Passed ASQ Certified Quality Process Analyst Exam! What next?

Q

qualityrick

Just passed the exam yesterday, as a Software Quality Analyst, is there a "next" certification I should begin working towards?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Passed ASQ Software Quality Analyst Exam! What next?

Just passed the exam yesterday, as a Software Quality Analyst, is there a "next" certification I should begin working towards?
Interesting. I've never heard of an ASQ Software Quality Analyst certification. I've just heard of Software Quality Engineer. I've been our section's certification chair for about 16 years.

What to do next all depends on what you want to do or are already doing in your career. If you're just looking at software there is (obviously) the ASQ Software Quality Engineer. Some non-software certifications you might consider are Quality Engineer, Quality Auditor, or Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence. Look here for certifications offered.

Q

qualityrick

Sorry, let me clarify: I passed the CQPA exam. My current position for my company is as a Software Quality Analyst. I did not type that subtitle onto my post, not sure how that happened.

howste

Thaumaturge
One of the moderators may have erroneously changed it. I just corrected it.

Anyway, my answer is still the same as what I posted.

Q

qualityrick

Interesting. I've never heard of an ASQ Software Quality Analyst certification. I've just heard of Software Quality Engineer. I've been our section's certification chair for about 16 years.

What to do next all depends on what you want to do or are already doing in your career. If you're just looking at software there is (obviously) the ASQ Software Quality Engineer. Some non-software certifications you might consider are Quality Engineer, Quality Auditor, or Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence.

Let's say I wanted to go into quality consulting, software dev. business processes being a large percentage of services, but not limited to, what Certifications in what order would best serve me in moving towards that goal?

howste

Thaumaturge

Let's say I wanted to go into quality consulting, software dev. business processes being a large percentage of services, but not limited to, what Certifications in what order would best serve me in moving towards that goal?

I'd go with the CMQ/OE because clients would want to know that you understand the overall quality management system. Then Software Quality Engineer to show that you understand the tools that are relevant to the industry.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

I agree with the earlier recommendation. CSQE and CMQOE are relevant ASQ certs towards your goal. Becoming a Software quality consultant will require lot more. I am sure many others in COVE will add to this discussion.

Besides ASQ certs, you will need to understand implementation using software guidelines for ISO 9001 which is ISO 90003:2014 Software engineering -- Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2008 to computer software, strengthening auditing skills, develop an in-depth understanding of Software Development Life Cycle process, ISO/IEC 12207:2008 Systems and software engineering -- Software life cycle processes and ISO/IEC 15504 series.

I would also suggest that you start volunteering for your State Award Program as an examiner. This will help build your understanding business process maturity. You may also want to review ISO 10019:2005 Guidelines for the selection of quality management system consultants and use of their services. This document identifies additional skills that will help enhance your skills and achieve your career goal of becoming a quality consultant in Software field.

Best Wishes,
Govind

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Congratulations!! :applause: Since consulting involves serving potentially a diverse set of clients with different sorts of challenges, experience counts at least as much as certifications.

Top Bottom