Part 145 Repair Station Rating and Capability List vs. ISO 9001 certificate Scope

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I need a little clarification, please.

Is the rating on the certificate similar to the scope on our ISO certificate? For ISO our scope is "New and reconditioning of ballscrews, acme lead screws, spindles and related machine components."

For AS9100 our scope is going to be "OEM and aftermarket manufacture of ballscrews, ballnuts and assemblies."- or something to that effect - we are only making new screws, nuts and various components like flop over inserts and retaining tangs, etc. We don't supply assembled ballscrews to any of our current aerospace customers.

We are only going to be repairing ballscrews under our Repair Station certificate. So I think our rating should just say "Ballscrew Repair". :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Cari Spears said:
I need a little clarification, please.

Is the rating on the certificate similar to the scope on our ISO certificate? For ISO our scope is "New and reconditioning of ballscrews, acme lead screws, spindles and related machine components."

For AS9100 our scope is going to be "OEM and aftermarket manufacture of ballscrews, ballnuts and assemblies."- or something to that effect - we are only making new screws, nuts and various components like flop over inserts and retaining tangs, etc. We don't supply assembled ballscrews to any of our current aerospace customers.

We are only going to be repairing ballscrews under our Repair Station certificate. So I think our rating should just say "Ballscrew Repair". :confused:

Cari,
What if????
I don't know your customer base, but what if your customer's ask you to do more than a ballscrew repair? I would have your certificate cover the same areas as your AS scope.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Part145 Repair Station Capability List

I have to come up with a repair station capability list. The list has to "(145.215b) "...identify each article by make and model or other nomenclature designated by the article's manufacturer..." and we can only list an article after we have (145.215c) "...performed a self-evaluation in accordance with ...145.209(d)(2)." and every time we add a new article we must (145.215d) "...provide [our] certificate holding district office with a copy of the revised list in accordance with...145.209(d)(1)."

145.209 referenced above is the clause describing the procedures that need to be in the manual - basically I need to write a procedure for (d)(1) revising the capability list and notifying the FAA Inspector and for (d)(2) self-evaluation for revising the capability list.

I'm figuring we'll add a description of this initial article specific self-evaluation to the scope of our existing internal audit program and then establish a frequency for incorporating article specific surveillance audits into our regular internal audit schedule. AC145-5 says that the auditor should have "...knowledge of the maintenance requirements for the particular make/model of article to be added to the list." I think our estimators are the best candidates - they are the ones who have all of the requirements and initially quote new articles. Part of the estimating process is determining feasibility (can we do it?) which is basically what this self evaluation is - a feasibility review - do we have all of the housing, equipment, know-how, etc. needed to repair this article.

If our estimators (the technically qualified auditors) create a checklist from the requirements when we first add an article to the list, then a regular auditor can be assigned for surveillance using the checklist created by the estimator.

What do you all think? What do you do at your repair station? Do you choose to audit your capability list on a regular basis? Do you incorporate the initial self-evaluation into your internal auditing program? Or do you keep it with your contract review records?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good Morning, Carol. :bigwave:

We will have what's called a "limited rating" and our limited rating will be "specialized". The only work we'll be doing under FAA regulations is repairing and maintaining ballscrews - we may at some point consider accepting the mating gearboxes or assemblies that the ballscrew attaches to. We will not be manufacturing anything from scratch for these customers - if we report the item unrepairable, then they contact their aftermarket suppliers - which happen to be the type of customers we are satisfying with our AS9100 registration. Your question leads nicely into something else I'm a little confused about.

145.215(a) A certificated repair station with a limited rating may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alterations on an article if the article is listed on a current capability list acceptable to the FAA or on the repair station's operations specifications.

I think OpSpecs are for places that do routine maintenance and repairs for an aircraft or a certain system of an aircraft - like routine instrument checks or regular checklist inspections of the whole landing gear system, etc. I think we will have a capability list instead of OpSpecs because we'll have a specialized limited rating - we don't repair the landing gear, we're the place that those people would send the ballscrew to.

For our limited rating for specialized services, I think our operation specifications will be our article specific repair procedures that are either provided to us by our customer, or that we've developed with input from our customer and approved by the FAA.

I think.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks Al - I am working with that document; I love that all of these documents are free! Actually I started another thread with specific questions about the capability list and the self evaluation required for adding articles to the list.

I think I'm more unsure about the OpSpecs - am I correct in my thinking above: that our operation specifications will be the repair procedures per article part number?

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Cari Spears said:
Thanks Al - I am working with that document; I love that all of these documents are free! Actually I started another thread with specific questions about the capability list and the self evaluation required for adding articles to the list.

I think I'm more unsure about the OpSpecs - am I correct in my thinking above: that our operation specifications will be the repair procedures per article part number?
The OPs Spec is a document the FAA issues as part of your Certificate. I will try to find an example. Their are repair stations that have their certs on the web.

From AC 145-9 Definitions:

o. Operations Specifications (OpSpecs). The official document that describes the authorizations, ratings, and limitations of the repair station.

Your capability list is the major part of your ops spec.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good Morning, Marc -

Thanks for bringing this back up to the front. Most of the handful of covers who are Repair Station savvy aren't daily visiters - I figured it might be a little while for some responses.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M List of FAA Part 145 Repair Stations in MS Excel format? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
F When TSA stop to issue new Foreign FAA Part 145 Repair Station? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
J Part-145 Repair Station AS9100 Certification with Scope for Manufacture/Fabrication AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C AS9100C Audit must include FAA Part 145 (FAA Repair Station)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Currency of Technical Data - FAA Part 145 Repair Station EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
C Part 145 Repair Station Accountable Manager & QE appointments. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M Currently implementing Part 145 repair work - CMM (Component Maintenance Manual) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
gard2372 Implementing Lean Flow in Customized Aviation Part 145 Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
R FAA Part 145 Repair Station Postion Descriptions - Seeking Examples Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
C Separation of Facilities - Part 145 Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
R FAA Part 145 Repair Station Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 18
C Part 145 Repair Station - Accountable Manager AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
S C of C release with accompanying EASA Form 1 for EASA Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
J MAG 6 and EASA Part-145 Issue 005. EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
M Transport Canada - EASA Part 145 (Bilateral) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
S Calibration and Verification requirement for foreign EASA Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 7
T Part 145 Maintenance Station S/N ESN Character Requirements EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
M Can an organisation hold an EASA Part 145 approval WITHOUT a QMS EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
J Maintenance Man Hour Plan which satisfies EASA Part 145.A.30 (example needed) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
X EASA Part 145 / FAA Bilateral Agreement vs. Manufacturing under EASA Part 21 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
A EASA Certification Acceptance - The Russian equivalent of EASA Part 145 (Maintenance) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
C FAA Part 145/M Compliance Checklist EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 7
C EASA Part 145 Audit Programme example wanted EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
J Certifying Staff Training in a Part 21/145 organisation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
R FAA Part 145 Vs. AS9110A Comparison and Differences Matrix Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 6
S How to determine what rating an article falls under - 14 CFR Part 145 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
P Cleaning of Seat Covers under EASA Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
C Desktop Assessment Criteria for Part 145 Certification EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
B Requirements Summary - Part 21g / Part 21j and Part 145 and DAOS EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
A Maintenance of Aircraft Components - European Regulation Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 7
C FAA Part 145 Compliance Statement help Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
D FAA Drug Testing Requirements - FAR Part 145.211 (c)(1)(vi) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
A FAR Part 21/145 vs. EASA Part 21/145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Any News about the FAA 14CFR Part 121 / 145 Requiring Accredited Calibration? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
C FAR Part 145.161(a)(4) - Summary of Employment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Human Factors and FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
F Human Factors & Ergonomics - FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' - Aviation Industry Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 20
D Is an ethernet port part of the User Interface IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C DV/PV Test Part Storage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D IATF Requirements if remote plant has no interface with OEMs who are part of IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W Classes and Applied Part IEC60601 Electromedical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Anonymous16-2 Sinks and Sanitation - 21 CFR Part 111 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
O PPAP'ed part manufacturer has discontinued production Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 7
N Reworked Finished Goods (FG) - Part of CoPQ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S 21 CFR part 11 version differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A Is computing Hardware part of the IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
abrego44 AIAG PPAP manual for service part APQP and PPAP 4