Pass Through Rate Ratio Improvement and Defining Pass Through Rate

Q

qsmso

Dear Cove’s friends,

I conducted the internal quality audit at the final inspection section. They have the quality objective “ 95% pass through ratio”. Their work is only inspecting the product that come from previous process. So, I am confuse that

1. What does it mean for pass through rate? For the current formulation is
Pass through ratio = (total passed product / total inspected product) * 100

2. How can they define their quality objective like that since I have seen none of value added from this process? So, in my imagine, if I would like to achieve the target, fine, just let every pass (OK)

3. The current result is the target is not being achieved, so, I am wondering that what should be the improvement plan for them to achieve the target?
Any comment?

Regards,
QSMSO

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Final Inspection Criteria and Records?

QSMSO, What did they respond when you asked those questions during the audit?
Each location will have their own process, but in general I would presume there is some documented Final Product specification or criteria to inspect against. Also, are any records being maintained?

A

Al Dyer

Maybe I am confused with the term pass through ratio as it applies to final inspection. Does it really mean that 5% scrap is allowed to leave or are they inspecting 95% of the product.

Either way way it is at the least counterproductive and at the most means 5% bad parts go to the customer. (50,000 PPM)

Maybe some more clarification??????

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
acceptance rate

Hello qsmso,

Are your referening to an acceptance rate...that is 95% of the product is accepted on original inspection? If this is what the goal is, one question I have is why is this a "Quality Objective"? Final inspection didn't produce the parts, so how can they be responsible for an unachievable goal???

Perhaps you could provide us a little more info...

Regards,
CarolX

Q

qsmso

Thank you for all responses,
I did check with the final inspection area again, they issisted that the formulation to calculate pass through ratio is

Pass Through Ratio = ( Total OK / Total inspected ) x 100

It means they want to monitor previous processes' performance.
95 % pass through rate means only 5 % they allow for NG products from provious process. They inspect and separate those NG prior to deliver to customer.
But what I also do not understand is what kind of method they can apply in order to achieve 95 % pass through rate without any support from previous process, who actually make root causes of NG.
What I comment for them is to make good analysis report about type of defect they detected and souces where those NG coming from, then report to management.
Any comment?

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
company objective

Sounds more like a company objective than a department objective. The only thing final inspection can do to raise the acceptance rate is to not inspect product and plead ignorance. Begin an analisys of the reject reasons and try to identify trends. Report those finding to the responsible department, get some CA commitment, and then see what happens to your acceptance rate.

Regards,
CarolX

G

goose

Pass Through rate

Follow the grandma's lead.

We had similar situation where "first pass yeild" was 90% aprx. Used a greenbelt team to do historical analysis of the 10%. Segmented and stratified data and learned that vital few contributors to defects were assembly errors, vendor errors and design issues.

Established feedback loops to departments causing defects. Formed "mini" teams to attack repetitive issues.

Project not complete but in 4 months over 60% improvement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crimpshrine13 IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 Remote Support - Pass Through Inventory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
A IATF certification for pass through supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
T Definition Pass-through Characteristics Qualification Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S Definition Pass Through Characteristics - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
D PVC Packaging on Pass Through Parts - An environmental issue? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Geoff Cotton Ford 'Pass Through Characteristics' - Q1 Assessment Checklist Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
S How can a R&D center pass IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J AMS 2750 E Clause3.5.17.13 TUS Pass/Fail Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Z Inspection Form With Pass/Fail Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
B Best place is to purchase IEC 60417 labels that will pass markings test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K UL 6601 - Would an off-the-shelf Android tablet, powered by USB, pass UL 6601? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Can a fail still be a pass? (Criteria Level B for 61000-4-6 Conducted Immunity) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M What CQA Preparation Material helped you to pass the exam? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
I Device Can't Pass IEC 60601-2 ESD Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
B What is the implication for someone who does not meet the 70% pass mark for QMS-Lead. Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Difference between "Pass/Fail Testing" "Test To Failure" "Degradation Test" FMEA and Control Plans 1
Z Pass-Though Characteristics in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S ISO 9001:2008 Sec 7.6 - Can we just log measurement devices as 'Pass/Fail'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 118
B Calculation of First Pass Yield (FPY) Six Sigma 9
S Verify Software System Testing: Verify that results meet the Pass/Fail Criteria IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J Reliability Prove-out, Pass-Fail Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
I Supplier Using Reference Part for PASS/FAIL Inspection Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
G How much time must pass after the first Certification Audit for us to appear in OASIS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Definition Throughput Yield (TPY) or First Pass Yield Calculation - Help Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
N VDA 6.x - Requirements Pass Down to Suppliers ....Obliged?? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
Hami812 Gage R&R on Automated Tool that supports Pass/Fail and some Parametric Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Contractor Pass required for Contract Cleaners? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Hami812 Gage R&R Process Method - Pass/Fail Criteria Offered to Operators vs. Parametric Data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Hoffman Scratch Hardness Test - General Parameters for Pass/Fail (Paint Coatings) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R First Pass Yield - Am I doing correct the First Pass Yield Metric Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to Calculate Overall FPY (First Pass Yield) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
M Limited Calibrations - An instrument that will not pass a full calibration, OOT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
F First Pass Yield Helped Requested Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
R Should the fault tests pass if temperature goes high in short time? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
K False Pass/Fail Information from GR&R (Gage R&R) Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
I Service Supplier Rating where Objective Pass/Fail Data is not Available Service Industry Specific Topics 7
R First Pass Yield Base Line Measurement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
R ASQ CQE Practice Exam - Do I need to score very well to pass? Professional Certifications and Degrees 17
R Formula for calculating Money Value equivalent to 1% FPY (First Pass Yield) Six Sigma 5
M Developing a CPI for First Pass Yield Final Inspection - Need help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
R Pass Thru Gage for Straightness for a Floor Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Is the up-dated ISO 9004:2009 needed to pass audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
QMMike Repercussions of letting your ISO/TS16949 RR date pass.... IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Pass Thru Calibration Certificates? Out-Sourcing Calibration to 3rd Party General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P FPY (First Pass Yield) calculation acceptable? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
D Cytotoxicity testing to ISO 10993-5 results - Is 1/ mild a pass or fail? Other Medical Device Related Standards 7