PC Era will End in 18 Months

G

Graeme

I still have stuff on 3.5" floppies (and Zip Disks) I need to copy.
As another data hoarder, I still have stuff on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks (as well as 3.5 inch, ZIP disks, QIC-40 tapes and a lot of old SyQuest EZ135 disks! There's just never enough time to do the data transfers ...

I even have one 8 inch flopy disk - it gets used as a training aid when I am telling people about migrating their archived data to newer data media.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

George Weiss

:topic:
OMG, the 8" floppy!
That was when the operating system, (DOS), (disk operating system), was on floppy, in one drive.
If you were lucky, there was another drive for data.
64kbytes was massive memory!
:topic:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think handhelds are rocketing because most of the people that are buying them are supplementing a computer they already have.
I doubt many people are actually replacing desktops and laptops with tablets and smartphones.
Without more business or school related aps I think you'll see the sales flatten out to be on par with computers as people buy both...

But if they really become a viable business and educational tool I can certainly agree with them surpassing computers for good.

I'm planning on buying a new family desktop computer in 2011. An iMac no doubt.

E

e006823

I think handhelds are rocketing because most of the people that are buying them are supplementing a computer they already have.
I doubt many people are actually replacing desktops and laptops with tablets and smartphones.
Without more business or school related aps I think you'll see the sales flatten out to be on par with computers as people buy both...
I stopped using a laptop for business travel 3 months after the IPhone came out. I gave up my personal desktop and laptop in March of this year. I found that 95%+ of my laptop/computer use outside of the office (even business travel) was for reading and responding to email. The few occasions I need a desk top during travel I've used one at the company I'm visiting or the business center of the hotel I'm staying at. I up load large files to MobileMe and use a document reader app on the IPhone. So far its worked out well and I enjoy not having to carry a laptop when I travel.

A

adickerson

:2cents:If you backup is in the same building as your source data you do not have a real backup.

Backblaze Online Backup
offers $5 a month for unlimited off-site storage.

Cloud Object Storage | Store & Retrieve Data Anywhere | Amazon Simple Storage Service
has cheap hosting rates and high uptime.

Dropbox

is a little more expensive but has a great interface and will work seamlessly with many mobile phones. **Disclaimer** Referral link that gets me free space. By using this link you get an extra 250MB of space as well.**

I use dropbox for all the stuff I want to have fast and easy access to - things like my best family pictures or documents I am working on. On my external hard drive I store copies of everything. I also keep a backup of everything off-site.

If you are worried about storing your files off site due to privacy or security then there is always TruCrypt to keep prying eyes away.

I'm planning on buying a new family desktop computer in 2011. An iMac no doubt.
Based on my experience of nearly a year of Macbook Pro, you won't regret it! I'm reminded daily when working on my work pc how seamlessly the Mac does things. No infernal windows popping open at the blink of an eye to ask me things I don't know the answer to or don't care about. It just takes care of everything!:cool:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apple Product Upgrade Roadmaps: Mac Buyers Guide
I've been using a Mac Mini for most my home computer needs for a couple years now. Wife and kids use a Windows XP machine I have set up in the living room - that's the one I'm switching.

For the iMac I'll wait until the 2011 model comes out and see if the touchscreen thing is real.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I stopped using a laptop for business travel 3 months after the IPhone came out. I gave up my personal desktop and laptop in March of this year. I found that 95%+ of my laptop/computer use outside of the office (even business travel) was for reading and responding to email. The few occasions I need a desk top during travel I've used one at the company I'm visiting or the business center of the hotel I'm staying at. I up load large files to MobileMe and use a document reader app on the IPhone. So far its worked out well and I enjoy not having to carry a laptop when I travel.
That's pretty cool you can do that.
But I write documents while I travel or work from home and occasionally have to access our SAP system and files on several servers. So my laptop isn't going away in the next 18 months unless an MS Office iOS version comes out.

On planes I see people with iPads and iPhones playing games and watching movies, people with Blackberries reading and writing email, and people with laptops using MS Office.
That MS office stuff what the tablets really need to address to kill the laptop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Boeing Jumbo-Jet Era Ending in US as United Retires 747 Fleet World News 3
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
Marc Cathay pilot finds that flight stunts aren't so funny in a new era - Flyby Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
B ISO 11607-1 for surgical instruments sterilized by end user Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational From Medtech Insight – QSR/ISO 13485 Harmonization Update: FDA Enforcement Discretion Likely When New Rule Stands Up; Draft Reg Coming By Year’s End; Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Ronen E Informational ISO 13485:2016 Transition Period End - 1 March 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M FDA News USFDA Proposes to End Temporary Extension of GUDID’s Grace Period Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
supadrai My short yet eventful stint as a regulatory affairs lawyer dude is coming to an end! Career and Occupation Discussions 1
L Cytotoxicity at the end of life-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
T New to WEEE Directive - Selling a medical device directly to a professional end-user RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
P Sample of an end-use-letter for drugs according to FDA requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Forced NOT to meet End Customer Expectations - Corrupt Third World Country ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Who is the Customer - Who is the End User Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Colin I am retiring at the end of this month - March 2017 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Stem Cell stimulation to end tooth Root Canals World News 0
C Calibration Dates - Exact day or end of month? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
A End of Life for Medical Mobile App (Stand Alone Software) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
somashekar Info about a specific federal regulation - End use and end user information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A How to handle complaints after end of specified medical device life-time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J How to document discontinuation or end of life for a software version ? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
A Medical Device Distribution in the EU to Patients (End-Users) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Callout of a length dimension and then P.I at the end - What does that mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Biocompatability on End Component Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
T Will the End of Windows XP Support affect anything in AS9100? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
R End of Fake ISO 13485 Certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
A Device End Of Life Regulations and Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
hogheavenfarm Allowable End Gap of Split Lockwashers Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M SOP for Egg Washing at the user end in the Catering Industry Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
J The end of the world is nigh!!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 41
T End of Line Testers - When to use Red Rabbits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Justification for Month End Calibration Date Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
B Need ideas for a friendly bet - Year-end food drive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
M Calibration of measurement equipment when product End Of Life is near General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B End of Contract Notice to Employer Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M 8.2.1.1 - Customer Satisfaction - How to satisfy the end requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
optomist1 Feature Control Frame is applied to the end of a Cylinder - Datum Dilemma Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T Outsourcing Shipping Product directly from our Warehouse to the End Customer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N 1st Shift vs. 2nd Shift Production Crews - How to end this war? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
N Doubt on Bias study for EOLT (End Of Line Tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
V PPAPing an end of line Motor Tester APQP and PPAP 2
A When does a project end inside a software product? Life Cycle issue IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
T Reducing End of the Line Skipped Rabbit Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
N Gage R&R on an EOLT (End Of Line Tester) - Include Reference or not? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B Performance Qualification Question - Downsizing the end of a tube Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5