other modules that would be useful to our medical device organization (CAPA, NCR) in the future. I was hopeful to get some feedback from you. What companies to you recommend?

I am not sure if I should list the 4 companies here???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bunny

1) They are Part 11 compliant.
2) They offered additional modules.
3) I've heard of one of them.
4) I liked the features offered.

I stopped my search as soon as I found 4 I liked.

L

LNeJame

Hi Bunny,

Just wanted to make you aware that I do work for a quality management software manufacturer The Harrington Group, if you didnt already know... not going to try to pitch our software, unless you are interested in taking a look. Just thought i could help.

There are some things you definitely want to do through your evaluation process.

1) Schedule a web demo/walkthrough, where their sales staff takes you through the product.

2) obtain access to a demo site that you can try out, so you can determine if this is going to fit your needs.

3) Of course PRICING. I know some of these packages can be a bit pricey. But aside from the cost of licensing, also find out costs for training, support, installation, hardware needed, etc.. Also how the system is licensed and that you have adequate licensing to support your implementation.

4) References, the biggest thing IMO is not how the customer is using the software (each company differs), but their experience with the software vendor. Were they prompt on handling support issues? if there was a problem did they bring in the necessary resources to handle it? how long did it take from placing the order to having the system fully implemented?

5) I would also ask to see the terms of the their support agreement. This is mainly to see what their upgrade policy is. Ive heard some horror stories of vendors not support a previous version because they switched platforms.

6) Customization/improvement costs - usually no COTS system will fit exactly into a companies qms, so they will need to make some changes, so what are the costs and turn around time if you want to make changes.

7) Are there any "hidden" costs. Not so much from the vendor, but you may need to purchase something like a SQL server license as infrastructure for the software.

Of course some of these are common sense, but thought i could help.

Thanks,
Larry

Jim Ivey

Grand Avenue Software
There are some things you definitely want to do through your evaluation process.
Of course some of these are common sense, but thought i could help.
Thanks,
Larry
Fantastic list, Larry. It's easy for people to end up stuck with a "least of the evils" solution if they don't start with a list of good criteria before narrowing down their selections. Thanks for contributing.

Jim

L

LindsayJNichols

Great list by Larry - and as he stated your price point is an important factor in focusing the search and then applying his suggestions. Once you have solutions that are at your price point (which currently appears to be in the $80-$100k range is that correct?) then another factor that you should consider is what is involved in migrating your system over and the approach you have taken with your QMS does the solution support the way you have structured your QMS or does it need to be dismantled/reconfigured to work with the solution and are you prepared to do that.

Of course users/ locations/centralized or decentralized QMS approach and growth plans are all big influencers too.

G

GeorgeHall

I also work for a company who produce a Quality Management System compliant to ISO 13485. Again, do not take this as a product pitch please.

One thing I would consider is support opening hours. Do all of the programs offer IT support that is open during the hours you will be using the software? Speaking from experience, it can be a nightmare using a product whose support is closed when you need them most!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 21 CFR part 11 compliant Electronic Document Management Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
W Part-11 Compliant Document Control & Integrated Training Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
D 21 CFR Part 11 Assessment (Fully Compliant or Not) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
S Is Adobe Sign - E-signature for QMS documents - 21 cfr part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
A Alternative to keeping hard copy records that is 21 CFR part 11 compliant Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
K 21 CFR Part 11 (and EU) compliant Digital Signatures on a Production Line Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
M How to validate a system to make it compliant with 21 CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Part 11 Compliant Digital Signature Requirements - Sharepoint Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
D FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Digital (electronic) Signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D Affordable electronic CAPA system (compliant to FDA 21 CFR Part 11) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Software Outsourcing - 21 CFR Part 11 and HIPAA Compliant Applications Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Industry standard for stamped part Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Can credentials (ID/PW) used to login be the same as when applying Electronic Signature (Part 11) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Mains on Patient with Part Attached to Protective Earth in Patient Area IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Documentation accompanying an aerospace part AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H Better to retain previous made parts or one part that is perfect Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Customer Rejecting Part for Basic Dimension Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
H Should we stop inspecting a part if its never been rejected? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M MSA - Dealing with inherent within-part variation in assemblies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Multiple Part Numbers, IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
J IEC 60601 Applied Part - Probes intended to be covered by sheaths IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Saline Infusion- Applied Part, Patient Connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
PQ Systems SQCpack Tech Tuesday Webinar 3-Part Series Using SQCpack Software 0
E Biocompatibility testing of our applied part seems redundant Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A APPLIED vs ACCESSIBLE PART IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
PQ Systems Device Integration with SQCpack - 3 Part Series Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Gage R&R - 3 Part Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday - 4 part series Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday - 3 part series Using GAGEpack Software 0
D Is an ethernet port part of the User Interface IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C DV/PV Test Part Storage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D IATF Requirements if remote plant has no interface with OEMs who are part of IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W Classes and Applied Part IEC60601 Electromedical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Anonymous16-2 Sinks and Sanitation - 21 CFR Part 111 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
O PPAP'ed part manufacturer has discontinued production Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 7
N Reworked Finished Goods (FG) - Part of CoPQ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S 21 CFR part 11 version differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A Is computing Hardware part of the IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
abrego44 AIAG PPAP manual for service part APQP and PPAP 5
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
cgaro62 Using internal audits as part of document reviews Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
A Dielectric withstand of applied part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M List of FAA Part 145 Repair Stations in MS Excel format? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
K 10 parts, 4 operators, 3 replications and each part has 3 location to measure. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
L FDA & 21 CFR Part 11 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 19