PED 2014/68/EU - Is this Traceability audit finding correct?

Hi all,

Hopefully you can help with my PED 2014/68/EU query.

My company has been certified to PED Module H for many years.

During a recent audit, the auditor raised a finding, citing the Essential Safety Requirements point 3.1.5 Traceability and stated that: "The material manufacturers ISO9001 certificate are required from the mill in which the material is manufactured."

We retain our metal suppliers ISO9001 certificates as standard but they are often stockholders for the material not the mill were the material is produced. The material is identified by the supplier and we receive the material certificate. This is checked and the material is tagged and traced by us internally.

ESR 3.1.5 states: "Suitable procedures shall be established and maintained for identifying the material making up the components of the equipment which contribute to pressure resistance by suitable means from receipt, through production, up to the final test of the manufactured pressure equipment."

In your experience, is the auditors finding correct, or should I be pushing back?

Many thanks in advance

Glen

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Sounds to me that as long as you have full traceability of the material to the source you are fine. ISO 9001 certificates of mills seem irrelevant to that requirement.

Added in edit: The above doesn't represent a proper review of all applicable PED clauses, it is only a response to the contents of the post and the text cited in it.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
In your experience, is the auditors finding correct, or should I be pushing back?
Even though I am not a subject matter expert on PED, I've had some training on the topic. The PED states:

The equipment manufacturer shall take appropriate measures to ensure that the material used conforms with the required specification. In particular, documentation prepared by the material manufacturer affirming compliance with a specification shall be obtained for all materials.

For the main pressure-bearing parts of equipment in categories II, III and IV, this shall take the form of a certificate of specific product control.

Where a material manufacturer has an appropriate quality-assurance system, certified by a competent body established within the Union and having undergone a specific assessment for materials, certificates issued by the manufacturer are presumed to certify conformity with the relevant requirements of this point.
The interpretation that I was provided for this, in more mundane terms is that the mills producing the pressure bearing materials have to be ISO 9001 certified by a certification body that is accredited by an accreditation body in an European Union country.

So, in principle, yes, you should have a system in place to monitor that the MILLS (forget the distributors) where the material comes from has a valid quality system (ISO 9001) certified, issued by a CB with the proper European accreditation, in good standing, IF you are basically relying on the material certificates to demonstrate conformance with requirements. Many times, the material (inspection) certificate has the logo of the CB that certified the quality system of the mill, but, technically that is not sufficient.

Good luck.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Where a material manufacturer has an appropriate quality-assurance system, certified by a competent body established within the Union and having undergone a specific assessment for materials, certificates issued by the manufacturer are presumed to certify conformity with the relevant requirements of this point.
Sounds to me more like an option (presumption of conformity) than a hard requirement, but I'm not a subject matter expert either.

Hi All,

Thanks for the input and assistance.
I had a trawl through the guidance document (cannot post link to the document) and found the following information:

G-04 (page 161) mostly talks about internal marking and traceability.
G-05 (page 162) starts talking about the manufacturers appropriate quality system
G-07 (page 165) again mentions the manufacturers appropriate quality system
G-16 (page 174) finally mentions the Manufacturers must have a quality assurance system of at least ISO9001. So yes, we need to ensure the manufacturers have ISO9001 certificates.

I guess the confusion started with the auditor not citing the part of the standard that's states this correctly.

Thanks for the assistance

Glen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) - Fastener questions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Do I need to comply with both the MDD and the PED for my Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
O Pressure Equipment Directive PED (97/23/EC) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
T Who pays for certification to the PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
C PED Documentation (certificate and declaration) for Conformity Validation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
N Check Valve and Pumps for Gas Compression Systems - Ped 97/23/ec? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Suitability and Meaning of PED (Pre-Established Dispositions) to Quality Objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
5 What is PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
R Interpretation of PED Annex 4.3, last paragraph (appropriate quality-assurance system CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
ScottK Another surveillance done, another year of ISO9001 and PED registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B List of PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certified Material Suppliers needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 17
K PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification - We hold an ASME 'S' stamp CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
ScottK Requirements for CE Marking a component to go into an assembly (PED) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
ScottK My Birthday Plans for Next Week... PED Module B & D audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Sean Kelley How to get PED certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R ISO 10079-1:2014 on electric powered nasal aspirator Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
K Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Informational EU Review and assessment of market surveillance activities 2014-2016 – Medical devices sector Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Harmonization dates of IEC 60601-1-2:2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
O IEC 60601-1-2:2014 Test plan guidance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Testing to IEC 60825-1:2007 vs. IEC 60825-1:2014 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M API 6D-2014 24th Ed. Pto 6.10 - Heat Treatment Equipment Qualifications Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
E PMDA Act, Nov 2014 revisions - source in English? Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
B RoHS Directive 2014/5/EU Leaded Solder Exemption RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P JIS T 0601-1:2014 Transition Date IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R 510(k) Draft Guidance issued: 2011 vs 2014 - Appendix C. 510(k) Process diagram gone US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M BS 10008:2014 Registration - UKAS accredited company in the UK to assess our company IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
Hershal First ever college football playoff? 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Ajit Basrur Happy Birthday Claes - 2014 Covegratulations 8
Marc Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays - 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
R Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC Customer-Specific Requirements - Dec 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
bio_subbu NBOG Publishes revised best practice guidance documents (Nov 2014) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Active X and latest update from Microsoft - Dec 2014 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
K May 16 2014 Official Journal of the European Union Publication - 60601-2-33 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Hershal Holiday Season 2014 - Giving to others Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Wes Bucey Thanksgiving - 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 6 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 5 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 3 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
Hershal Veterans Day - 11 November 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M Australian Meddev Regulations Updated 5 Nov 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Medical Device Labeling - Order No. 6 Effective Oct 01, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 7
V Is MHLW Std No.169 - 2004 being Revised in Nov 2014? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5