PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3

MasterBB

Involved In Discussions
Hello community and experts in PCBA drawings.

I am looking for best practices on what to include in the drawings notes, etc.

a. Good statements related to IPC Class 3.
b. Notes related to Lead Free Solder, etc.
c. Cleanliness requirements & levels
d. Any other tips, would be helpful
e. This is for a Medical device and transitioning into Lead Free / RoHS compliant.

Many thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am new to the PCB assembly world, having worked in bare PCBs for a while, but can help a bit.

Some of the items below seem obvious, but too many customers forget things and don’t get what they want as a result.

The best print notes give all the essential details without leaving important details out. Remember even though your company always does something a particular way, the assembly shop has other customers who use a different method and need more details than someone at your company would.

For your board, state finished assembled boards shall comply with “IPC-A-610 class 3” (“IPC-A-610” is the proper document name). You should also reference a drawing preparation and interpretation spec. ANSI Y14.5 2009 is the most common in the United States, but I have seen older versions or different documents referenced. I have seen bare PCB drawings where the difference between versions was significant.

Reference any other general or top level specs, such as your company specific specification document, if any. I am amazed how often suppliers customers fail to inform the supplier and then complain about an unusual requirement that was “missed.” IPC specs reference other required IPC specs, so there is no need to reference other IPC specs unless they are not referenced as a requirement by the higher level specs.

Cleanliness requirements vary quite a bit. You will need to decide what the correct level is for the type of medical device. The flux used impacts the cleanliness of finished boards. No clean flux leaves more residue behind than properly washed cleanable flux.

Many assembly shops prefer to create their own panelization drawing so they can optimize the panel to their equipment. If you feel you must create a panelization drawing, follow the IPC guidelines.(I don’t have the number handy.) Otherwise assembly shops may have problems assembling your boards.

While not directly related to print notes, when you send the data to potential suppliers, be aware some PCB assembly service providers now prefer data in IPC-2581 format. My company charges more for submissions in other formats because IPC-2581 is more efficient for us. My best guess is in a few more years, many to most assembly shops will prefer IPC-2581 due to the greater efficiency.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
D Software Validation - Contract manufacturer of Components (PCBA's) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
alonFAI Determining PCBA Xray Test Sampling Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Who is doing BGA cross sectional analysis in assembled PCBA in INDIA? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
T Faulty PCBA - Our Testing Fails but Manufacturer's Testing Passes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
D PCBA Lab Temperature & Humidity Requirements - Advice needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
N Off Shore Supplier PCBA REACH Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
P SMT (Surface Mount Technology) and PCBA Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
O PPAP Validation for Electronic Parts (PCBA) APQP and PPAP 6
T PCBA Verification and Testing Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
U Validation of Wave Solder Process - PCBA for Medical Products Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
P Brightness Specification for PCBA Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Q Reliability of a Ferrite Inductor mounted on a PCBA Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
Q PCBA Qualification Plan and Protocol example wanted Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H Basic questions about Installation, Operational & Performance Qualification - PCBA Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
quality1 PCBA Visual Inspection Tools & Methods - discounting Optical Tools Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
N PCBA (Printed Circuit Board Assembly) Conformal Coating Material and Thickness? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Would Design & Process FMEA (PCBA) be sufficient to fulfill requirement of Cl 7.1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Using Weibull to Calculate an Optimal PCBA Burn-In Test? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
P Can anyone help with ESD Protection (PCBA)? How is ESD generated? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T CSE 5.01 reference on drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Manufacturing without a Formal Drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D GD&T Drawing Question - I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Accounting for Drawing Notes in PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3