Particle Size Templates

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, my apologies in advance.

I am looking for a source for particle size templates which are used to evaluate the size of dirt particles on painted surfaces. These templates are (usually) printed on clear plastic, and are 4-8" long, and 2-3" wide, with a 'set' of discs (or rings) imprinted on them in various sizes. Those of you who have done visual inspection for dirt and contaminants already know exactly what I am talking about.

I have not been able to find ANYONE who makes/sells these; in fact, I can't even find them in a google search. Can anyone provide any suggestions or assistance? I know they are out there, it's just a matter of where to find them.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, my apologies in advance.

I am looking for a source for particle size templates which are used to evaluate the size of dirt particles on painted surfaces. These templates are (usually) printed on clear plastic, and are 4-8" long, and 2-3" wide, with a 'set' of discs (or rings) imprinted on them in various sizes. Those of you who have done visual inspection for dirt and contaminants already know exactly what I am talking about.

I have not been able to find ANYONE who makes/sells these; in fact, I can't even find them in a google search. Can anyone provide any suggestions or assistance? I know they are out there, it's just a matter of where to find them.

Thanks
Ron,

I remember a Swedish tool for determining the degree of surface prep before painting.

I'll see if I can track down one of these and if the manufacturer also makes the tools you seek for assessing the quality of the painted surface.

John

Ron Rompen

Chris: The TAPPI chart (never heard of it before, but thank you for that) seems to be similar to what I am looking for, but is somewhat of an overkill. The item I have in mind is worth $1 to $2 (at most) and is printed (or laminated) on a piece of clear plastic. The inspector holds it over the visual defect, to estimate the size of the defect. Definitely not precise rocket science.

Ron Rompen

Ron... Are they more custom made than being available for $1 / $2 ... ?
Yes, they are custom made (at least, I presume they are); the problem is finding someone who MAKES them.

I did get a separate response from a customer who has sourced them locally through a print shop, so I will follow up that route if necessary.

Thanks to all who replied and tried to help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Compressed air system qualification and 1 micron particle analysis Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I FDA requirement for 0.5 and 5 micron particle monitoring US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M ISO 14644 Airborne Particle Count Testing Requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
S Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R Closing out an API/ISO QMS Audit Nonconformance - Magnetic Particle Examination Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Magnetic Particle Inspection Non-Destructive Testing Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
J Kanomax hand held Laser Particle Counter Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
N Requirements for the Classification of Cleanrooms other than the Particle Count Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
V Image Analysis - Particle Measurement (Characterization) - Validation - Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Hiac Royco 256 Particle Counter Calibrator Manual - Any Copies for Sale? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
K SPC to apply for Particle in Clean Room Class 100 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
E Liquid Particle Counter - Which test is for OQ and which on is for PQ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
M Airborne Particle Counter Calibration - 5 microns particles aerosol General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
S NADCAP and CCA (Particle Counting) in a Controlled Contamination Area - Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Setting Control Limits for Particle Counts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
D Which Handheld Air Particle Counter do you recommend? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
L ISO 14644 Result Sheets for Particle monitoring and related monitoring? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Q Interpreting calibration result of Air Particle Counter on Counting efficiency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Particle Counter Results - Interpreting Data for a Class 100,000 Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
L Magnetic Particle Inspection - Where's the threads? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
C In-House Particle Counter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
ISOsandy ISO 14644-3 - Testing Air for Particle Counts Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
E Dust Particle Counter Model: Handilaz 301 Operation Manual General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Gage R&R on a delta measurement - Particle measurement count tool Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Clean Rooms Training - Particle release (personel), Sedmentation velocity of particle ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Unrealistic Packaging Validation Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
F Bayes Success run Theorem for sample size during OQ&PQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M UDI size on packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Device modifications - Clinical sample size rationale EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Sample Size for Design Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C AS9138 Sample Size Determination AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Definition RFS - Regardless of Feature Size (GD&T) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
John Predmore What size pinhole can be reliably detected using visual inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
V Acceptable maximum RSD (relative standard deviation) for an sample size Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Sample size for design verification of variable in single use device Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
I Can subgroup size change daily? (X-bar & R) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
R Sample size for clinical validation/investigation EU Medical Device Regulations 4