Particle Size Templates

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, my apologies in advance.

I am looking for a source for particle size templates which are used to evaluate the size of dirt particles on painted surfaces. These templates are (usually) printed on clear plastic, and are 4-8" long, and 2-3" wide, with a 'set' of discs (or rings) imprinted on them in various sizes. Those of you who have done visual inspection for dirt and contaminants already know exactly what I am talking about.

I have not been able to find ANYONE who makes/sells these; in fact, I can't even find them in a google search. Can anyone provide any suggestions or assistance? I know they are out there, it's just a matter of where to find them.

Thanks

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, my apologies in advance.

I am looking for a source for particle size templates which are used to evaluate the size of dirt particles on painted surfaces. These templates are (usually) printed on clear plastic, and are 4-8" long, and 2-3" wide, with a 'set' of discs (or rings) imprinted on them in various sizes. Those of you who have done visual inspection for dirt and contaminants already know exactly what I am talking about.

I have not been able to find ANYONE who makes/sells these; in fact, I can't even find them in a google search. Can anyone provide any suggestions or assistance? I know they are out there, it's just a matter of where to find them.

Thanks

Ron,

I remember a Swedish tool for determining the degree of surface prep before painting.

I'll see if I can track down one of these and if the manufacturer also makes the tools you seek for assessing the quality of the painted surface.

John

Ron Rompen

Chris: The TAPPI chart (never heard of it before, but thank you for that) seems to be similar to what I am looking for, but is somewhat of an overkill. The item I have in mind is worth $1 to $2 (at most) and is printed (or laminated) on a piece of clear plastic. The inspector holds it over the visual defect, to estimate the size of the defect. Definitely not precise rocket science.

Ron Rompen

Ron... Are they more custom made than being available for $1 / $2 ... ?
Yes, they are custom made (at least, I presume they are); the problem is finding someone who MAKES them.

I did get a separate response from a customer who has sourced them locally through a print shop, so I will follow up that route if necessary.

Thanks to all who replied and tried to help.

Top Bottom