Particle Counter Results - Interpreting Data for a Class 100,000 Cleanroom

A

azaplas

Hi everyone,

I have a question about reading the results from our particle counter data. I took readings using the ".01 Cubic Feet" Sample Volume.

The results I acquired came out to be (in one of the areas of the clean room):
0.5 µm: 300
1 µm: 100
5 µm: 0

We have a Class 100,000 cleanroom, so I would like to know if anyone can help me interpret my data. (We are not required to have a clean room, but we installed one to help improve the instances of burnt diodes for our laser product.) I am comparing to the FED STE209E table standard for now for ease of conversion calculations, but I know that it is no longer used for validations.

Wikipedia reference-linkParticle_counter
(I went there to look at the STE209E table breakdown).

Any guidance and help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

I have a question about reading the results from our particle counter data. I took readings using the ".01 Cubic Feet" Sample Volume.

The results I acquired came out to be (in one of the areas of the clean room):
0.5 µm: 300
1 µm: 100
5 µm: 0

We have a Class 100,000 cleanroom, so I would like to know if anyone can help me interpret my data. (We are not required to have a clean room, but we installed one to help improve the instances of burnt diodes for our laser product.) I am comparing to the FED STE209E table standard for now for ease of conversion calculations, but I know that it is no longer used for validations.

Wikipedia reference-linkParticle_counter
(I went there to look at the STE209E table breakdown).

Any guidance and help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
A 100,000 class clean room must have no more than 100,000 0.5µm particles per cubic ft. Your sample is 0.01 cubic ft. Multiply your 0.5 µm result by 100 to get 30,000, which is within the requirements for a 100,000 clean room.

M

MIREGMGR

Maybe I don't understand your technology and risk, but I'd think if your focus is diode failures due to arc-across you might want to focus not just on particle count minimization but also on particle chemistry.

I'd think that particles based on silicon or light-metal-oxide chemistry would be relatively acceptable, whereas substantially organic particles would have much more hazard potential.

Obviously particle type analysis is much more complicated than just counting, but I'd think it would correlate better with your actual risk...and identifying that as the actual goal would provide better direction to the engineers tasked with making the cleanroom actually solve the problem.

A

azaplas

Hi Al, thanks for the calculation breakdown. MIREGMGR, thank you for the suggestion. We hadn't thought about the different particle types, but that does seem like something that can affect the performance of the diodes. Thanks everyone!

A

aproddutoor

Hi everyone

I know this is not related to this thread but I have a question of my own for a class 100,000 clean room. How frequently do you have to monitor the room for the number of 0.5, 1.0, 5.0 micron particles?

I know the frequency of monitoring might vary from application to application. But I'm looking for some input on the factors it depends on?

Thanks

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone

I know this is not related to this thread but I have a question of my own for a class 100,000 clean room. How frequently do you have to monitor the room for the number of 0.5, 1.0, 5.0 micron particles?

I know the frequency of monitoring might vary from application to application. But I'm looking for some input on the factors it depends on?

Thanks
See post 11.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Kanomax hand held Laser Particle Counter Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
C Hiac Royco 256 Particle Counter Calibrator Manual - Any Copies for Sale? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
E Liquid Particle Counter - Which test is for OQ and which on is for PQ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
M Airborne Particle Counter Calibration - 5 microns particles aerosol General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
D Which Handheld Air Particle Counter do you recommend? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
Q Interpreting calibration result of Air Particle Counter on Counting efficiency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
E Dust Particle Counter Model: Handilaz 301 Operation Manual General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Compressed air system qualification and 1 micron particle analysis Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I FDA requirement for 0.5 and 5 micron particle monitoring US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M ISO 14644 Airborne Particle Count Testing Requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
S Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R Closing out an API/ISO QMS Audit Nonconformance - Magnetic Particle Examination Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Magnetic Particle Inspection Non-Destructive Testing Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Ron Rompen Particle Size Templates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
N Requirements for the Classification of Cleanrooms other than the Particle Count Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
V Image Analysis - Particle Measurement (Characterization) - Validation - Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K SPC to apply for Particle in Clean Room Class 100 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S NADCAP and CCA (Particle Counting) in a Controlled Contamination Area - Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Setting Control Limits for Particle Counts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
L ISO 14644 Result Sheets for Particle monitoring and related monitoring? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
L Magnetic Particle Inspection - Where's the threads? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
ISOsandy ISO 14644-3 - Testing Air for Particle Counts Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
D Gage R&R on a delta measurement - Particle measurement count tool Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Clean Rooms Training - Particle release (personel), Sedmentation velocity of particle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Z Labeler Code - Private labelling for OTC (Over the Counter) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
R Contract Manufacturing - OTC (Over the Counter) vs Prescription Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C Very Small OTC (Over The Counter) Pharmaceutical Company Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
I Selling Over the Counter Medical Devices in France EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Do generic forms bought over the counter need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S FDA and OTC (Over the Counter) Software Use Classification Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 9
P Over The Counter (OTC) vs. POM (Prescription Only Medicine) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
H OTC (Over The Counter) Wipe Product Labeling Guidelines - Question Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
B Over Size Diameter Counter Sinks - Shop Practice Standard or BAC Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Prescription vs. OTC (Over the Counter) Medical Device in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
N OTC (Over The Counter) Product FDA Label Change Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Ron Rompen Looking for counter for my inspector to tally the number of defects discovered Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J0anne Prescription Only vs. Over The Counter Pharmaceuticals because of State Laws 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Would you accept company's counter offer to stay on? Career and Occupation Discussions 28
B Problems with a counter bore & the I.D. hole - .0685mm to .0762mm I.D. hole Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A TPM Template Sheets and Counter Measure Sheets - Robot Welding Systems Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
Marc Single-electron counter breaks new record World News 0
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Raw data retention for Diagnosis Results EU Medical Device Regulations 4
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
Nihls When the MSA results show no operator influence Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5