PCN Notice (Product or Process Change Notice) Content Requirements per JESD46C

K

kualititaj

Hi,

Is it a requirement or implied, in JESD46C, that the type of change i.e. Major or Minor be stated in the PCN notice that are either sent to customers or to webistes?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: PCN Notice Content Requirements

Hi,

Is it a requirement or implied, in JESD46C, that the type of change i.e. Major or Minor be stated in the PCN notice that are either sent to customers or to webistes?
I don't think so since the notification of a minor change is not required, but dependent on customer requirements. Only major changes require notification according to the standard.

3.2.1 Classify changes(s)
The proposed change should be classified as either major or minor. Each supplier shall include in their internal PCN specifications a list of what constitutes a major change (See Annex A for examples). Customers must be notified of major changes, whereas notification of minor changes
may or may not occur depending on customer requirements

Classification is not listed in para 3.3 as part of the minimum content.

K

kualititaj

Thank you for the response.

But should the PCN document that is either posted on a website or sent to the customer, clearly state the category of change on it, eg. under change type: Major or Minor

Further clarification would be appreciated.

Regards:

Z

zeptech

I have a question with regards to PCN.

I am a Quality personnel in my company department which is doing wafer and chip processing.

We produce chips (diced from wafers) to send to our End Of Line (EOL) production to build into package.

After dicing prior to sending to EOL we have 'die sorting' process which pick and place dice (chips) from diced wafer into 'sorted wafers' according to bins.

Previously this die sorting process was done in-house. But now we are going to outsource this pick and place die sorting process to a subcontractor, new and old flows will be as below:

Old: Chip processing in-house -> die sort in-house -> EOL in-house
New: Chip processing in-house -> die sort at subcon -> EOL in-house

Question is, is this a major change is PCN needed?

The argument is: die sort is not really a value-added process which does not affect form, fit, function, quality, reliability.

Please advise. Thanks.

Z

zeptech

Hi, one year ago I posted the above post.

The subcontractor has been qualified and notification to customer via PCN.

Now, management would like to shrink in-house production and expand subcontractor capacity. Thus many in-house machines are planned to be shifted to the subcontractor.

I understand equipment relocation is a major change and requires PCN; however, to look at it from another angle -- we can consider that our subcontractor is adding equipments to current plant, and instead of buying the equipment from OEM, they are buying from our company instead.

With this argument, then we only need to perform qualification per normal change and the most only need to notify customer about added equipment and PCN not needed.

I am seeking for advise from you all.

Thanks.

Top Bottom